Tech Shooting forum in Richmond

This is a discussion on Tech Shooting forum in Richmond within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Richmond Times-Dispatch held an "open" forum on the Tech shooting last night. Here is the rundown from the paper. It's just more of the ...

Thread: Tech Shooting forum in Richmond

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar

Tech Shooting forum in Richmond

The Richmond Times-Dispatch held an "open" forum on the Tech shooting last night. Here is the rundown from the paper. It's just more of the same "sheep" mentality.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet...esdispatch.com

PUBLIC SQUARE: TECH MASSACRE
    Richmond-area residents try to draw lessons from shootings at Virginia Tech
    BY WILL JONES AND OLYMPIA MEOLA
    TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITERS
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007

VIDEO

Virginia Tech alumnus Bob Magee returned to his alma mater this week, reaching out in the midst of the tragedy wrenching the school he left in 1964.

The feelings that flooded him on the Drillfield were indescribable, he said. "Heavy is the only word I can come up with. It was the eeriest and saddest feeling I've ever had in my life."

Magee was among about 40 people who attended last night's Richmond Times-Dispatch Public Square, which attempted to draw lessons from the April 16 shooting rampage in Blacksburg, the deadliest in modern U.S. history.

In addition to killing 32 students and faculty members, student gunman Seung-Hui Cho injured 15 other students before taking his own life.

Last night's session started with a moment of silence in honor of the victims, followed by attendees sharing questions they would like answered about the shootings.

* How can we better educate the public about mental illness?

* What would other schools do in the same situation?

* How can we make a more cohesive connection between law enforcement and mental-health officials?

* Why are Virginia's gun-purchase laws more relaxed than federal laws, and why not limit the amount of ammunition people can buy?

"If we accept things as they are, this is the price we will pay periodically," said Chris Hartnett of Midlothian.

Several people questioned the role of gun safety in the overall debate. Two attendees suggested that the price of ammunition be increased or a limit be placed on the quantity someone could purchase. Al Moore of Mechanicsville stressed the people's right to bear arms.

June Hazlehurst of Richmond countered by asking what would have happened on campus that day if more students and professors had been armed?

"It just doesn't make sense to arm people," she said. "It doesn't make people any safer. It doesn't make me feel any safer."

Rick Curry, a Tech alumnus, said there must be an answer between no guns and everybody toting a gun. If you have a campus of 26,000 students, and everyone is armed, and a few gunshots are heard, he said, "you know what's going to happen? Thirty people's going to look minor."

Curry, who said he is among about 12,000 Tech alumni in the Richmond area, called the school community a family.

"I spent last week on such an emotional roller coaster," he said. "For us older alums . . . it's a very emotional attachment. Your family has been violated."

The tragedy struck people in many different ways, according to the sentiments expressed by the audience.

Sandra Brooks of Richmond said prayer needs to go back in the school system. "Silence is good, but the children need to know they are empowered," she said.

Hartnett said God was at Tech that day, manifested by the professors who had the courage to stand up to the shooter.

Christine Golding, a senior at Virginia Commonwealth University, said since the shooting she has wondered where she should sit in class. She said if she sits by the door, she could escape more quickly if there was a problem, but she could also be the first to be attacked if a gunman burst in.

"It's now hitting way too close to home for me," she said.

The idea of early help for students who may be troubled also generated discussion among members of the audience, including Anne Martz of Richmond.

"How do we identify these kinds of kids who are on the margin? How do we take these kids in so they might get better?" she asked.

Rick Tatnall, executive director of Citizens Against Crime, said the answer is not building a better campus security system, it's being engaged with the community early on.

"It's not sirens, it's preventative. We need to start paying attention and get involved," he said. "There are people dealing with this situation every day. There are children sleeping in the bathtub at night in order to keep safe."

The discussion, which was the 13th in the newspaper's Public Square series, coincided with students returning to class at Virginia Tech. Previous squares have covered property assessments and taxes, underage drinking, immigration, the Richmond Braves' ballpark, crime, charitable giving and the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Ms. Goldring has other things she should worry about, such as why Virginia Commonwealth University is the only college named in our concealed carry statutes where our self protection is not just against policy, but against the law.

