news from GOA - re: "compromise" gun bill

This is a discussion on news from GOA - re: "compromise" gun bill within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Please read and take appropriate action. .................. URGENT ALERT!!! Dingell, McCarthy, Working on 'Compromise' Gun Bill. Wednesday, May 16, 2007 Anti-gun Rep. John Dingell (D-MI) ...

Thread: news from GOA - re: "compromise" gun bill

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar

Post news from GOA - re: "compromise" gun bill

Please read and take appropriate action.
    URGENT ALERT!!!
    Dingell, McCarthy, Working on 'Compromise' Gun Bill.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Anti-gun Rep. John Dingell (D-MI) continues his assault on American gun owners.

Dingell has been tapped by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to broker a compromise with Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY) on H.R. 297, a gun control bill being pushed in the wake of the Virginia Tech shooting.

The bill provides about $1 billion to the states to "provide the National Instant Criminal Background Check System [NICS] with all records concerning persons who are prohibited from possessing or receiving a firearm... regardless of the elapsed time since the disqualifying event." .............................

http://www.gunowners.org/a051607.htm

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    ''Compromise'' - HA! A misused word about like ''Reasonable'' - all depends who is doing the interpretation.

I am always tempted to say NO - NO to compromise!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Well, I have no problem with laws that try to make it more difficult for prohibited persons from buying guns, so long as they don't also put an onerous burden on the law-abiding. And I don't see compromise as a bad thing. My problem with this is that "compromise" means that both sides give up a little in order to get a little. So what are we getting?

Stricter background checks in exchange for no more "gun free zones," or full reciprocity throughout the states (as with driver's licenses) would be a compromise I could live with. But when it's a one-way street, with one side doing all of the taking and the other side doing all of the giving, that is in no way a "compromise!"

From America's First Freedom (NRA magazine) comes another problem that I suspect is going to play into this issue: Schumer and company are working hard to apply RICO laws to gun cases. That means if they target a citizen under the RICO Act which was designed to be applied to the MAFIA and other organized crime operations a whole new litany of charges, penalties and federal rules can be brought into the case and it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to defend against. Write your reps and get RICO for gunowners crushed!!!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    I won't be on their stupid list regardless, but I'm never a fan of government interference with basic American rights.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Links