HR 1022 has 41 co-sponsors now

This is a discussion on HR 1022 has 41 co-sponsors now within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by OPFOR How can she be a 2A supporter AND a co-sponsor of this garbage? This statement caught me off guard as well, ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 46

Thread: HR 1022 has 41 co-sponsors now

  1. #31
    Member Array ShadeAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    How can she be a 2A supporter AND a co-sponsor of this garbage?
    This statement caught me off guard as well, I just spent 10 minutes googling her and the 2nd Amendment and nothing good came up. She is rabidly anti-gun as far as I can tell.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #32
    VIP Member
    Array Team American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    3,826
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    How can she be a 2A supporter AND a co-sponsor of this garbage?
    I think he's referring to Ms. Brown-Waite...nobody would confuse Diana DeGette with a 2nd Amendment supporter...

    Sadly, she is my Rep also...after the last Congressional redistricting change, I went from 6th Dist to 1st Dist (Tom Tancredo to Diana DeGette...).
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

    "They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

  4. #33
    Member Array ShadeAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    384
    Ahh... I get it now, thanks :)
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

  5. #34
    Member Array FknRa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Folsom, Ca
    Posts
    391
    lucky 13 from my home state of Kalifornia. And I do write my legislature to let them know I'm not happy with them screwing me over BOHICA!!!!
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

    As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

  6. #35
    BAC
    BAC is offline
    VIP Member Array BAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    2,292
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    How can she be a 2A supporter AND a co-sponsor of this garbage?

    Also, on point 1 of your (very good and well presented) letter - I would remove the "little to" qualifier from that line. The bill did NOTHING to reduce gun crime, period.
    True that second part, I'll edit that out.

    As for the first, Rep Ginny Brown-Waite has always been pro-2A. She was a part of those who pushed for civil liability immunity for gun and ammo manufacturers (S. 397, the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act).

    The representative I've contacted is not one of the names you will find on that list of co-sponsors for HR 1022. She is someone, though, who will have the ability to put her voice against it, and I'm giving her as much ammo as I can for when she does.

    ETA: Aaaah, I think I see the confusion. I didn't notice that you were in Colorado, I was talking about Florida.


    -B

  7. #36
    VIP Member
    Array OPFOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Nomad
    Posts
    4,711
    Thanks for the clarification, BAC...I was a might bit confused there...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

  8. #37
    VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    south Florida
    Posts
    3,168
    The Congressional Research Service, the research arm of Congress, reported that,"assault rifles were originally developed to provide a lighter infantry weapon that could fire more rounds, more rapidly." In short, they were intended to kill more people, more quickly.
    If that's the case, then I fear that the people are in dire danger from their own police forces, who have these weapons and more (they have FULL AUTO!!). I mean, surely we don't want the police having the ability to "kill more people, more quickly," because those people would be "The People"!! Please, Ms. Slaughter, pass legislation right away that would ban the police from having these very same killing machines -- unless you disagree and feel that it is the job of the police to be executioners.


    I am one of several cosponsors of H.R. 1022 because it will keep military-style assault weapons out of our neighborhoods and ensure that law enforcement is not outgunned by criminals wielding weapons of war.
    Um, the weapons are already IN the neighborhoods. Do you plan to also suspend the 4th Amendment and enable police to just rove through homes at will to seize these weapons?

    After the fall of Kabul in November 2001, a document found in a safe house entitled "How Can I Train Myself for Jihad?" advised readers of the ripe availability of assault weapons in the United States.
    When these terrorists can get abundant ammunition and AK-47s from arms bazaars in the middle east, why on earth would they come here where they cannot even get full-auto weapons, and where they will pay far more for whatever they do get?


    The very firearms that the new Assault Weapons Ban would prohibit are those that make aiming and spraying large amounts of bullets simpler.
    Because you either deliberately or ignorantly equate them with full-auto weapons. But whether you really mean our semi-autos or not, you cannot demonstrate where these weapons are used in a large number of crimes and killings; and you cannot demonstrate that your pathetic "ban" attempts actually keep criminals from getting firearms for crime. Your disingenuous attempt at citing statistics ignores the fact that even before the 1994 ban, "assault weapons" were used in a vanishingly small percentage of gun crimes in the first place. And since they never did go away (as you yourself point out when you metion "after ban" guns), how can you claim that the assault ban worked? Evidently, since you admit that the guns all came back with cosmetic modifications and identical actions, you cannot credit the ban for the drop in assault weapon crime that you cite. You lying, sick, diseased

