HR 1022 has 41 co-sponsors now

This is a discussion on HR 1022 has 41 co-sponsors now within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here's the list current (as far as I know) as of 18 July Rep Abercrombie, Neil [HI-1] - 4/16/2007 Rep Ackerman, Gary L. [NY-5] - ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HR 1022 has 41 co-sponsors now

Here's the list current (as far as I know) as of 18 July
    Rep Abercrombie, Neil [HI-1] - 4/16/2007
    Rep Ackerman, Gary L. [NY-5] - 3/7/2007

Rep Berman, Howard L. [CA-28] - 3/13/2007
    Rep Blumenauer, Earl [OR-3] - 5/8/2007

Rep Capps, Lois [CA-23] - 3/9/2007
    Rep Clarke, Yvette D. [NY-11] - 7/12/2007

Rep Clay, Wm. Lacy [MO-1] - 3/9/2007
    Rep Crowley, Joseph [NY-7] - 3/7/2007

Rep DeGette, Diana [CO-1] - 3/13/2007
    Rep Delahunt, William D. [MA-10] - 3/13/2007

Rep Emanuel, Rahm [IL-5] - 4/26/2007
    Rep Eshoo, Anna G. [CA-14] - 3/9/2007

Rep Farr, Sam [CA-17] - 4/16/2007
    Rep Fattah, Chaka [PA-2] - 3/7/2007

Rep Filner, Bob [CA-51] - 3/7/2007
    Rep Frank, Barney [MA-4] - 3/7/2007

Rep Grijalva, Raul M. [AZ-7] - 3/9/2007
    Rep Harman, Jane [CA-36] - 4/19/2007

Rep Hirono, Mazie K. [HI-2] - 3/13/2007
    Rep Holt, Rush D. [NJ-12] - 4/19/2007

Rep Jackson-Lee, Sheila [TX-18] - 3/7/2007
    Rep Kennedy, Patrick J. [RI-1] - 3/22/2007

Rep Langevin, James R. [RI-2] - 5/3/2007
    Rep Lofgren, Zoe [CA-16] - 3/15/2007

Rep Lowey, Nita M. [NY-18] - 3/15/2007
    Rep Maloney, Carolyn B. [NY-14] - 3/7/2007

Rep Markey, Edward J. [MA-7] - 3/13/2007
    Rep McGovern, James P. [MA-3] - 3/13/2007

Rep Meehan, Martin T. [MA-5] - 3/7/2007
    Rep Miller, Brad [NC-13] - 3/9/2007

Rep Moran, James P. [VA-8] - 3/7/2007
    Rep Nadler, Jerrold [NY-8] - 5/8/2007

Rep Norton, Eleanor Holmes [DC] - 5/8/2007
    Rep Olver, John W. [MA-1] - 5/3/2007

Rep Pascrell, Bill, Jr. [NJ-8] - 3/13/2007
    Rep Pastor, Ed [AZ-4] - 3/22/2007

Rep Rothman, Steven R. [NJ-9] - 6/6/2007
    Rep Schakowsky, Janice D. [IL-9] - 3/7/2007

Rep Schiff, Adam B. [CA-29] - 3/7/2007
    Rep Sherman, Brad [CA-27] - 3/15/2007

Rep Sires, Albio [NJ-13] - 6/6/2007
    Rep Slaughter, Louise McIntosh [NY-28] - 3/13/2007
    Rep Tauscher, Ellen O. [CA-10] - 3/15/2007
    Rep Van Hollen, Chris [MD-8] - 3/7/2007

Rep Wasserman Schultz, Debbie [FL-20] - 3/22/2007
    Rep Watson, Diane E. [CA-33] - 4/26/2007

Rep Watt, Melvin L. [NC-12] - 5/8/2007
    Rep Waxman, Henry A. [CA-30] - 4/16/2007

Rep Wexler, Robert [FL-19] - 3/9/2007
    Rep Woolsey, Lynn C. [CA-6] - 4/26/2007
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    This is a reminder why our bicameral system is so good...otherwise we could suffer under the tyranny of the majority (or, in this case, the Big states like CA, NY, and IL) in the legislative branch. It's interesting to note - though not really surprising - that these states (and HI, NJ, and MA) are so well represented on this HR.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Sickening.

