Defensive Carry banner

Idaho Teens carry firearms around town

2K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  Sig 210 
#1 ·
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,274138,00.html

POST FALLS, Idaho — Two home-schooled teenagers in this northern Idaho town say they are carrying loaded guns to the library, grocery store and other public areas for self-defense, as a crime deterrent, and to educate others about their rights.

Zach Doty, 18, carries a loaded Glock handgun on his hip. His 15-year-old brother, Steven, carries a .22-caliber rifle in a sling on his back.

Police have been called on several occasions to question the teens but have not found the teens to be in violation of the law.

In Idaho, residents 18 and older can openly carry a firearm in public. And those ages 13 to 17 who have parental permission can carry a rifle in public.

"I certainly don't anticipate that I'll need to use it, but I'd rather have it and not need it than to not have it and need it," Zach told the Coeur d'Alene Press. "There's no reason for me to hide a weapon."

Zach was stopped April 17 on his way to Bible study. On Friday, police again responded when someone reported the brothers with guns in a park. But police left after confirming it was the Doty's.

Zach has also been approached by others.

"There have been good opportunities to speak to people," he said. "I make sure they know that open carrying is legal, why I carry and I encourage them to consider doing so themselves."

The brothers carry their weapons to parks, the library, grocery stores and other places. They can't have their guns with them on school property, courthouses or jails.

Not everyone is comfortable with armed teenagers in the neighborhood.

"I turned back so that my wife could verify what I saw," said James Rebal, who called police after seeing Zach with his gun. "He was very nicely dressed and I saw nothing to be concerned about other than the weapon. It's not something you see in Idaho. Virginia Tech was fresh in my mind, and I thought it was better to err on the side of concern."

A lone gunman killed 32 people and himself last month at Virginia Tech University.

John Dunlap, commander of the American Legion Post 143, said he asked Zach to leave the Legion at a recent lunch because Zach was carrying his gun.

"He left and came back the next day (without the gun) for soup," said Dunlap, who described the brothers as "well-mannered."

Ed Santos owns Center Target Sports in Post Falls and is a gun safety instructor. He said the Dotys came to his shop but he doesn't sell handgun ammunition to people under 21.

He said that just because the Dotys are carrying guns in public doesn't mean they're not responsible with them, but questioned the need to carry them in town even though it was legal.

"My advice for them is the same as it is with adults — yes it's your right and yes it's legal, but why draw unnecessary attention to yourself just because you can?" Santos said. "I believe the intent (of the law) was to allow it more for hunting and recreation."

Zach said he's not paranoid or a radical.

"If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."
I'm kind of surprised at the towns reaction, especially the American Legion and the firearm safety instructor. Maybe he should be encouraging more people to carry. He I'm not sure I'd want to take a driving class from someone who believes he can put on a seat belt when he sees a crash coming.

#3 ·
John Dunlap, commander of the American Legion Post 143, said he asked Zach to leave the Legion at a recent lunch because Zach was carrying his gun.
That's pathetic. Its not like he doesn't know the kid.

"He left and came back the next day (without the gun) for soup," said Dunlap, who described the brothers as "well-mannered."
Pretty big of the kid to come back the next day - that must be some really good soup.:smile: Good for both of them - wish there were about half a million more kids just like that in this country.

#4 ·
I Like Those Boys...

:congrats::congrats::congrats:

Nothing wrong with common sense...sounds like both the boys and their parents have plenty of it...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret:urla9ub:

#6 ·
Those boys have my respect. :usa:

"I turned back so that my wife could verify what I saw," said James Rebal, who called police after seeing Zach with his gun. "He was very nicely dressed and I saw nothing to be concerned about other than the weapon. It's not something you see in Idaho. Virginia Tech was fresh in my mind, and I thought it was better to err on the side of concern."
That jerk does not. :mad:

Um, how does, "I saw nothing to be concerne about," translate to, "I'm callin' the cops!"?

The next time I see someone in public who has HANDS, I'm gonna call the cops, because while it's legal to have hands in public, I just have no way of knowing that he won't curl them into fists and start punching people at random. :rolleyes:

#7 ·
"If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

From an 18 year old...too bad our leaders don't understand this little gem of knowledge. I think I have a new signature line

#8 ·
My quote too - Zach has a mature head on his shoulders.

#9 ·
Sound like the brainwashing hasn't yet reached their home. Good for them. It's sanity like that everyone could use more of.

What the police/mayor need to do is send out a public statement regarding the legality of firearms ownership and carrying, that it's perfectly legal and warranted if upstanding citizens choose to do so. Likely? No, but they'd show their honor if they did.

#11 ·
This statement galls me...

"My advice for them is the same as it is with adults — yes it's your right and yes it's legal, but why draw unnecessary attention to yourself just because you can?" Santos said. "I believe the intent (of the law) was to allow it more for hunting and recreation."

First of all they are NOT trying to draw attention to "themselves"... they are drawing attention to their right to be armed and protect themselves

And not "because they can"... because they feel the NEED TO!

They have little choice but to carry openly. Thats the only way they can obey the law. They cannot get concealed carry permits.

And here we go with that hunting and recreation stuff only. Where in the Constitution exactly is that? NOWHERE!!!!

This guy needs a lesson in the laws and its foundation. Who is he to be giving out advice with as little a knowledge as he has? He does not need to be representing himself as an instructor. He should know better.

#12 ·
It seems I constantly an shaking my head in disbelief these days. I can remember as a kid (about 10 years old) out in Western PA (near New Castle) most of us kids carried either a .22 rifle or BB gun most of the time........ And NO ONE gave it a second thought!

Of course no bird or groundhog was safe! :wink:

#13 ·
Man they would go batcrap out here where a 16 yr old kid may well get out of a pickup with an ar , ak , and a centerfire pistol on the dash , not even lock it , and go get lunch . We dont steal from others here , and are a small enough place that you best belong to a vehicle , or just get in and set quietly waiting the owner . not so much as stereo's get stolen here . farm kids are rifled up , many times handguns too , we dont think a lot about it .

#14 ·
Back in my Fathers days, as a boy growing up in the Town of Easton Maryland (in the 30's) he would get up early enough to run his trap lines for Muskrat and carry his shotgun with him and often had to go straight to school afterwards. He would leave out from the Jail house (his father was the Sheriff) and walk though town at daybreak or before to do it. The school house was where the guns were racked along with wadders, coats and lunch pails and strings of muskrat pelts hung outside until school was out for the day. Often was seen a few rifles and shotguns lined up each morning. And Muskrat pelts were sold for buying of shells. Most Churches had a gun rack too.

#15 ·
kudos to those 2 boys. They know the laws, they know their rights, and they refused to be cowed into giving them up. I can only assume their parents have equally good heads on their shoulders. If only there were more of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.