Prozac et al.

Prozac et al.

This is a discussion on Prozac et al. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Seems to me that since Prozac and the other, similar drugs have been handed out like candy we have had a huge rise in teen ...

Thread: Prozac et al.

Angry Prozac et al.

Seems to me that since Prozac and the other, similar drugs have been handed out like candy we have had a huge rise in teen suicides, school shootings, and other murders. I would not be surprised to find that the VT murderer was on one of them.

In spite of all the kids on these drugs that have done horrible things, no one seems excited about examining the relationship between these powerful drugs and kids going over the edge.

How do we wake people up to this danger?
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Cho was on an SSRI medication.

It works for some people, others it makes worse. The danger is that the negative effects on mood are hard for the patient to convey as they are in a (medicated) state of despair and apathy, probably not wanting help.
    It's the worst kind of Catch-22.

Senior Moderator
    Actually, it appears that the people seem to go beserk when they try to get off of it rather than when they are on it.

How do we wake people up to this danger?

You dont. You can only wake up people that want to be awake.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I think the plaintiffs bar and the drug companies have battled this on numerous drugs for many years with mixed results. The Pharma Co's take these matters real seriously as do the plaintiffs bar.

Several years ago Upjohn actually had drug trial data which a defense attorney tried to submit into evidence to "prove" the BG was actually insane at the moment he/she pulled the trigger.

Old stuff, just lots of new drugs.

Assistant Administrator
    Too many darned drugs and too many people who take em - makes the pharm Co's rich tho. As HotGuns mentions - sometimes coming off these things is the worst time for tricky behavior.

I'll add too - I consider drug mixing potentially very problematic - in as much as - there could be ''binary'' effects. Take drug ''a'' - OK - take drug ''b'' - OK .. combine the two and bingo - trouble!

Then we have ''iatrogenic'' disease .......... disease induced by pharmaceuticals - IMO very real and sometimes easily proven when folks come off most of their cocktail - and get better!!!

I honestly think - maybe as many as 9 outa every 10 folks could still survive without some of the med's ... but for sure there are those who really do benefit.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    It's not such a great idea to put kids on mind altering medications. Too many selfish parents wanting little perfect robotic automatons instead of normal kids.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    It's not such a great idea to put kids on mind altering medications. Too many selfish parents wanting little perfect robotic automatons instead of normal kids.

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    Uh. "Someone" I know was on an SSRI for about a year, prescribed by his MD, and after he went off, he realized that it had completely altered his outlook on things during the year he was on it, as if he were a zombie... in fact, he could barely remember anything... even major events...from the time he was on it.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

I'll play devils advocate here. Some drugs can and do work wonders if the parents are using them correctly and for the right reasons.

I may make the younger ones mad, but the older of us may understand where I'm coming from....
    You wouldn't need all those "kids drugs" if the parents would jerk the computers, computer games, and TV away from them, kick their butts out the door, and make them play outside like kids are supposed to.....baseball, bicycles, bunged-up knees, maybe even a fight now and then, and lots of dirt. Kids stopped being kids when the TV took over, and parents stopped being parents. Rant over.

I've seen kids that are good as gold turn into demons from hell about five minutes after being given a large coke and a bag of crap.

Diets were better back when nobody was on Zoloft, funny that...

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I may make the younger ones mad, but the older of us may understand where I'm coming from....
    You wouldn't need all those "kids drugs" if the parents would jerk the computers, computer games, and TV away from them, kick their butts out the door, and make them play outside like kids are supposed to.....baseball, bicycles, bunged-up knees, maybe even a fight now and then, and lots of dirt. Kids stopped being kids when the TV took over, and parents stopped being parents. Rant over.
    Lol - not me...only 27 but even when I was a kid the TV and video games didn't have such a hold on society...then agian that could be becuase all the video games didn't exist...Not that they're bad...they have their place. I grew up climbing tree's, playing backyard football, bmx biking, rock climbing, etc...! Kids now? WTH is society turning into? Problem is people seem to have allowed them to take over their lives. Funny you should mention this one today...I actually heard a story from a coworker today. She said her friends children have one of those new Wii game systems but don't like to play it...get this one now ...because to play the wii...they have to get up off the couch!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

New FDA Warnings

FDA has expanded the warnings on these drugs. They acknowledge that they may cause suicide, but don't seem to recognize that homicide is also a BIG danger with these drugs.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18436346/
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

I agree with Geezer

kids need parents!Not adults who try to act like their buddies!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    kids need parents!Not adults who try to act like their buddies!
    +1000 to both of you!

Links