California Alert!

This is a discussion on California Alert! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; HERE IT COMES.... ALERT: East Palo Alto Police are paying people to give them information on gun owners!!! Golden State 2nd Amendment Council ^ | ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California Alert!

Exclamation California Alert!

HERE IT COMES....
    ALERT: East Palo Alto Police are paying people to give them information on gun owners!!!
    Golden State 2nd Amendment Council ^ | April 13, 2007 | Mark Towber

Posted on 04/13/2007 5:13:31 AM EDT by Oakleaf

All,

While I was driving south on 101 I passed by the Ikea store which has a big electronic sign. There was one ad that said:

"$1000 REWARD For info on people with guns”

The sign had a silhouette of an AR and the logo for a police dept. The sign advised people to report gun owners at the following number 650 321 1112

Ikea appears to own the sign but they use a company called Smart Sign Media to take care of the ads that run. (800-549-7300)

I called Smart Sign Media and was told by "Cheryl" that the ad was placed by the East Palo Alto Police. They were offering up to $1000.00 reward.

I called the 650-321-1112 number and was routed to a lady in police admin at 650-853-3160. I could not get the lady's name but she told me that the program was designed to get the public to report young men who were seen with guns in the street.

When I asked her what happened with these reports she said that these were only considered “incidents" until an officer checked them out.

When I asked her what she meant by checking them out, she said they would dispatch an officer to the address and see if the person had the “proper paperwork" for the weapon. If not, they would confiscate the gun and hold it pending further investigation. At this point a true report would be filed.

When I asked her to define "proper paperwork”, the process for getting a gun back, etc. she got very evasive and said I had to talk to a sergeant. I was then left on terminal hold. I called back twice with the same result.

I need the following:

A. Include a request to have as many people as possible call 650 853 3160 and ask to speak to the sergeant on duty. Get as much info as you can about the program and the details.

B. Get people to start calling Ikea in East Palo Alto and find out why they are allowing this to go on.

C. Get this information out to as many other 2A groups as possible.

Many thanks,

Mark Towber, President, Golden State 2nd Amendment Council
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

Lightbulb RE: California Alert

This is unsurprising to me. It was only a matter of time. But watch for this tactic to spread nationwide (especially if it works and there is little resistance)... first to other antigun jurisdictions like Chicago and Detroit and later to a small southern town near YOU. Especially if the Jihadi's strike using firearms.

THIS is just the tip of a mighty BIG and mighty MEAN iceberg.
    Last edited by ExSoldier; April 13th, 2007 at 06:25 AM. Reason: spelling
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Can we just sell California back to Mexico?
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Good grief.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger View Post
    But then they're still technically attached to the US. I'm hoping for the big one to just separate it from the continent and make it it's own island.....In all seriousness though...I have in-laws over there that do own firearms...I'll try to pass this one along.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I'm not at all surprised to see harassment like this, and yes, it will spread to New York, Chicago, and anywhere else where the people in charge get off on stretching their powers to the absolute limit of legality.

There is something similar going on in the New Orleans area - giant billboards with a body-shaped chalk-line and a big revolver, along with a phone number and an admonition to "report guns. save lives" or some such nonsense.

As for sending an officer to your house, and asking to see your guns and "Ihre papieren bitte", I don't believe that's actually legal. Without a search warrant, he can't come in, and I certainly wouldn't bring my guns out for him.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Soo.... unless you have a receipt for the purchase of the gun and it matches the address on your drivers license... you lose your gun until the police department decides (on its own terms) when to give it back.

Calling in people with guns? LOL I'd love to see them try this in rural Arizona. The cops would be going ape-**** trying to chase down 3/4 of the state.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Senior Moderator
    Maybe someone should flood that # with calls of legimate gun owners.

Of course we have to know what they mean by "Proper papers"

Can anyone say "Let me see your papers" with a thick German accent?
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    They should call and report every time the see an East Palo Alto Police Oficer - that is a "person with a gun," is it not?

"Yes, gun hotline? I just saw a man with a gun going into the Krispy Kreme on Main Street, send over an officer right away!"
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

wow

And I thought Hitler was dead,"your papers please'

Angry Palo Alto Police State ??

I'll match that and raise ya! Give 'em California and a couple of bazillion pesos too!

VIP Member
    IANAL, but isn't there a national law which makes it a felony for public officials to deny citizens their civil rights?

Of course, it's not like the Circuit Court covering California would do anything to uphold the rights of firearms owners.

Send It BACK?

California IS the capital of Mexico...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    California IS the capital of Mexico...

ret
    I wonder what percentage of the people in kalifornia are mexican citizens anyway.

Find a friend who needs another gun.

The two of you go buy 1 gun each.

Save every scrap of paper from the purchases of your guns.

Call the number and turn each other in.

You each get $1000!

Whether they take that gun or not, you still have enough money left to go buy another gun.

Repeat.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links