A thought on a "bumper-sticker" idea

This is a discussion on A thought on a "bumper-sticker" idea within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In reading Laurence Tribe's "The Embarrassing Second Amendment," I came upon a part where he mentions a revision of the old pro-gun bumper sticker slogan, ...

Thread: A thought on a "bumper-sticker" idea

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

A thought on a "bumper-sticker" idea

In reading Laurence Tribe's "The Embarrassing Second Amendment," I came upon a part where he mentions a revision of the old pro-gun bumper sticker slogan, to wit: "If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns."

I think it might make a very cogent new bumper sticker slogan to further revise the original, to something like,

"If guns are outlawed, only Georg Bush's government will have guns:
    Whaddya think about that liberals?!"

See, my thinking is, liberals claim to be about preserving the rights of the individual (of course, we know there are numerous areas in which they demonstrate their hypocrisy on that very subject). It's incongruous that they at once fear and distrust the government, and also want the People to not have guns with which to guard against its tyranny.

So, if we point out that the evil George Bush, or any future evil conservative, would control a monopoly on force if gun control were seen through to its obvious total-prohibition conclusion, maybe a few of them would realize how stupid their position supporting gun bans truly is, and how counterproductive to their cause.

Just a thought.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    That'll make them think.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

VIP Member
    Post it over democraticUnderground. org and watch them have strokes!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

So, if we point out that the evil George Bush, or any future evil conservative, would control a monopoly on force if gun control were seen through to its obvious total-prohibition conclusion, maybe ...
    In the sad logic of those desiring control over others, it's got to be one of two things:
    • Take guns from citizens, despite the risks of those across "the aisle" getting the credit for having done it at long last; or
    • Take power and then take guns from citizens, while crowing from the rooftops advertising the credit for having done it at long last.

Pick one or the other. Doesn't really matter. Evil is evil, and the result is the same. The thinking will still be over how to get citizens' guns.

Better choice, IMO: no compromise and no holds barred, until the full intent of the 2A is restored and cemented.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    See, my thinking is, liberals claim to be about preserving the rights of the individual (of course, we know there are numerous areas in which they demonstrate their hypocrisy on that very subject). It's incongruous that they at once fear and distrust the government, and also want the People to not have guns with which to guard against its tyranny.

So, if we point out that the evil George Bush, or any future evil conservative, would control a monopoly on force if gun control were seen through to its obvious total-prohibition conclusion, maybe a few of them would realize how stupid their position supporting gun bans truly is, and how counterproductive to their cause.
    Yeah, I've never understood this weird dichotomy in the left-wing mind either. They don't trust the government, but they trust it to not become a tyranny (like Nazi Germany less than only 70 years ago) that they might need to fight against?

The way Bush's government is seizing individual liberties left and right (National ID card, Assault Weapons Ban renewal, blatant cronyism, mishandling of Katrina, etc.), I don't know why anyone isn't arming up right now in case things get even worse. Of course, Americans keep voting in politicians who happily institute ever more regulations and limits on freedom, regardless of party affiliation, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. After all, anti-gun Giuliani and McCain are the two Republican front-runners now, so the Republican party obviously isn't the party for 2A supporters any more (and of course, the Dems never were). I think I'm going to be "throwing away" my vote in '08 on the Libertarian Party unless Ron Paul somehow wins the R. nomination.

I'm right there with ya, Browncoat!

"Remember Serenity Valley!!"

Quote Originally Posted by dwolsten View Post
    Yeah, I've never understood this weird dichotomy in the left-wing mind either. They don't trust the government, but they trust it to not become a tyranny (like Nazi Germany less than only 70 years ago) that they might need to fight against?
    The government is the problem... and the solution. You can't trust the government, but they're the only ones who can properly distribute the nation's wealth among those who need it. You can't count on the government to do the right thing under emergency conditions, but they would do a much better job of running our nation's health care than private business can do. The government has suspended habeas corpus, but is the only source of defense we need.

The government is the problem, more government is the solution.

I have no idea how any sane individual can seriously believe this garbage.

The bumper sticker would have been more effective prior to the last election.

The lib's believe they have already won, and that GW is a lame duck with no ability to do anything to harm them anymore. They'll keep him tied up until '08. They're not afraid of the conservatives anymore, since they soundly defeated us at the polls last year. If that doesn't scare you, then you haven't been paying attention!
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

The government is the problem... and the solution. You can't trust the government, but they're the only ones who can properly distribute the nation's wealth among those who need it. You can't count on the government to do the right thing under emergency conditions, but they would do a much better job of running our nation's health care than private business can do. The government has suspended habeas corpus, but is the only source of defense we need.

The government is the problem, more government is the solution.

I have no idea how any sane individual can seriously believe this garbage.
    Two of my best friends believe it. College educated; one even has a Ph D. and his wife is a surgeon. Sane? I think so. But certainly not in touch with reality; it can't penetrate their liberal-wishful-thinking shield.

Links