What does the 2nd Amendment mean to you?

This is a discussion on What does the 2nd Amendment mean to you? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There are three other polls regarding this subject; however I found them to be a little confusing. Links to the other polls: http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...highlight=poll http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...highlight=poll http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...highlight=poll ...

View Poll Results: Read the post below, then answer.

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • That neither the federal nor the state governments can legislate / regulate matters pertaining to firearms.

60 65.93%
  • That the federal government can, but the state government can not legislate / regulate matters pertaining to firearms.

3 3.30%
  • That the federal government can not, but the state government can legislate / regulate matters pertaining to firearms.

7 7.69%
  • That both the federal and state governments can legislate / regulate matters pertaining to firearms.

7 7.69%
  • Other.

14 15.38%

Thread: What does the 2nd Amendment mean to you?

There are three other polls regarding this subject; however I found them to be a little confusing. Links to the other polls:

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...highlight=poll

My poll…

With regards to firearms, what does the Second Amendment of the Constitution of the United States means to you? Text of the amendment:

“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

Voted other because I believe that arms doesn't mean firearms specifically. To clarify though, I feel that there should be no legislation on it.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

The Constitution is very clearly written, only Clintonist-style, "what do you mean by____....?" deconstructionists have difficulty with "interpretation".

Q: what does the second amendment mean to you?

A: Everything.

What does the 2nd Amendment mean to me?

The 2nd Amendments simply states that the government (Federal or State) has no write to deny our GOD GIVEN RIGHT to self defense.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

VIP Member
    I agree it is not limited to firearms, but I voted that neither can (should) regulate.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

It Means Freedom From Tyranny...

I should be able to have a Tank with machine guns in my backyard...don't know if I could afford the gas though...

No regulations...

Stay seriously armed...stay relatively safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The government may not in any way legislate against my right to keep any firearm I might choose, including full auto, for the purpose of self defense OR for removing a government that does not abide by the Constitution.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

The U.S. Constitution's "Bill of Rights" is the core group of statements of limitation on government action, specifying what the government may not do in critical areas of personal liberty and rights that pre-date the formation of the U.S. government and which cannot be infringed upon or wiped away as if those rights did not matter.

The right to freely speak, freely associate, bear arms in self-defense, to be free from unreasonable government intrusion, to have a fundamental right to privacy of one's affairs, to be free to seek happiness and fortune in a way one sees fit to pursue, the right to own/acquire/sell property, the right to a public juried trial and to face one's accusers in open court. These are the foundation stones on which this country's framework was laid. They are sacrosanct and may not be touched by the temporary holders of public office. The fact that they've been defiled for more than two centuries by authoritarian-leaning individuals usurping power in their public offices is an appalling national shame that rides on the heads of every U.S. citizen.

The discussions of the Congress leading up to the ratification of the Constitution clearly indicate these elements to be specific limitations on the government, that these rights applied to each individual.

In my opinion, these elements of the Constitution absolutely hold true over any legislation the individual States may choose to enact.

At a time when the meaningfulness of the entire Constitution is at stake, the meaningfulness of the 2nd Amendment's power over abuse and tyranny cannot be overstated. It is, quite literally, the only thing that can withstand forcible State abuse at the point of a gun.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Interested in comments from those who voted "other".

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    I voted for "That both the federal and state governments can legislate / regulate matters pertaining to firearms.". Now before anyone jumps me , here's why.

First, I think anyone should be able to own anything (or do anything) so long as it does no harm to others. If the kid next door wants to build a rocket capable of attaining low earth orbit, more power to him, just so long as my house doesn't go up in smoke with the launch. The same holds true of guns. If retsupt99 wants and can afford that tank, cool. It would be great if I could go for a ride sometime, but thats a whole separate issue.

However, the big thing as far as I'm concerned is the "own anything (or do anything) so long as it does no harm to others". If Bob wants to do drugs, I don't care. But if Bob gets high and kills my wife, I think we all know what my response will be. If Bob has a gun, cool. If Bob used said gun in a robbery, he just gave up his right to own it. Thats were I can tolerate the federal and/or state gov stepping in.

So I guess the short answer is that the only government control (of weapons) should involve criminals and the mentally unstable.

According to much of what I have read, this puts me squarely in the "Libertarian" camp. Maybe a topic for another poll.

So, am I way off base? Is that to much government influence, or to little? I always like hearing others opinions.
    Last edited by lacrosse50; April 19th, 2007 at 06:45 AM.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

I'm in the definite minority believing as I do that nothing in the 2A prevents the government (state, federal, county, or otherwise) from regulating firearms as long as such regulation does not infringe on my right to keep and bear arms (I vote other, since I believe that they only have the right to regulate when they meet that standard).

Take the first amendment as an example. The City of _____ has the right to make you purchase a permit to gather and protest _____ and to arrest you if do not purchase the permit. However, if they refuse to issue you a permit because they do not like your message, then they are infringing on your right of free speech.

I do believe the government, when given permission and/or instruction to do so by the people, have the right to regulate who can own and bear what firearms and other weapons. It is not unreasonable in my opinion (although many here would disagree) for society to say that Stinger missles cannot be owned by the general public and only those with a need for such a weapon can receive a permit for such. However, if they do not allow me to own and bear a weapon of personal protection, be it a pistol or a long arm, then they are clearly infringing on my RKBA.

The gray line for me is at fully automatic weapons. Personally, I think it should be kind of tough to own them but not as tough as it is right now, but other reasonable people, on both sides, could disagree.
    Human Beings understand Reason, Compassion, and Dignity

Predators understand Strength

The 2nd Amendment means freedom to me and the ability to protect myself and my family. Steve48

Quote Originally Posted by cagueits View Post
    Interested in comments from those who voted "other".
    As I indicated above, I voted other because I do not believe the government has a blanket right to regulate anything, let alond the RKBA but that do have a right to regulate things within the limits of amendment (although government exhibit an unfortunate tendency to extend those limits where possible).
    Human Beings understand Reason, Compassion, and Dignity

Predators understand Strength

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    I vote other because any possible regulation should be done at the local level and not farther. That way the laws are less broad and more precise to whatever instance that happens to exsist in that town, and if there becomes a policy that is out of wack with the consent of the people then the local level people are replaced much faster than any other group

In general I defer to freedom above all else. Making any possible legislation a local level issue increases such freedoms.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Links