The anti-Ted column--"Let's lay down our guns"

This is a discussion on The anti-Ted column--"Let's lay down our guns" within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/18/com...ate/index.html LOS ANGELES (CNN) -- Most days, it is not at all hard to feel proud to be an American. But on days such as ...

Thread: The anti-Ted column--"Let's lay down our guns"

Angry The anti-Ted column--"Let's lay down our guns"

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/18/com...ate/index.html

LOS ANGELES (CNN) -- Most days, it is not at all hard to feel proud to be an American. But on days such as this, it is very difficult.

The pain that the parents of the slain students feel hits deep into everyone's hearts. At the University of California, Los Angeles, students are talking about little else. It is not that they feel especially vulnerable because they are students at a major university, as is Virginia Tech, but because they are (to be blunt) citizens of High Noon America.

"High Noon" is a famous film. The 1952 Western told the story of a town marshal (played by the superstar actor Gary Cooper) who is forced to eliminate a gang of killers by himself. They are eventually gunned down.

The use of guns is often the American technique of choice for all kinds of conflict resolution. Our famous Constitution, about which many of us are generally so proud, enshrines -- along with the right to freedom of speech, press, religion and assembly -- the right to own guns. That's an apples and oranges list if there ever was one.

Not all of us are so proud and triumphant about the gun-guarantee clause. The right to free speech, press, religion and assembly and so on seem to be working well, but the gun part, not so much.

Let me explain. Some misguided people will focus on the fact that the 23-year-old student who killed his classmates and others at Virginia Tech was ethnically Korean. This is one of those observations that's 99.99 percent irrelevant. What are we to make of the fact that he is Korean? Ban Ki-moon is also Korean! Our brilliant new United Nations secretary general has not only never fired a gun, it looks like he may have just put together a peace formula for civil war-wracked Sudan -- a formula that escaped his predecessor.

So let's just disregard all the hoopla about the race of the student responsible for the slayings. These students were not killed by a Korean, they were killed by a 9 mm handgun and a .22-caliber handgun.

In the nineties, the Los Angeles Times courageously endorsed an all-but-complete ban on privately owned guns, in an effort to greatly reduce their availability. By the time the series of editorials had concluded, the newspaper had received more angry letters and fiery faxes from the well-armed U.S. gun lobby than on any other issue during my privileged six-year tenure as the newspaper's editorial page editor.

But the paper, by the way, also received more supportive letters than on any other issue about which it editorialized during that era. The common sense of ordinary citizens told them that whatever Americans were and are good for, carrying around guns like costume jewelry was not on our Mature List of Notable Cultural Accomplishments.

"Guns don't kill people," goes the gun lobby's absurd mantra. Far fewer guns in America would logically result in far fewer deaths from people pulling the trigger. The probability of the Virginia Tech gun massacre happening would have been greatly reduced if guns weren't so easily available to ordinary citizens.

Foreigners sometimes believe that celebrities in America are more often the targets of gun violence than the rest of us. Not true. Celebrity shootings just make better news stories, so perhaps they seem common. They're not. All of us are targets because with so many guns swishing around our culture, no one is immune -- not even us non-celebrities.

When the great pop composer and legendary member of the Beatles John Lennon was shot in 1980 in New York, many in the foreign press tabbed it a war on celebrities. Now, some in the media will declare a war on students or some-such. This is all misplaced. The correct target of our concern needs to be guns. America has more than it can possibly handle. How many can our society handle? My opinion is: as close to zero as possible.

Last month, I was robbed at 10 in the evening in the alley behind my home. As I was carrying groceries inside, a man with a gun approached me where my car was parked. The gun he carried featured one of those red-dot laser beams, which he pointed right at my head.

Because I'm anything but a James Bond type, I quickly complied with all of his requests. Perhaps because of my rapid response (it is called surrender), he chose not to shoot me; but he just as easily could have. What was to stop him?

This occurred in Beverly Hills, a low-crime area dotted with upscale boutiques, restaurants and businesses -- a city best known perhaps for its glamour and celebrity sightings.

Oh, and police tell me the armed robber definitely was not Korean. Not that I would have known one way or the other: Basically the only thing I saw or can remember was the gun, with the red dot, pointed right at my head.

A near-death experience does focus the mind. We need to get rid of our guns [WOW...why doesn't he just say BAA ]

2. Remove Ads

JT
    My head just exploded.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

This occurred in Beverly Hills, a low-crime area dotted with upscale boutiques, restaurants and businesses -- a city best known perhaps for its glamour and celebrity sightings and unarmed and rich easy targets for criminals.
    Fixed.

VIP Member
    These students were not killed by a Korean, they were killed by a 9 mm handgun and a .22-caliber handgun.
    This has to be the most insane comment of a seemingly unending slew of insane comments to come out of this situation. This person (and I use that term loosely) is actually writing, for all the world to see, that he believes that these two pistols spontaneously flew to VT and killed 32 people. Of all the incredibly stupid things I have heard recently, this tops the list. How does this person's phenomenally small brain even carry out his basic life-support functions, much less allow him to walk and talk? Sigh... I have to stop reading these things, they are seriously depressing me...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    This person (and I use that term loosely) is actually writing, for all the world to see, that he believes that these two pistols spontaneously flew to VT and killed 32 people.
    You haven't heard? Here's what really happened...

Quote Originally Posted by http://blamebush.typepad.com/blamebush/

Guns Used in Shooting Spree Possibly Had a Human Attached to Them

Two hours after several students were gunned down at a Virginia university today, gunshots erupted again on the other side of the campus.

