Defensive Carry banner

Prozac et al.

1K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  falcon1 
#1 ·
Seems to me that since Prozac and the other, similar drugs have been handed out like candy we have had a huge rise in teen suicides, school shootings, and other murders. I would not be surprised to find that the VT murderer was on one of them.

In spite of all the kids on these drugs that have done horrible things, no one seems excited about examining the relationship between these powerful drugs and kids going over the edge.

How do we wake people up to this danger?

#2 ·
Cho was on an SSRI medication.

It works for some people, others it makes worse. The danger is that the negative effects on mood are hard for the patient to convey as they are in a (medicated) state of despair and apathy, probably not wanting help.
It's the worst kind of Catch-22.

#4 ·
I think the plaintiffs bar and the drug companies have battled this on numerous drugs for many years with mixed results. The Pharma Co's take these matters real seriously as do the plaintiffs bar.

Several years ago Upjohn actually had drug trial data which a defense attorney tried to submit into evidence to "prove" the BG was actually insane at the moment he/she pulled the trigger.

Old stuff, just lots of new drugs.

#5 ·
Too many darned drugs and too many people who take em - makes the pharm Co's rich tho. As HotGuns mentions - sometimes coming off these things is the worst time for tricky behavior.

I'll add too - I consider drug mixing potentially very problematic - in as much as - there could be ''binary'' effects. Take drug ''a'' - OK - take drug ''b'' - OK .. combine the two and bingo - trouble!

Then we have ''iatrogenic'' disease .......... disease induced by pharmaceuticals - IMO very real and sometimes easily proven when folks come off most of their cocktail - and get better!!!

I honestly think - maybe as many as 9 outa every 10 folks could still survive without some of the med's ... but for sure there are those who really do benefit.

#8 ·
Uh. "Someone" I know was on an SSRI for about a year, prescribed by his MD, and after he went off, he realized that it had completely altered his outlook on things during the year he was on it, as if he were a zombie... in fact, he could barely remember anything... even major events...from the time he was on it.

#9 ·
I'll play devils advocate here. Some drugs can and do work wonders if the parents are using them correctly and for the right reasons.

#10 ·
I may make the younger ones mad, but the older of us may understand where I'm coming from....
You wouldn't need all those "kids drugs" if the parents would jerk the computers, computer games, and TV away from them, kick their butts out the door, and make them play outside like kids are supposed to.....baseball, bicycles, bunged-up knees, maybe even a fight now and then, and lots of dirt. Kids stopped being kids when the TV took over, and parents stopped being parents. Rant over.

#12 ·
Lol - not me...only 27 but even when I was a kid the TV and video games didn't have such a hold on society...then agian that could be becuase all the video games didn't exist...Not that they're bad...they have their place. I grew up climbing tree's, playing backyard football, bmx biking, rock climbing, etc...! Kids now? WTH is society turning into? Problem is people seem to have allowed them to take over their lives. Funny you should mention this one today...I actually heard a story from a coworker today. She said her friends children have one of those new Wii game systems but don't like to play it...get this one now ...because to play the wii...they have to get up off the couch! :rant: :aargh4:

#14 ·
I agree with Geezer

kids need parents!Not adults who try to act like their buddies!:nono:

#15 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.