Two attendees suggested that the price of ammunition be increased or a limit be placed on the quantity someone could purchase.
    The dumb keep getting dumber. How anyone one could see this as a solution has no clue. Even with a _____ number of rounds per month max you can buy. It would not have stopped this crazy immigrant from carring out his plan.

The real world just doesn't work this way, when the chips are down:

• Sleeping in a bathtub is safer? You can get raped or shot just as easily, when a home invader finds you stuck in the tub. More easily, in fact, as you've willingly placed yourself in a position where mobility has been removed from your options, at that critical time.
    • A better campus security system would help? On a 26000 acre open campus? Not workable.
    • Being more "engaged" with the students will help? Help stop a shooter whose gun is to the head of the first student in a line of ten students who aren't reacting to withstand the executions?
    • Everybody packing will result in a single shot in the distance turning into a bloodbath that makes the 32-dead VT massacre seem a pittance? Meaning, all those good, law-abiding folks packing in self-defense will magically become crazed killers themselves merely because they're packing, merely because more guns exist on-campus at the time? 20000 guns on the hips of each of 20000 students wouldn't have a greater chance of neutralizing one murderer? Each and every one of the 32 victims would have been armed, and that would have made zero difference??
    • Will someone better educated about mental illness be any better able to protect against a muzzle in the ear?
    • Will higher-priced ammunition keep a huge pile from a dedicated murderer? As if ~50 rounds represents an arsenal's worth of firepower, in a small-caliber weapon.

What works is: being able to evade the murderer, or being able to neutralize the murderer. And there's a very short list of specific tactics and capabilities that has much practical chance of success.

Not much else will. Other such things will merely be feel-good salves to help calm folks ahead of the murders; or will be associated with the police clean-up long after the crimes have been committed; or be negligible changes that won't in fact alter a person's fate when the crosshairs are trained on him/her.

I'm all for feeling safer. Who wouldn't? But, in reality, I'd prefer to actually be safer. Who wouldn't?
    Last edited by ccw9mm; April 24th, 2007 at 10:10 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I've never liked the RT-D, even when I was in high school at Midlothian.
    How about people learn to recognize distraught individuals instead of writing them off?
    I would have gone if I were in town at the moment.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

to cut down on DUIs....we need to limit how much gas can be bought at one time...one tank per vehicle...no high capacity tanks (20gal x 2)...oh, and there must be a 30 day waiting period between tanks....

What a bunch of idiocy. Where do I start?

* Why are Virginia's gun-purchase laws more relaxed than federal laws, and why not limit the amount of ammunition people can buy?
    50 rounds is just one box. How much do they want to limit it to? 1 round per day? And what's to keep one from just buying at multiple stores? Do we need a big, new database system to track ammunition purchases now? Are we going to ban handloading too?

"It just doesn't make sense to arm people," she said. "It doesn't make people any safer. It doesn't make me feel any safer."
    See, what's important is that people feel safe. I wonder if this woman would have felt safe in Norris Hall during the shooting. She'd just have to be reminded that it's actually quite safe, even with the killing going on, because there's only one gun in the building!

Rick Curry, a Tech alumnus, said there must be an answer between no guns and everybody toting a gun. If you have a campus of 26,000 students, and everyone is armed, and a few gunshots are heard, he said, "you know what's going to happen? Thirty people's going to look minor."
    That's right, because gun owners suddenly become homicidal maniacs at the sound of gunfire. :rolleyes2:
    What did this guy earn a degree in anyway? Critical thinking and logic obviously weren't part of his curriculum.

Sandra Brooks of Richmond said prayer needs to go back in the school system. "Silence is good, but the children need to know they are empowered," she said.
    Yeah, I'm sure that would have helped that nutcase. :rolleyes2:
    I'm sure those 32 students would have felt really "empowered" if they had prayed while they were being shot.

Links