A journalist turned by logic

A journalist turned by logic

This is a discussion on A journalist turned by logic within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; An article in the Spokesman Review newspaper. His point near the end, "Tragically, they weren't safe. Virginia Tech's "gun-free zone" was not gun-free." is well ...

Thread: A journalist turned by logic

VIP Member

Thumbs up A journalist turned by logic

An article in the Spokesman Review newspaper. His point near the end, "Tragically, they weren't safe. Virginia Tech's "gun-free zone" was not gun-free." is well said. He makes a few more statements in the article that are painfully obvious to us, but hard for an anti to digest: "Ordinary law-abiding people, it turns out, are pretty trustworthy." "Experience has shown that these people aren't threats." and "...students, professors and visitors would now "feel safe" on campus. Tragically, they weren't safe." are among them. I found it to be a good read. His closing argument is profound.

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/opini...=187211&page=1

'Gun-free zone' a false security

Michael Barone
    Creators Syndicate
    April 30, 2007

The murders two weeks ago at Virginia Tech naturally set off a cry in the usual quarters – the New York Times, the London-based Economist – for stricter gun-control laws. Democratic officeholders didn't chime in, primarily because they believe they were hurt by the issue in 2000 and 2004, but most privately agree.

What most discussions of this issue tend to ignore is that we have two tracks of political debate and two sets of laws on gun control. At the federal level, there has been a push for more gun control laws since John Kennedy was assassinated in 1963, and some modest restrictions have been passed. At the state level, something entirely different has taken place.

In 1987, Florida passed a law allowing citizens who could demonstrate that they were law-abiding and had sufficient training to obtain permits on demand to own and carry concealed weapons. In the succeeding 20 years, many other states have passed such laws, so that today you can, if you meet the qualifications, carry concealed weapons in 40 states with 67 percent of the nation's population (including Vermont, with no gun restrictions at all).

When Florida passed its concealed-weapons law, I thought it was a terrible idea. People would start shooting each other over traffic altercations; parking lots would turn into shooting galleries. Not so, it turned out. Only a very, very few concealed-weapons permits have been revoked. There are only rare incidents in which people with concealed-weapons permits have used them unlawfully. Ordinary law-abiding people, it turns out, are pretty trustworthy.

I'm not the only one to draw such a conclusion. When she was Michigan's attorney general, Democrat Jennifer Granholm opposed the state's concealed-weapons law, which took effect in 2001. But now, as governor, she's not seeking its repeal. She says that her fears – like those I had about Florida's law 20 years ago – proved to be unfounded.

So far as I know, there are no politically serious moves to repeal any state's concealed-weapons laws. In most of the United States, as you go to work, shop at the mall, go to restaurants and walk around your neighborhood, you do so knowing that some of the people you pass may be carrying guns. You may not even think about it. But that's all right. Experience has shown that these people aren't threats.

Virginia has a concealed-weapons law. But Virginia Tech was, by the decree of its administrators, a "gun-free zone." Those with concealed-weapons permits were not allowed to take their guns on campus and were disciplined when they did. A bill was introduced in the state House of Delegates to allow permit-holders to carry guns on campus. When it was sidetracked, a Virginia Tech administrator hailed the action and said that students, professors and visitors would now "feel safe" on campus.

Tragically, they weren't safe. Virginia Tech's "gun-free zone" was not gun-free. In contrast, killers on other campuses were stopped by faculty or bystanders who had concealed-weapons permits and brandished their guns to stop the killing.

We may hear more about gun control at the national level. The D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals recently ruled that the District of Columbia's ban on handguns violates the Second Amendment's right "to keep and bear arms."

Judge Laurence Silberman's strong opinion argues that this is consistent with the Supreme Court's ruling in a 1939 case upholding a federal law banning sawed-off shotguns. Limited regulation is allowed, Silberman wrote, but not a total ban. Somewhere on the road between a law banning possession of nuclear weapons and banning all guns, the Second Amendment stands in the way. This is the view as well of the liberal constitutional law scholar Laurence Tribe. The Supreme Court may take the case, which is in conflict with other circuits' rulings.

If it upholds the D.C. decision, there is still room for reasonable gun regulation. The mental health ruling on the Virginia Tech killer surely should have been entered into the instant check database to prevent him from buying guns. The National Rifle Association is working with gun control advocate Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, D-N.Y., to improve that database.

But even as we fine-tune laws to make sure guns don't get into the wrong hands, maybe the opinion elites will realize that in places where gun ownership is widespread, we're safer than in a "gun-free zone."
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

great article!! logic...imagine that!

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    Amen. I love it when people see the light!
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Assistant Administrator
    Logic is so much more palatable - than gut emotion rhetoric.

Pity still so many that cannot apply it.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Excellent.

Sensibility and analysis of facts without bias results in what Mr. Barone has come to discover and conclude.

So called Gun Free Zones toward law abiding licensed civilians FTL.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

It looks like more people are starting to realize that the gun isn't the cause of the problem. Michael Barone wrote a great article.

Wow. A newsperson with common sense....What is this world coming to...
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

VIP Member
    Good to see!

Excellent article. Very refreshing to see. :)
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

[SLAP][/SLAP] Ouch! I thought I was dreaming I was reading this.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I thought I recognized the name. It is almost strange to read that he went to both Harvard and Yale and still came out on the conservative side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Barone_(pundit)

Must be a 'new' reporter, perhaps this article slipped by the 'experienced' editor...

Sure hope this thinking catches on...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Must be a 'new' reporter....
    Nope, he's been around quite a while. He's the author of The Almanac of American Politics and a senior contributor for U.S. News and World Report and Fox News. I think the overwhelming logic of the failure of "gun-free zones" is finally hitting home with a whole lot of folks across the entire political spectrum...at least let's hope so!

One word...

Excellent.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

VIP Member
    Barone's pretty sharp on a lot of issues. He is known for his knowledge about elections. He's usually dead on accurate with his predictions on election outcomes.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Sponsored Links