Robert Wexler is the jerkoff from just south of me here in Florida. He's a mealy-mouthed loser the likes of Schumer. If anyone was gonna get on board with this thing, it was him.

My rep here is Ron Klein (the democrat LOBBYIST SCUMBAG that the democrat voters of florida somehow forgot to hate). I'll be watching for his name, and calling his office this week.
    Your assesment of Wexler is very accurate. He is definately Schumeresque.

IIRC He gets voted in by the same bunch of northern-transplant idiots that couldn't figure out how to punch or count their ballots in 2000.

For those who don't know, McCarthy ran for office specifically on a gun control platform. She sees gun control laws as her lifes work/calling. Her son and I think her hubby were unarmed in NY when they got shot by the idiot who did the subway shooting. After that she ran for office.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    I have 4 from my state...sorry guys...we try
    I wrote my Rep and she basically gave me the finger and spouted lies...then closed with "I respect your opinion"...but then she's a co-sponsor who accepts money from the Brady Bunch every campaign
    Here's the letter:
    Did you point out to her that the majority f the weapons she described are already covered by the NFA? That the AWB has very little to do with automatic weapons and rather focuses on hunting and sporting weapons?
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Quote Originally Posted by Protect View Post
    Did you point out to her that the majority f the weapons she described are already covered by the NFA? That the AWB has very little to do with automatic weapons and rather focuses on hunting and sporting weapons?
    Yeah...I used a very logical letter...but that logic seems to go in one ear and out the other with the people on this bill

"Just keeping you guys up to date. Looks like there are now 41 co-sponsors. Fortunately, none from my state "

Yep, it is the usual suspects.

Two reps from FL...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Our reps in Congress forget they are supposed to push their constituents' views - not their party's wishes! It would be so nice to clean HOUSE (and SENATE) every eight to twelve years (2 term limit) and get people in there who understand their responsibilities to the voters. That would go a long way toward eliminating this kind of chicanery.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Ok people, anyone in the states mentioned?

Write to your Rep.
    Yep, on it.

-B

BAC
    Here's my piece to my representative. I'm hopeful, since she read my last response and replied in a positive way.

Just need to wait for their server to come back up now.

Dear Mrs. Ginny Brown-Waite,

It has come to my attention that HR 1022 (an attempt to renew a stronger "assault weapon ban") has again surfaced and already two representatives from Florida have signed on (Rep Robert Wexler and Rep Debbie Wasserman Schultz).

I urge you, with all due respect, and more for having responded to a message I have sent in the recent past, NOT to sign on for this resolution and to fight it whenever possible.

The restrictions on true "assault" weapons (select-fire, full-automatic capable weapons) is already in place. The National Firearms Act (NFA) / Class III of 1934 makes it illegal to possess a weapon capable of full-automatic fire and requires for each such weapon a $200 tax stamp to be added per weapon, per owner. Most such automatic-capable firearms are already thousands of dollars (no exaggeration, either). Even common handguns and pistols our own police use are considered "assault weapons".

The targets of HR 1022 are semi-automatic weapons and look-a-likes of military weapons. I wish to provide two strong viewpoints on the dangers of this proposed resolution.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) The previous assault-weapons ban did little to nothing to combat crime.

"We cannot clearly credit the ban with any of the nation's recent drop in gun violence." ("An Updated Assessment of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban: Impacts on Gun Markets and Gun Violence, 1994-2003", National Institute of Justice, June 2004).

