Utah gets it! Next?

Utah gets it! Next?

This is a discussion on Utah gets it! Next? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://enews.earthlink.net/article/n...0427-856700905...

Thread: Utah gets it! Next?

Way to go
    When outnumbered 2 to 1.
    Shoot twice!
    Gopher

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Welcome.

Now if the rest of the states would quit hand wringing
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger View Post
    Now if the rest of the states would quit hand wringing
    I don't mind hand wringing. But I do mind someone wringing my hands for me, at my expense.

Utah's got it right.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It is so clear. Utah definitely has it right. I hope this is contagious.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

...and I hope Florida is next!

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    This comment gives the lie to those who talk about guns making campuses more dangerous.

The carrying of guns at the university worries students like Timmy Allin, a freshman on the tennis team from Dallas who feels safe on the 28,000-student urban campus. Allin was not aware weapons were allowed on campus until told by a reporter.

"I don't see the need for one up here, so that could only lead to trouble," he said
    Don't you just love it when these people open their mouths and let stupidity fall out? Think rationally and logically about the above. Here is a student (a freshman admittedly, but he has been there for almost nine months) who until the reporter tells him that weapons are allowed on campus didn't know they were. Obviously there has been no problems with them or he would have at least known they were there. And what is the first thing out of his mouth after he hears? "I don't see the need for one up here, so that could only lead to trouble." This statement is stupid on so many levels that it almost defies reason. 1) He doesn't see it need. Just because he doesn't see it does not mean the need is not there. 2) The second half of the statement does not in any way logically follow the first half. He sees no need, so having them could only lead to trouble. This is about as egotistical a statement that can be made. He sees no need, therefore there is not one - end of story no need to discuss any further. 3) Having weapons on campus "could ONLY lead to trouble." To make an indefensible absolute statement like that is beyond stupid especially since it has already been shown to be false. Students have been carrying on campus since 2006 and no trouble has resulted. Obviously it can lead to things other than trouble, ergo his statement is just a bunch of sheep dung.

Congrats to Utah for getting it right. Alabama's laws do not ban weapons from any educational institution except K-12 and even then it is written in such a way that you can carry anyway. The law states:
    no person shall knowingly with intent to do bodily harm carry or possess a deadly weapon on the premises of a public school.
    If a person goes on a public school (defined in the law as K-12) campus with a weapon, but does not inted to do bodily harm he is not in violation. That is hair splitting, but I believe you could make a good case that way. I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on television so this is my opinion and is not legal advise.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Good link and welcome from Eastern Idaho Texaseyes.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Thats very good....here in IA they wont even arm the CAMPUS POLICE...who BTW DO go to the LE Academy and are all sworn officers!!!!! Dumb Asses......

Hopefully next on the list will be SC. We had some representatives introduce a bill that would do away with the school campus restriction.

The carrying of guns at the university worries students like Timmy Allin, a freshman on the tennis team from Dallas who feels safe on the 28,000-student urban campus. Allin was not aware weapons were allowed on campus until told by a reporter.

"I don't see the need for one up here, so that could only lead to trouble," he said
    I agree. Failure to see the need could very well lead to trouble. Myopia does have that problem.

At some point, I fear it will lead to trouble. Sadly, it's entirely likely to be in a dire and very personal fashion, for this young man. Life can be brutal to those with their heads in the sand.

I wonder if this guy was aware that schools with published victim disarmament zones represent a disproportionate percentage of the mass murder events at schools. If informed of the facts, I wonder if this budding adult would see things for how they are, not for how he'd like them to be. Hm.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links