New Mexico Right To Carry Reform Signed By Governor

This is a discussion on New Mexico Right To Carry Reform Signed By Governor within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; NEW MEXICO GOVERNOR SIGNS NRA-BACKED RIGHT-TO-CARRY REFORM BILL INTO LAW On April 6, New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson (D) signed House Bill 641, the Right-to-Carry ...

Thread: New Mexico Right To Carry Reform Signed By Governor

1952 - 2006

NEW MEXICO GOVERNOR SIGNS
    NRA-BACKED RIGHT-TO-CARRY REFORM BILL INTO LAW

On April 6, New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson (D) signed House Bill 641, the Right-to-Carry Reform Bill, into law while visiting the NRA Whittington Center in Raton. This NRA-backed legislation improves New Mexico's existing Right-to-Carry laws and expands access to licenses by more law-abiding New Mexicans.

"These changes will encourage more law- abiding New Mexicans to apply for a license and protect themselves in a lawful, responsible manner," stated NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

New Mexico's Right-to-Carry Reform Bill reduces the minimum age for permit applicants from 25 to 21, which will expand licensing opportunities to law-abiding gun owners previously prohibited from obtaining a Right-to-Carry license.

The bill also increases the lifespan of the license from two to four years. Additionally, it allows the Department of Public Safety to enter into reciprocal agreements with other Right-to-Carry states.

"On behalf of NRA and our state affiliate, the New Mexico Shooting Sports Association, I'd like to thank Governor Richardson for his strong support in seeing this bill become law," continued Cox. "Thank you also to Representative John Heaton
    (D-55) and Senator Shannon Robinson (D-17), as well as the New Mexico Department of Public Safety for their sponsorship and testimony for this bill in the legislature. New Mexico has heard and honored the will of the people to improve Right-to-Carry, and the NRA and our members are grateful to all who stood up for our Second Amendment freedoms."

The law will take effect on June 17. Thank you for your calls and e-mails during the legislative session to help pass HB 41!
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

DC Founder
    Way to go New Mexico. I salute the guy even if he is a Democrat.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Maybe the forum members should write the Gov a nice letter thanking him for the 2nd amend support. Now I know some of these guys would have trouble holding anything but a gun or knife in their hands, we would help them.smile.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Maybe our Democrat Gov will now get off her girlfriend (nothing wrong with that ) long enough to sign our lifetime CCW.

I'd like to think the unilateral proclamation TX passed had something to do with this.

Assistant Administrator
    Bob - that is excellent news - another small plus on the road to uniformity. Sad tho that that it can be countered by the bad news from MN
    Three judges of the Minnesota Court of Appeals on April 12 ruled that the Right-to-Carry law passed last year is invalid due to procedures used during its passage.
    A retrograde move regretably.

Still quite some ways to go before all the battles are won. The MD folks are fighting hard and I hope too one day - IL and KS will see sense.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I'm pretty hopefull that NE will pass CCW this time, too. The bill is out of committie and scheduled for floor debate in our one-and-only legislative body. The Governor is in favor of it. There may be an attempt to fillibuster by perinneal opponents, but they're enough of a minority that an anticipated cloture vote should be successful. The most visible leader of the opposition is term-limited out of office in '06 after 38 years as a major PITA. During the last budget go-round, he fought against using state funds for livestock prizes at the state fair because "it only benefits a few kids". He's anti-everything, and I plan to quaff an ale or six when he's no longer in office.

Additionally, NE had a CCW ballot initiative that passed several years ago, but does that mean anything to the legislature? Noooooooooooo! Never does because, of course "They" know better than "The People".
    If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes.

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    It had nothing much to do with the TX move, and almost everything to do with major lobbying by NMSSA and Gov. Richardson's desire to move from an NRA "A" rating to an "A+" rating for his 2008 run for the presidency.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Erich
    It had nothing much to do with the TX move, and almost everything to do with major lobbying by NMSSA and Gov. Richardson's desire to move from an NRA "A" rating to an "A+" rating for his 2008 run for the presidency.

Don't ya just love politics!!

Congrats on NM new found "freedom". Will look forward to the recip with CO.

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

Quote Originally Posted by Erich
    Ha! Absolutely!

I often wonder why TX did that. It seemed like a meaningless if noble spirited gesture, and our legislature meets for about a week once every 3 years. Seems like time that was wasted.

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    Yeah, I think CO is the only bordering state where my NM permit is no good (let's see, TX, AZ, OK, UT . . . yup).

However, they're down with my FL permit, so it's cool.

Sponsored Links