"The ban has failed to reduce the average number of victims per gun murder incident or multiple gunshot wound victims." ("Impacts of the 1994 Assault Weapon Ban: 1994-96.", National Institute of Justice, March 1999)

"The public safety benefits of the 1994 ban have not yet been demonstrated." (also in "Impacts of the 1994 Assault Weapon Ban: 1994-96.", National Institute of Justice, March 1999)

"Assault weapons" are rarely used in crimes. (To pick on California for a moment) In LA, 1998, of 538 documented gun incidents, only one involved an "assault weapon" (.2%). In San Francisco, 1998, only 2.2% of confiscated weapons were "assault weapons". San Diego, 1988-1990, only .3% of confiscated weapons were "assault weapons" (All: S.C. Helsley, Assistant Director DOJ Investigation and Enforcement Branch, California October 31, 1988). Nationally, between 1980 and 1994 only 2% of confiscated guns were "assault weapons" (Gary Kleck, "Targeting Guns," 1997, compilation of 48 metropolitan police departments from 1980-1994). Just under 2% of criminals that commit violent crimes used "assault weapons" (Gary Kleck, "Targeting Guns," 1997, calculated from Bureau of Justice Statistics, assault weapon recovery rates). Only 8% of criminals used anything that is classified (even incorrectly) as an "assault weapon", though less than 1% claimed to use these weapons when committing crimes (Bureau of Justice Statistics, "Firearm Use by Offenders", November 2001).

CONCLUSION: "Assault weapons" are rarely used in crime, and the initial ban had virtually no impact on gun crime rates.

2) The purpose of the Second Amendment is not to protect the rights of hunting weapons, or of target or sporting weapons. It is to protect the people's rights to own and carry firearms for the security (safety) of their state. Strictly speaking, military-style weapons are exactly what is protected by the Second Amendment. However, since that is not followed to the letter, and military-style weapons are not distributed as easily as in, say, Switzerland (whose gun culture the Founders attempted to emulate), we as a country must make due with non-issued weapons of often less-than-equal ability.

For those who believe nobody "needs such a weapon", keep in mind the media footage during the Rodney King incident of Korean shop owners who sat atop their roofs during the riots using "assault weapons" to defend their businesses. These were the individuals who were not dragged into the streets and beaten, and did not have their shops burned down. According to Josh Sugarmann, executive director of the Violence Policy Center, Washington Post, 1993, "You can't get around the image of people shooting at people to protect their stores and it working. This is damaging to the [gun control] movement."

CONCLUSION: It is our RIGHT to own weapons of similar ability to the military, and it is our RIGHT to use them to defend ourselves, our families, our livelihoods, and the "security of a free State". This RIGHT is not one held only by gun owners, but by all American citizens.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I apologize for the extensive read, but I feel very strongly that such a house resolution would seriously infringe on gun-owning rights of Americans, as per the Bill of Rights, and would simultaneously do nothing to prevent or lower crime, as stated by studies of the first Assault Weapon Ban.

Thank you for your time, and I hope you do not make the same mistakes two other Florida Representatives did in wishing to limit the rights of Americans.

Sincerely,

Brian Casey
    I rather enjoyed writing this, but I feel something's missing...

-B

I note one dufus from Fl, who appears to be clueless as to what she is supporting. Nelson taking $ from Brady people, no surprise there either.

Rep DeGette, Diana [CO-1] - 3/13/2007

I feel almost ashamed I moved into this womens district...

BAC, mind if I plagiarize your letter to send to her?
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

BAC
    Sure! Bear in mind she is a Second Amendment supporter, though.

-B

Thanks, I will change it around a bit to address my audience.

Thanks again!
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Sure! Bear in mind she is a Second Amendment supporter, though.

-B
    How can she be a 2A supporter AND a co-sponsor of this garbage?

Also, on point 1 of your (very good and well presented) letter - I would remove the "little to" qualifier from that line. The bill did NOTHING to reduce gun crime, period.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links