Letters to the Editor thread.

This is a discussion on Letters to the Editor thread. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Over 200 of my letters to the editor have been printed. I follow the instructions you advocate. It works...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Letters to the Editor thread.

Over 200 of my letters to the editor have been printed. I follow the instructions you advocate. It works
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

2. Remove Ads

My letter to every member of the U.S. Senate and U.S. Congress follows.

What is it about the phrase “gun free zone” that signifies safety and security? Nothing.

Those precious words, immortalized on signs at schools, parks and other places around the country don’t do a thing to actually provide any safety or security. Not in the least. The bloody massacre at Virginia Tech, on April 16, has shown exactly that yet again.

According to the Virginia Tech spokesman, Mr. Larry Hinker, it is important to recognize that students, faculty and visitors “feel safe” when visiting the VT campus. Oh really? More important than actually being safe? Not hardly.

At places of forced disarmament like Virginia Tech’s campus, victims are summarily deprived of their ability to protect themselves, as a matter of policy. It certainly cannot be expected that murderers and other violent criminals will obey signs and policies when it comes to committing their crimes. The result? Only the innocent victims are disarmed and left helpless.

Consider the range of safety and rescue equipment in use by individuals and organizations all over the globe: ropes, knives, fire extinguishers, flares, firearms, telephone and satellite equipment, all-terrain vehicles, saws and axes, and any number of other implements. These are tools used in emergency situations, each of which has no good substitute. When a fire breaks out, there aren’t good alternatives to fire extinguisher. When a violent attack breaks out, there aren’t any good alternatives to a quality defensive firearm, when the chips are down and a murderer makes himself known.

I am acutely aware of the fact that by living in Oregon, I am assured the right to carry a concealed firearm if I choose, even onto school campuses and buildings. The Oregon legislature wisely recognized that forced disarmament of victims does nothing more than play into the hands of violent criminals. The result? A free-fire zone devoid of people with any ability to resist or withstand an attack. In Oregon, Utah and other places that specifically reject the disarmament of victims, no blood has flowed to the streets as a result of this policy. Sadly, there are far too many that cannot bring themselves to understand the simple reality of this.

The blood of the innocents at Virginia Tech should not be allowed to be just another blip on the radar. The murderer whose rampage sparked sadness and consolation around the world has also lit a fire of outrage and disbelief at the callous myopia that seeks to disarm innocent citizens and deprive them of all ability to defend themselves against attack.

Now is the time to act. Now is the time to correct this grievous wrong perpetrated on the citizens of this country. The Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution acknowledges the inborn right of every individual citizen to keep and bear arms in self-defense. At the time of the founding of this country, it was well-understood that the right of all people to be armed and self-sufficient in their ability to look after themselves was crucial to maintaining freedom … whether from tyranny of government or from terrorist or murderous actions by violent criminals.

It cannot be justified that safety results from keeping innocents unable to protect themselves. Tell that to any one of the families of the 32 dead who gave their lives for no purpose, this week. Please, give their death meaning. Have mercy on the suffering innocents of this country. Lay down your opposition to victim disarmament and push to acknowledge that law-abiding citizens have every right to be able to defend themselves. You owe it to the dead at Virginia Tech. You owe it to the living. We owe it to each other, as citizens of the United States.

Regards,

xxx xxx xxxxxxx
    Oregon citizen
    Last edited by ccw9mm; April 21st, 2007 at 08:27 AM. Reason: spelling errs
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

No offense, but no Congressman is going to read your letter. It is just way too long. They'll read the first sentence, quickly skim the rest, and mark an X in the "got a letter from a pro-gun advocate" column.

Actually, more likely, the Congressman will never see it. An aid will be the one who skims it and marks the X.

Quote Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
    No offense, but no Congressman is going to read your letter.
    None taken. The offensiveness is at The System that promotes disregard of legitimate opinion. The mere fact so many tens of thousands email and write to a given senator in a year doesn't help, either, in terms of time to read any single opinion.

I figured the topic deserved more than a curt "Murderers unite around gun-free zones, so ban them." Nine out of ten will round-file the damned thing anyway, like as not. Can't fix that.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Man, I've been on so many newspaper and TV news sites in the last two days, answered so many polls and generally shot down so much liberal BS that my head is spinning.

Almost every single poll I've seen has CCW/ RKBA winning by a landslide. Every news article that allows a response has CCW/ RKBA posters all over it like a fat kid on cake.

Uncle Ted and some others have been doing a pretty fair job making our position heard on TV.

I really think we're holding our own on this one, but more is always better I suppose... and we can't let up.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    The problem I see in all of this is that we are distributing letters and talking to people who are already on our side. We are preaching to the choir. We need to get our positive and RESPECTFUL views into the hands of people who may be on the fence and into the hands of people who really CAN make a difference for us.

Get the word to people who need to hear it.
    As I understand it letters to legislators on things like this work more as a poll or vote than an actual letter. They have staffers who tally up opinions from both sides and see which way the wind is blowing.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    None taken. The offensiveness is at The System that promotes disregard of legitimate opinion. The mere fact so many tens of thousands email and write to a given senator in a year doesn't help, either, in terms of time to read any single opinion.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links