  9. #38
    VIP Member
    Array OPFOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Nomad
    Posts
    4,711
    Well put, PJ. If only logic worked....
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

  10. #39
    BAC
    BAC is offline
    VIP Member Array BAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    2,292
    Ima have to transition to faxes, phone calls, and snail mail (read: all three). The "Write Your Representative" option of the US House of Rep's website (allows you to email a message to your Rep) simply isn't working for me. Gets as far as the message, hit submit message, error screen, screeches of annoyance and poop throwing ensues...


    -B

  11. #40
    Member Array Windwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Mass.
    Posts
    21

    Five from MA...

    Man, do I have a headache... and my stomach doesn't feel too well, either.

  12. #41
    BAC
    BAC is offline
    VIP Member Array BAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    2,292
    Apparently it DID go through... the website is just bonkers. (Who knew, the poo-throwing mighta worked!)

    The reply?

    Quote Originally Posted by Representative Ginny Brown-Waite
    Dear Brian:

    Thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention. I appreciate the time you took to contact my office on this important issue and welcome the opportunity to respond.

    As a result of Public Law 103-322, the semi-automatic weapons ban that had been in effect since 1994 expired in September of 2004. Like you, I was pleased to see this unconstitutional ban end, restoring rights to gun owners across the country.

    Unfortunately, Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney (D-NY) is the latest Member of Congress to take up the misguided effort of reauthorizing the assault weapons ban with her bill, H.R. 1022, the Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007 . This bill would reinstate the 1994 ban for a period of 10 years, restoring all criminal penalties of manufacturing, transporting, or importing any firearm fitting the definition of an assault weapon. However, gun control is not the answer. New York City and Washington , D.C. are prime examples of the failure of radical gun control policies. While these two cities have the two most restrictive gun control laws in the country, they are both known for their violent criminal activity. These cities have gun control, but little crime control.

    You should know that I opposed congressional efforts to extend and reauthorize the ban in 2004 and will continue to fight for the constitutional rights of responsible gun owners. This bill does nothing to combat crime, which its author contends, but rather punishes hard-working, responsible Americans. The Second Amendment to the Constitution specifically states, "the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." I remain committed to seeing that these rights are upheld.

    Throughout my tenure in public service, I have always kept an open door and an open dialogue with my constituents. As Congress addresses the many challenges facing our nation, I hope you will continue to share your thoughts and views with me. Accordingly, I encourage you to visit my Web site at http://brown-waite.house.gov to email me and find useful information about our 5th Congressional District.

    It is my honor and privilege to serve the people of Florida 's 5th Congressional District and my offices and staff are here to provide you with any assistance you may need.

    Sincerely,

    Ginny Brown-Waite
    Member of Congress

    -B

  13. #42
    Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Texan in NWFlorida
    Posts
    1,588

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    I have 4 from my state...sorry guys...we try
    I wrote my Rep and she basically gave me the finger and spouted lies...then closed with "I respect your opinion"...but then she's a co-sponsor who accepts money from the Brady Bunch every campaign
    Here's the letter:
    She say's it'll keep the weapons out of neighborhoods.
    Maybe she meant that only criminals will now have them in the hoods or that it'll keep them out of law abiding citizens hands.

    Then she mentioned that it'll lessen violent crime both domestically and internationally.
    Wonder if she knows what % of muslims in foreign countries have full auto assault rifles?

  14. #43
    Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Texan in NWFlorida
    Posts
    1,588

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Well put, PJ. If only logic worked....
    Logic? You expect them to understand logic?
    How many of those 41 reps are democrats?


    ****Remember********************************
    GOOD GUN CONTROL Is Being Able To Hit Your Target!

  15. #44
    BAC
    BAC is offline
    VIP Member Array BAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    2,292
    Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    Logic? You expect them to understand logic?
    How many of those 41 reps are democrats?
    This is NOT an issue about Republicans and Democrats. This issue runs much deeper than that, and we all know it.


    -B

  16. #45
    New Member Array questionallthings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    11
    BAC, you are very lucky to have a woman representing you like that. I just wish Moran was a bit more intelligent.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. HR 1022 now has 33 co-sponsors
    By Knight in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: April 7th, 2007, 05:29 PM