Letter to MSU about weapons

This is a discussion on Letter to MSU about weapons within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey guys, After the shootings this morning at VT, I'm writing a letter to the president of Michigan State University displaying my concerns. I jotted ...

Thread: Letter to MSU about weapons

Letter to MSU about weapons

Hey guys,
    After the shootings this morning at VT, I'm writing a letter to the president of Michigan State University displaying my concerns. I jotted some stuff down but it's not going to win a pullitzer anytime soon. Any advice or suggestions would be great. Thanks

Mrs. Simon,
    In light of the recent shooting at Virginia Tech University, I am concerned about the possibility of a shooter on MSU's campus. I do not believe it would be difficult to hide a rather large number of weapons and ammunition on one's person and to come onto campus. I currently have a hockey class and carry a very large bag every day to haul my gear around. I could theoretically hide an arsenal in my bag everyday and never get a second look from anybody.

In the event that this would happen I do not see any way that a student, faculty, or visitor could defend themselves from this attack. I understand in Michigan it is a law for Universities to be pistol free zones. (MCL 28.425.01). However the MSU has gone further under ordinance 18.01 by not allowing any weapon at any time on any campus property. As Universities are weapons free zones if I was going to attack somewhere I would go where I know there are no weapons to attack me. I believe this makes the people on campus very vulnerable in the event of an attack.

If the concealed pistol license law is changed to allow license holders to exercise their right to carry on college campuses I would hope MSU will reevaluate their policy. Currently there are about 135,680 concealed pistol license holders in Michigan. In the time from July 01 2005 to June 30 2006 there were 255 crimes committed in Michigan by concealed pistol license holders while carrying a pistol. That average is .0019. Additionally if one has obtained a concealed pistol license then the University can be sure that person has been fingerprinted, state and FBI background checked, committed no felonies, been confirmed to have mental stability, completed pistol safety training, and has an average crime rate of less than two tenths of one percent. I do not believe the University can be that certain of all those things about the rest of the students, faculty, or guests.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ms...t_181416_7.pdf
    www.mcrgo.org
    Last edited by RidemCowboy; April 16th, 2007 at 01:47 PM.
    <Yep that's really me rounding up a herd

2. Remove Ads

You may want to change the end where you state "...has an average crime rate of .19 percent." This could read "has an average crime rate of less than two-tenths of one percent". I missed the decimal point after reading it twice and others may too and think it reads 19%. I think the long written version makes it sound smaller too.

Just my .02

I think you have a good opportunity to sway some opinions in the administration. Likely, though, the University President will only be one voice of many on such a decision.

Suggestions:

1. Work on the wording. Something with a bit more oomph.

2. Work on the facts. If you're going to include statistics, get a couple/three more and make them hard-hitting. Perhaps your state's firearms lobby group could assist.

Mrs. Simon:

As you have no doubt heard, yet another instance of mass murder has been perpetrated at a university campus, this time at Virginia Tech. Reports indicate that more than twenty victims perished in the crime spree, which went on for more than two hours.

Michigan State University is not so different from Virginia Tech. Like Virginia Tech, MSU resides in a state that allows for the legal carrying of concealed firearms by licensed citizens. MSU also advertises itself as staunchly anti-violence and anti-firearm, going to far as to have a University policy indicating that no firearms are allowed on campus (MCL 28.425.01).

I would like to draw your attention to this "no firearms" policy. Think for a moment about any school shooting you have heard of. Invariably, that campus was a designated "no firearms" campus. That campus was advertised as having nothing but disarmed people. That campus was, by policy, a designated free-fire zone for criminals who, by definition, disobey laws and policies as not being worth the paper they're written on. No amount of bureaucratic paperwork could have stopped any school shooting, from Columbine to Virginia Tech. Why? Because disarmament of those who would legally carry firearms for self-defense and protection of life has been so successful. That's a good thing, right? Wrong.