As the news media scrambled to ask what firearms were used in the rampage and how quickly we could ban them, rumors surfaced that a human being may have somehow been attached to the weapons at the trigger. Several witnesses described seeing a young Asian male's fingers wrapped around two 9mm handguns that seemed to be magically floating in mid-air.

No one is sure how it happened, but it’s possible that the guns sucked him into Virginia Tech through the Gun Show Loophole and dragged him around the campus while they fired indiscrimately at helpless students. If so, it'll be the worst such incident since a pair of assault weapons dragged two helpless students through the halls of Columbine High School in 1991, murdering 12 innocent teens. Like the Columbine tragedy, the guns that attacked Virginia Tech ultimately turned on their host, and their wild killing spree came to an end.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

VIP Member
    It would be funny if people didn't really believe it, no? Man, I tell you, this stuff is ruining my otherwise sunny dispostion...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Is that seriously real?

EDIT: Wow, it is real. On the bright side though, it had a link to an article by the Nuge. Which made my day better.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    Is that seriously real?
    What I posted? No. It’s from a parody site that blames Bush and conservatives for everything. Pretty funny stuff.

These students were not killed by a Korean, they were killed by a 9 mm handgun and a .22-caliber handgun.
    NO! Those evil handguns did _NOT_ stroll through the corridors of higher education aiming and firing themselves! These students were killed by a madman. The tool he used is even more irrelevant than his heritage!

Would the victims be better off if he had used explosives to accomplish his twisted goal of newsworthy suicide? Dead is dead, and murder is murder. With no more resistance than he was presented with, he could have used a kitchen knife... with the same terrible results!

...he chose not to shoot me; but he just as easily could have. What was to stop him?
    Two to the body and one to the head? Situational awareness? Not having a sheepskin pulled over your eyes? Here's a better question for you: What's going to stop the thief from shooting his next victim? How are you going to feel, after demonstrating how easy it is to rob someone, when that red dot becomes a gaping hole in his next victim's forehead? You've certainly done nothing to discourage it!

Surrendering to evil does not discourage it. If someone could wave a magic wand and destroy every firearm in the world, criminals would simply return to the tools they used to accomplish their goals prior to the invention of firearms. Since 'Harry Potter' is fiction, and guns are reality, how do you think we could keep guns out of the hands of criminals? Do you think we could be as successful as we have been at keeping out illegal drugs?

A firearm in the hands of a potential victim is the single, best defense our less than perfect species has yet to invent. Removing that defense encourages evil to persist.

** Edit: Slightly revised version of these comments sent to CNN.com in response to Mr. Plate's article.
    Last edited by cmidkiff; April 20th, 2007 at 02:08 PM.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    What I posted? No. Itís from a parody site that blames Bush and conservatives for everything. Pretty funny stuff.
    The bad thing is........good humor is based in truth. That is the way most anti-s feel. They truly believe that guns are to blame (along with Pres. Bush & anybody on the right), instead of the miscreants.

The author of the article THAT SIGguy229 pointed to is one of them. He is an IDIOT! He along with a lot of others, truly believe guns should be abolished.

They are convinced that by banning guns, magically all deaths by gun would cease. You & I know this to be false, but it is a religion to them & their faith would be hard to overcome.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Reading this article makes me want to go to Beverly Hills and slap this guy until he wakes up from whatever dream world he is living in. I can't stand it when a spineless wimp who WON'T EVEN DEFEND HIMSELF decides to foist his cowardice on the entire nation.

Surrender-Monkey:

So what happens when the hoodlum with the laser sight loses his gun? He's going to be approaching you in your alleyway and asking for your groceries or money or whatever, only this time he'll have a knife. And then, surrender-monkey, what will be your recommendation? Confiscate all knives and sharp objects? Start building homes with plexiglas windows instead of glass, so criminals can't make shivs out of broken glass? Where will this end?

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    My head just exploded.
    Same here.

He credits his rapid "response" (in handing over his valuables; surrendering) for not getting shot, then at the same time recognizes that his fate was utterly in the hands of the compassion of the same guy who had decided to rob him!

What was to stop the robber, indeed. Nothing YOU did, you coward!

And yet, he wants to bring the number of guns as close to zero as possible. So that even fewer and fewer people could have a chance to fight back. So that even more and more people would have to rely on the goodness of robbers. (?!?! )

Oh, and when these people talk about how safe we might be if we reduced the number of guns to near-zero, they forget a few things:

- we'd have to suspend the Constitution in order to collect the 250M guns out there already

- we'd see cops ambushed for their guns so that thugs could rearm (as if they would have been disarmed during the disarm phase in the first place)

- we'd see more and more homebuilt guns. It's not as though there's no one out there with the knowhow and the tools to manufacture guns in a home shop.

The insanity continues . . .

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OfClanMcnab View Post
    Reading this article makes me want to go to Beverly Hills and slap this guy until he wakes up from whatever dream world he is living in. I can't stand it when a spineless wimp who WON'T EVEN DEFEND HIMSELF decides to foist his cowardice on the entire nation.

So what happens when the hoodlum with the laser sight loses his gun? He's going to be approaching you in your alleyway and asking for your groceries or money or whatever, only this time he'll have a knife. And then, surrender-monkey, what will be your recommendation? Confiscate all knives and sharp objects? Start building homes with plexiglas windows instead of glass, so criminals can't make shivs out of broken glass? Where will this end?

Excellent post! +1!

People like him have a horrendously crippled ability to view and comprehend reality. They get to a certain point in their understanding, and then they become like a computer that has reached some sort of program error, and they freeze up; the logic that would occur to us at that point just stops dead with them.

Links