The current anti-gun bill introduced in Congress

This is a discussion on The current anti-gun bill introduced in Congress within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just got off the telephone with the NRA. First a woman introduced herself as with the NRA and asked if I had a minute to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The current anti-gun bill introduced in Congress

The current anti-gun bill introduced in Congress

Just got off the telephone with the NRA. First a woman introduced herself as with the NRA and asked if I had a minute to listen to a recorded message from the presdent of the NRA. The message essentially stated that the most extensive Federal gun control bill was introduced by congresswoman(or Senator?) McCarthy and represented the most serious threat to gun ownership and the Second Amendment we have ever faced. He said that, among other things, the Bill would ban semi-automatic handguns, and virtually any other guns the Attorney General decided was not necessary for hunting. There then followed what I thought was a very aggressive solicitation for a donation to help the NRA fight this bill. Frankly, I was somewhat put out by his "wont take no for an answer" attitude.

First question is whether anyone is sufficiently familiar with the Bill to verify the information on the recorded message?

And am I the only one who resents these kind of telephone solicitations seeking money, even from the NRA? And, by the way, I am an NRA member and make an annual contribution to their political action fund, over and above my dues, so I am by no means anti NRA.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

2. Remove Ads

I gave the NRA a fake phone number and po box

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I gave the NRA a fake phone number and po box
    So, I guess your answer to my question is yes, you do resent the solicitations, correct?
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    So, I guess your answer to my question is yes, you do resent the solicitations, correct?
    Darn straight. I paid you for membership. You keep me up to date on legislation on your website and monthly mailer. If I want to give I will give, if I don't leave me alone don't bother me for money.

I just received a mailing today from the NRA. It had two postcards inside all printed up, one to the Republican party head, and one to the Democratic party head. I was asked to fill out the name and address part and send them in. Along with the postcards, there was a strongly worded request for funds.

It would make more or less any semi-automatic rifle illegal. It would make certain semi-automatic handguns illegal based on barrel and magazine configuration. (works calling I gotta run)

HR 1022 Reinstates and expands the Clinton Assult weapon ban.
    http://www.2asisters.org/HR1022.htm

Expanded to include the following:
    (a) In General- Section 921(a)(30) of title 18, United States Code, as added by section 2(a) of this Act , is amended to read as follows:
    `(30) The term `semiautomatic assault weapon' means any of the following:
    `(A) The following rifles or copies or duplicates thereof:
    `(i) AK, AKM, AKS, AK-47, AK-74, ARM, MAK90, Misr, NHM 90, NHM 91, SA 85, SA 93, VEPR;
    `(ii) AR-10;
    `(iii) AR-15, Bushmaster XM15, Armalite M15, or Olympic Arms PCR;
    `(iv) AR70;
    `(v) Calico Liberty;
    `(vi) Dragunov SVD Sniper Rifle or Dragunov SVU;
    `(vii) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FNC;
    `(viii) Hi-Point Carbine;
    `(ix) HK-91, HK-93, HK-94, or HK-PSG-1;
    `(x) Kel-Tec Sub Rifle;
    `(xi) M1 Carbine;
    `(xii) Saiga;
    `(xiii) SAR-8, SAR-4800;
    `(xiv) SKS with detachable magazine;
    `(xv) SLG 95;
    `(xvi) SLR 95 or 96;
    `(xvii) Steyr AUG;
    `(xviii) Sturm, Ruger Mini-14;
    `(xix) Tavor;
    `(xx) Thompson 1927, Thompson M1, or Thompson 1927 Commando; or
    `(xxi) Uzi, Galil and Uzi Sporter, Galil Sporter, or Galil Sniper Rifle (Galatz).
    `(B) The following pistols or copies or duplicates thereof:
    `(i) Calico M-110;
    `(ii) MAC-10, MAC-11, or MPA3;
    `(iii) Olympic Arms OA;
    `(iv) TEC-9, TEC-DC9, TEC-22 Scorpion, or AB-10; or
    `(v) Uzi.
    `(C) The following shotguns or copies or duplicates thereof:
    `(i) Armscor 30 BG;
    `(ii) SPAS 12 or LAW 12;
    `(iii) Striker 12; or
    `(iv) Streetsweeper.
    `(D) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine, and that has--
    `(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
    `(ii) a threaded barrel;
    `(iii) a pistol grip;
    `(iv) a forward grip; or
    `(v) a barrel shroud.
    `(F) A semiautomatic pistol that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine, and has--
    `(i) a second pistol grip;
    `(ii) a threaded barrel;
    `(iii) a barrel shroud; or
    `(iv) the capacity to accept a detachable magazine at a location outside of the pistol grip.
    `(G) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

