20/20 tv show on guns

20/20 tv show on guns

This is a discussion on 20/20 tv show on guns within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just watched the 20/20 show and their topic was on the subject of hand guns and whether guns cause more or less crimes. The show ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20/20 tv show on guns

Thumbs up 20/20 tv show on guns

Just watched the 20/20 show and their topic was on the subject of hand guns and whether guns cause more or less crimes. The show was very positive in favor of the gun owners. I never expected this. I thought it would be a show that leaned towards the con side. It was a short show but it got the point across that guns actually stop a lot of crimes. They interviewed prisioners who stated that they went to areas that didn't have many guns and that there was less of a chance of being shot. I hope they reshow this. Maybe if enough people write or E mail 20/20 they will do it again.

It is refreshing when the media actually reports the truth instead of bs

Just watched it, awesome. Logical, fact-based and well put together. Ive always liked Stossel, if something is stupid he says it. If the facts conflict with his belief, he changes his belief. Watch the webcast if you missed it.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLYROLLER View Post
    Watch the webcast if you missed it.
    Do you happen to have a link? I'm sure it'll be on youtube eventually.

Lead Moderator
    Sorry I missed it, have to see if and when it's going to air again.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Man, I wish I had seen that.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Watched last night Stossel did a good job on segment.Nice to see
    in this day and age especially in light of recent events.

Attached is the link for the 20/20 discussion board about last nights show. As usual the debate rages on. It is nice to see something other than anti gun propaganda.

http://forums.abcnews.go.com/n/pfx/f...webtag=ABC2020

Heres the link to the story and webcast of what was aired last night.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=3083618&page=1

Great video.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Senior Moderator
    There seems to be a lot of 'awakening' to the benefits of gun ownership. Maybe people are beginning to see 'gun free' has the opposite effect of what they erroneously believed it would.

Plus, I think more people are beginning to see that their personal protection is their responsibility and that 911 and the police simply can't protect everyone.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Wow!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array Sweatnbullets's Avatar

Stossel has been doing this for a while

http://realclearpolitics.com/Comment..._19_05_JS.html

Myths About Gun Control by John Stossel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 19, 2005
    Myths About Gun Control
    By John Stossel

Guns are dangerous. But myths are dangerous, too. Myths about guns are very dangerous, because they lead to bad laws. And bad laws kill people.

"Don't tell me this bill will not make a difference," said President Clinton, who signed the Brady Bill into law.

Sorry. Even the federal government can't say it has made a difference. The Centers for Disease Control did an extensive review of various types of gun control: waiting periods, registration and licensing, and bans on certain firearms. It found that the idea that gun control laws have reduced violent crime is simply a myth.

I wanted to know why the laws weren't working, so I asked the experts. "I'm not going in the store to buy no gun," said one maximum-security inmate in New Jersey. "So, I could care less if they had a background check or not."

"There's guns everywhere," said another inmate. "If you got money, you can get a gun."

Talking to prisoners about guns emphasizes a few key lessons. First, criminals don't obey the law. (That's why we call them "criminals.") Second, no law can repeal the law of supply and demand. If there's money to be made selling something, someone will sell it.

A study funded by the Department of Justice confirmed what the prisoners said. Criminals buy their guns illegally and easily. The study found that what felons fear most is not the police or the prison system, but their fellow citizens, who might be armed. One inmate told me, "When you gonna rob somebody you don't know, it makes it harder because you don't know what to expect out of them."

What if it were legal in America for adults to carry concealed weapons? I put that question to gun-control advocate Rev. Al Sharpton. His eyes opened wide, and he said, "We'd be living in a state of terror!"

In fact, it was a trick question. Most states now have "right to carry" laws. And their people are not living in a state of terror. Not one of those states reported an upsurge in crime.

Why? Because guns are used more than twice as often defensively as criminally. When armed men broke into Susan Gonzalez' house and shot her, she grabbed her husband's gun and started firing. "I figured if I could shoot one of them, even if we both died, someone would know who had been in my home." She killed one of the intruders. She lived. Studies on defensive use of guns find this kind of thing happens at least 700,000 times a year.

And there's another myth, with a special risk of its own. The myth has it that the Supreme Court, in a case called United States v. Miller, interpreted the Second Amendment -- "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed" -- as conferring a special privilege on the National Guard, and not as affirming an individual right. In fact, what the court held is only that the right to bear arms doesn't mean Congress can't prohibit certain kinds of guns that aren't necessary for the common defense. Interestingly, federal law still says every able-bodied American man from 17 to 44 is a member of the United States militia.

What's the special risk? As Alex Kozinski, a federal appeals judge and an immigrant from Eastern Europe, warned in 2003, "the simple truth -- born of experience -- is that tyranny thrives best where government need not fear the wrath of an armed people."

"The prospect of tyranny may not grab the headlines the way vivid stories of gun crime routinely do," Judge Kozinski noted. "But few saw the Third Reich coming until it was too late. The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

And from 1-23-03 there is this,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR9RN_iSKtg

John Stossel is ABC's token conservative. He has done a great job over the years combating the ignorance of the liberal media through his excellent use of facts. I'm surprised they haven't booted him out by now.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    For God, Family and Country!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links