Criminals do not obey signs. They ignore policies. They laugh at the idea that a chosen area of attack is known to be devoid of the ability to resist by virtue of an advertised "no weapons" policy. By University policy, criminals gain but students lose. By what standard does MSU choose to disarm all law-abiding citizens on campus, to the detriment of safety and security?

In light of the recent murders at Virginia Tech University, I am concerned about the possibility of a shooter on MSU's campus. It would be trivially simple for a criminal to hide any sort of weapon and ammunition, despite whatever policy MSU could choose to enact. In the event of a similar attack, few if any students or staff would have the ability to defend themselves, is evidenced by the similar attack at Virginia Tech.

Legally licensed carriers of firearms in Michigan number more than 135,000, though fewer than 255 crimes (in 2005-06) were perpetrated by these people, representing less than 0.2&#37; of the licensees. Those seeking to legally carry firearms must undergo a federal and state background check; they must be fingerprinted; they are certified to not be mentally incompetent or unsuitable to carry a firearm; and they must participate in training on the law, firearms safety, and firearms handling. Do you know half this information about any other students or visitors on campus?

In point of fact, those licensed to carry firearms in Michigan represent some of the most law-abiding citizens in the state. Most importantly, citizens who choose to legally carry a firearm seek nothing more than the ability to defend themselves when attacked, something they are pointedly denied the ability to do when on campus at MSU.

I strongly urge MSU to consider review of its policy prohibiting the possession and carrying of weapons on campus by staff, faculty, students and visitors. Criminals will attack when and where they choose. Neither telphone calls, cries for help nor prayer will quickly stop a criminal attack the moment it starts. However, if the University supported the legal carrying of firearms by authorized citizens on campus, then such attacks as Virginia Tech has experienced could, indeed, have a chance of being stopped quickly, by people legally authorized by the state of Michigan to carry a firearm for self-defense. Lives could be saved at MSU, in such situations. The safety of students, visitors and campus faculty and staff could all be improved, in this way.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Of those 255 crimes by liscensed individuals how many actually involved a weapon?
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

There were more than 255 crimes committed by CPL holders, that's the number committed while carrying, I'm not sure how many were actually using the Fire arms to commit the crime

To put the number of crimes committed by permit holders in perspective, you might give them the per capita rate of crimes committed by law enforcement officers. Not to pick on LEOs, but they do have a higher rate of criminal activity in most states.

Joe

where would I find that raytracer?

I had the same idea about writing to Wayne State. You've got a pretty good start on it, looks like. Unfortunately MI law is still against us even if we somehow get our respective universities to employ a little rational thought.

You'd have a better chance of getting the state legislature to change our law, then MSU, Wayne State, and U of M changing their policies. The whole reason they are in place, is because they are not bound by state law.
    Those 3 schools, due to some weird legal reason(never had it explained completely to me) are equal to the state legislature on their respective campuses. Hence them banning concealed carry everywhere on campus, instead of just dorms and class rooms as state law says. You cannot even legally carry in the parking lots of these schools, which we all know, is legal, in every case of the "gun free zones" that are listed by state law.

Our state legislature may be open to some change, even though the Dems now have the house, and our gov is a -tard. The bill to eliminate the "safety inspections" has been introduced. Before last Nov, I remember being told, and reading, that eliminating them, or even getting a bill introduced, would be near impossible. Now its being done. I have a friend who goes to WSU, lives there on a off campus apartment. He takes day classes, his gf does night. He takes his gun with him everytime he picks her up, he does not let her walk home alone, regardless of the Univ policy. Her life and his life take precedent over some stupid rule. They hope to transfer after this year, they want to get the hell outta the city. Can't blame them. Lived there myself till I was 14. Thought it was bad then. Now I see it now when I visit the remaining few friends still in the city(most have gotten out when they could), I can't even compare.

You guys are all correct, and I'll send a form of the letter to my school newspaper, home news paper, legislature, and administration

I Would Not Mention...

anything negative about CCW'ers...Why? Those points will be the only facts read and remembered by those who read your letter.

Simply make common sense statements about self-defense, perhaps giving stats about crime in gun zones : vs : gun-free zones...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links