Defensive Carry banner

Let your voice be heard in the aftermath of the VT Shooting!

763 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  obxned 
#1 ·
I'm sure most if not all of you are witnessing the beginnings of the fallout of this horrific tragedy: well intentioned, but grossly misguided individuals starting to post their calls for stricter gun laws since they reason that tougher access to guns would have made VT safe by reducing and/or eliminating the killer access to the weapons he used.

We here all know that to be a fallacy.

I implore you to let your voices be heard; but in a respectful and mindful manner as this hue and cry is in the aftermath of tragedy.

I posted this on two sites (I did make a minor change in my second posting of this message which was on the NY Times blog section....they haven't posted it yet...no surprise there):

This is a sad event to befall the families of the dead, the VT community, the City of Blacksburg, the State of Virginia, and this great Republic of ours.

The fault of this horrific tragedy falls on the feet of the now deceased killer.

The lack of gun control is not to blame. If anything regarding guns is to "blame," then blame the fact that yet another "gun free zone" allowed a person who had no compunction in violating the law and/or local regulations by taking a firearm to VT and their "gun free zone" and commit mass murder which is, as far as I know, also against the law.

This brings me to the crux of my argument. The lawless will violate the law; regardless of that law and its supposed reasonableness. Gun control laws are not reasonable; they take away a means to defend oneself from harm. Indeed, we are perhaps one of the few life forms on this Earth that regulate the defense of oneself and place that responsibility squarely on our fellow man.

The supposed "reasonableness" of laws and regulations that create these "gun free zones" most certainly facilitate the deranged and/or homicidal in committing their heinous acts as they (correct) assume that help in the form of armed law enforcement may not interdict them in time to carry out their rampage.

Upon the defeat of VA's House Bill 1572, which would have allowed legally armed college students to carry handguns on campus, VT spokesman Larry Hincker gleefully announced, "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus." Such hollow and foolhardy words as this day dawns.

I sincerely hope that someone with some fortitude says "no more" in the wake of this shooting and others where no one with a legal firearm could attempt to stop the carnage.

I close this message with a prayer and condolences extended to the family and friends of the deceased. God bless all of them.
If you do choose to post, please run a spell check, don't use UPPER CASE, and for the Lord's Sake, don't curse or come across as a Neanderthal. The anti-gun side thinks we are all knuckle-draggers; no need to prove their (foolish) point.

Again, post and be active; if we pro-gunners act now as we did when Zumbo posted his anti-AR/AK messages a month back, then they'll be no mistaking our united position.

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
I'll echo srfl's point about being polite.

Certainly there needs to be a resounding voice heard from our side of the fence but measured and respectful, however much we feel otherwise sometimes.

In my local paper this morning was an article about the PA bill on gun registration .......... the response from PA gun owners has been overwhelming and thus very effective.

We have a voice and need to use it, carefully.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.