H.R. 1022 Response,...

H.R. 1022 Response,...

This is a discussion on H.R. 1022 Response,... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recieved a response from my local Congressman today regarding H.R. 1022 and I thought I'd share it with y'all. ===================== April 24, 2007 Dear ...

H.R. 1022 Response,...

I recieved a response from my local Congressman today regarding H.R. 1022 and I thought I'd share it with y'all.
    =====================
    April 24, 2007

Dear Mr. P,:

Thank you for contacting me in regards to H.R. 1022, the
    Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of
    2007. As always, it is a pleasure to hear from you and I appreciate
    this opportunity to respond.

As you may be aware, H.R. 1022 was introduced by
    Representative Carolyn McCarthy of New York on February 13,
    2007, and was subsequently referred to the House Judiciary
    Committee. On March 19, 2007, it was referred to the
    Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security where
    it awaits further action.

I have always supported the Constitutional right to bear
    arms in a safe and legal manner. While I strongly feel we must
    take action to stop crime, I do not believe it is best done through
    increased gun restrictions on lawful gun owners. I do, however,
    support increased safety education, stiffer penalties for criminals
    and rigorous enforcement of the gun laws that are currently in
    effect. Please rest assured that I will continue to keep your views
    in mind as I continue to work with my colleagues in the 110th
    Congress.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please visit
    http://ortiz.house.gov to learn more about my views on other issues
    and legislation, and do not hesitate to contact me regarding any
    issue at the federal level. With kindest regards, I am

Sincerely,

Solomon P. Ortiz
    Member of Congress

Please feel free to visit my website for more information at http://www.house.gov/ortiz/

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Sounds good, but he didn't say "I won't vote for it" that would make me feel better.

At least he did write back to you. I guess I'll have to resend mine. The only thing I got back was a "Thanks for writing the President" card. Nothing from My local people. Now I'm mad.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

better than my response!!

Dear Mr. XYZ,

Thank you for contacting me to voice your opposition to H.R. 1022, the Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act. I appreciate having the opportunity to respond to your concerns on this very important issue.

I believe our citizens must be protected from the criminal use of weapons. I also recognize that the legitimate possession of firearms by law-abiding citizens should not be hampered by federal legislation. When addressing various gun control measures, I do my best to balance these two concerns.

As you may know, the Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act would reauthorize the assault weapons ban passed by Congress in 1994. There is no will in Congress to make further changes to firearms laws. The Congressional Research Service, the research arm of Congress, reported that,"assault rifles were originally developed to provide a lighter infantry weapon that could fire more rounds, more rapidly." In short, they were intended to kill more people, more quickly. I am one of several cosponsors of H.R. 1022 because it will keep military-style assault weapons out of our neighborhoods and ensure that law enforcement is not outgunned by criminals wielding weapons of war.

The prohibitions on assault weapons work. In 1989, when President George H. W. Bush stopped the import of certain assault rifles, the number of imported assault rifles traced to crime dropped by 45% in one year. After the 1994 ban was enacted, there were 18% fewer assault weapons traced to crime in the first eight months of 1995 than were traced in the same period in the previous year. Unfortunately, shortly after the 1994 ban, slight cosmetic modifications were made to the prohibited assault weapons to evade the law. Since these design changes were made, military-style assault weapons have reentered the civilian market. The MAC-10 has been replaced by the MPA-10 and the TEC-9 by the AB-10, for "after ban."

After the fall of Kabul in November 2001, a document found in a safe house entitled "How Can I Train Myself for Jihad?" advised readers of the ripe availability of assault weapons in the United States. Given the threats to our national security, we must ensure that military style weapons do not fall into the hands of would-be terrorists. The very firearms that the new Assault Weapons Ban would prohibit are those that make aiming and spraying large amounts of bullets simpler. I believe that this ban will make important steps in cutting down violent crime both domestically and internationally.

Although we differ in our positions, I hope that you will respect the integrity of my views, as I respect yours. I am sure there are other matters of concern to you on which we agree, and I hope you will feel free to contact me again about matters that are important to you.

Sincerely,

Louise Slaughter
    Member of Congress

After the fall of Kabul in November 2001, a document found in a safe house entitled "How Can I Train Myself for Jihad?" advised readers of the ripe availability of assault weapons in the United States. Given the threats to our national security, we must ensure that military style weapons do not fall into the hands of would-be terrorists.
    I say BS, when was the last time you hear one of these terrorists opening fire with a gun. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems these cowards prefer to blow themselves & other up.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Louise Slaughter
    Member of Congress
    Never trust a man with two names, Never go to a doctor named kavorkian, and never vote for a Congresswoman(?) named Slaughter
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

What a crock...

"The prohibitions on assault weapons work. In 1989, when President George H. W. Bush stopped the import of certain assault rifles, the number of imported assault rifles traced to crime dropped by 45% in one year. After the 1994 ban was enacted, there were 18% fewer assault weapons traced to crime in the first eight months of 1995 than were traced in the same period in the previous year."

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    What a crock...

"The prohibitions on assault weapons work. In 1989, when President George H. W. Bush stopped the import of certain assault rifles, the number of imported assault rifles traced to crime dropped by 45% in one year. After the 1994 ban was enacted, there were 18% fewer assault weapons traced to crime in the first eight months of 1995 than were traced in the same period in the previous year."

ret
    What she says may actually be true, but did it really reduce crime any?!? No! The crimes still happened - they just used other means. It's not the tool that's important; it's the intent to rape and murder and steal that causes crime. Works just as well with the candlestick in the library or the revolver in the hall as it does with the AK in the Kwickie Mart.
    Check out the Free State Project

How does the economy really work? Mises Institute

Laissez Faire Books offers an extensive collection of books on liberty, free markets, philosophy, economics, politics and history.

Links