South Carolina Leads the charge - Page 3

South Carolina Leads the charge

This is a discussion on South Carolina Leads the charge within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well the sad thing is that all of the University Police depts apposed it. And so it got rather heated. At some point all of ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: South Carolina Leads the charge

Well the sad thing is that all of the University Police depts apposed it. And so it got rather heated. At some point all of them claimed to have addressed the security issues brought out by Va Tech incident. In fact none of them have done anything but to give it lip service. Not one single man has been added nor has anyone formulated any plan that would make them more effective. Because they can't. However they can claim to and it has merit? And can claim theoretical scenarios where it would hider them? Now mind you hinder them is their operative thought. Not hinder the shooter. And its all about them... that their reasoning and logic. Not the Faculty Staff and Students.

And so far the bill is left without any of its intent intact. Now we have what was supposed to be the right of a CWP holder to carry changed into anyone that wants to (not just CWP holders) having it be ok to have his/her gun stashed under his/her seat. Where did that come from? What is the relationship to concealed carry on campus? It does at least remain that it allows people to have on in their car at a school or Campus. Thats where it is left. But its not anything for the CWP.

Bill now kicked back to committee so its not looking good this year. Only like two more days in session. Not looking good for ANY of our gun laws proposed this year unless something dramatic happens in the next two days. Budget bill stilll not passed. This one getting a little attention but no sound from the Reciprocity bill getting any attention in these very final hours. time is running out this year.

This one got kicked back into committee because it was claimed that the way it was written it would "allow a 9 year old to carry to school"...

Whatever... I guess there are no other laws that already made that illegal? Sheesh.

cphilip, GRGR received word from Rep. Mike Pitts that the Definitions section of the amendment that would have allowed VT-style carry was accidentally omitted by the staff attorneys, and no one caught that until afer the vote for cloture was taken. Without the Definitions, it would have been problematic and would most likely have died a swift death. So, rather than have the bill killed, he got it recommitted to the committee.

I would personally rather have seen the bill passed unamended and have the permit requirements in SC law removed in a separate bill, but I'm not one of the ones that makes the laws.

Quote Originally Posted by SCGuy View Post
    cphilip, GRGR received word from Rep. Mike Pitts that the Definitions section of the amendment that would have allowed VT-style carry was accidentally omitted by the staff attorneys, and no one caught that until afer the vote for cloture was taken. Without the Definitions, it would have been problematic and would most likely have died a swift death. So, rather than have the bill killed, he got it recommitted to the committee.

I would personally rather have seen the bill passed unamended and have the permit requirements in SC law removed in a separate bill, but I'm not one of the ones that makes the laws.
    I hear yea SC. I believe your right about that. I think we would be better off with separate bills too. Thanks for the detail. Well... its not like they seem to have any time for it now that they still stalled on the budget. Funny thing is I was very hopeful as a couple weeks back they seemed be on taget and all of one mind on the budget ( I should have known better) Best we can hope for now is something after the January session starts up. Perhaps its all of the best, but I was sorely hoping we could get at least ONE of these bills in the last moment this year. I think today is it for session? I forget. The last day of session that is. I believe they can be called back but only for the budget. IIRC.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links