It also reomves certain exemptions:
    SEC. 5. REPEAL OF CERTAIN EXEMPTIONS.
    Section 922(v)(3) of title 18, United States Code, as added by section 2(a) of this Act , is amended by striking `(3)' and all that follows through the 1st sentence and inserting the following:
    `(3) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to any firearm that--
    `(A) is manually operated by bolt, pump, level, or slide action;
    `(B) has been rendered permanently inoperable; or
    `(C) is an antique firearm.'.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar

I wonder?

So pistol grip shotguns will be outlawed?

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    So pistol grip shotguns will be outlawed?
    only semi-auto shotguns with a pistol grip.

This is the part that bothers me most though.

Quote Originally Posted by gun-grabbers
    `(L) A semiautomatic rifle or shotgun originally designed for military or law enforcement use, or a firearm based on the design of such a firearm, that is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, as determined by the Attorney General. In making the determination, there shall be a rebuttable presumption that a firearm procured for use by the United States military or any Federal law enforcement agency is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, and a firearm shall not be determined to be particularly suitable for sporting purposes solely because the firearm is suitable for use in a sporting event.'.
    This basically says any semi-auto rifle or shotgun that has ever been designed or procured for any military or LE use is an "assault weapon". Guess what? That's just about any rifle or shotgun ever designed, with the exception of bolt-action rifles and pump shotguns, and it won't take long for those "deadly sniper rifles and riot guns" to be added to the list.

I especially like the last sentance - Just because a gun in suitable for a sporting event doesn't mean it's suitable for sporting purposes. ***?

"....not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, as determined by the Attorney General??????? So, one man decides what is or is not suitable. Beautiful, just.........beautiful. Also, the NRA isn't perfect. Consider where we would be without them.

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    I don't recall the 2nd Amendment saying we have the "right to bear congressionally approved arms." Hmmm. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention in civics class.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Quote Originally Posted by incredipete View Post
    I don't recall the 2nd Amendment saying we have the "right to bear congressionally approved arms." Hmmm. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention in civics class.
    Actually it's worse...Congressionally would insinuate that there was actually a majority vote amongst congress...This is Attorney General approved....
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I would take this seriously!!! You never know what is going to happen. Steve48

A question and a prediction. First, the question: When is this bill up for a vote? And then the prediction: Just a guess but I am willing to say that the gun shops will see a big run on most of the items listed on the ban list.
    In your darkest hour, always remember someone is coming for you and that you are never truly alone.......

NRA member
    NRA Business Alliance member

+1 to tactical mind above. Since this has became an issue that we hear about frequently I have actually made a list of these guns that I am trying to obtain within a reasonable amount of time.
    I guess the real question is, how soon is this going to be voted on, and ... How soon can it possibly become a reality??
    This will set my time frame for aquiring said weapons.
    S
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I believe the bill is stuck in commitee, and with the exposure it has and the kind of grass-roots response it has recieved, I don't think it will see a vote. Even if it did though, everybody remembers the kind of backlash there was in 1994 against anyone who even thought about voting for that AWB. With a democratically controlled congress, it would be suicide to pass something like this, especially leading into a presidential campaign.

Not to say that we shouldn't take it seriously, or shouldn't fight it. We most certainly should. But, I don't think it will see the light of day.... this time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links