This dawned on me...

This dawned on me...

This is a discussion on This dawned on me... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not sure of the use of something like this but it struck me earlier. Critique please. Do you know what a ladder is? You might ...

Thread: This dawned on me...

This dawned on me...

Not sure of the use of something like this but it struck me earlier. Critique please.

Do you know what a ladder is?

You might not own a ladder but odds are pretty good you know someone who does or you've at least seen one on TV. The fact is, ladders are everywhere and they let people do something they couldn't do otherwise. Is it anyone's fault they're not naturally capable of reaching 12 feet high off the ground?

Sure there's probably a few exceptional people who can go their whole lives without a ladder, but even they will probably acknowledge ladders are useful.

There's all sorts of ladders.

There's ladders that are really tall, that can reach heights of two stories or more.

There's ladders made out of fiberglass, wood, and metal.

Some ladders have features that make them easier and safer to use. For instance a ladder may be made out of light weight material, or it may collapse for storage, or it may have ladder boots with non skid surfaces.

They're everywhere, and they're not exactly cheap but there's surely one in your budget. All you have to do is pay for it and it's yours.

Sometimes you don't want a big ladder. Sometimes a little step stool or step ladder is all you need.

Do ladders make some people nervous? Of course. Lots of people are afraid of high places, and some people are afraid of passing under one. However, these are just paranoias and myths playing on our minds. The truth is that ladders are actually safe as long as you use them properly.

I'm afraid of heights myself, very afraid as a matter of fact. But I've found the more I use a ladder the less scared I am.

So even if you don't have a step stool or ladder of any sort let's pretend you do. It's not that much of a stretch, right? Are you so fundamentally different from a person that would own such a thing?

Okay so you're a ladder owner now.

Now let's pretend everyone starts telling you one day that ladders should only be used by professional contractors who are licensed to do repairs. But you don't do repairs. You just need to reach the gutters so you can clean them. Or maybe you can't reach the top shelf. So you keep using your ladder anyway.

And people keep warning you. Wouldn't that get annoying? After all it doesn't make any sense to have that ladder and not use it.

Then one day there's a law passed that you can't own a ladder more than 12 feet tall. Odds are pretty good this law doesn't actually effect you, but what if you had a two or three story house? Some people do. Can you see how a maximum ladder length could be annoying for someone?

Then it comes out in the news that people are sneaking fiberglass ladders into ladder free areas because they're so light. They start a campaign to ban fiberglass ladders. But wait a minute, aren't most modern ladders made out of fiberglass? The more you think about it, the less sense this idea makes but it keeps going strong.

Then a law is passed that your ladder has to weigh at least 40 pounds, it can't fold or collapse, and it can't have certain safety features unless it was made before a certain date. Also, your ladder can't have more than 10 rungs unless you're a licensed contractor, then you can have as many as you want.

Then they ban any ladder costing less than $250, stating that such cheap ladders are only useful for cat burglars and vandals. But your ladder costs about $100 and you've never robbed or vandalized anyone.

Then they say you can only get ladders from licensed ladder sellers. You have to register your ladder with the police. You can only buy one ladder a month. Meanwhile, people who use ladders for illegal purposes just seem to get ladders from nowhere.

And to top it all off they start talking about banning step stools and step ladders because they're too small. No honest person could need a ladder that small, they say.

Are you confused? Flustered? A little angry? You should be. All you did was own a ladder.

Was all that nonsense necessary? Did it really accomplish anything?

Yes it accomplished one thing. It made it difficult to impossible for you to use a ladder and take care of a very simple thing effectively without going to jail.

And now you know how over sixty six million Americans who own firearms feel.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar

It was so thirst quenching.

Euc,

Set down the glass. It's not a frosty 'Blue Moon.' It's Windex.

Even at my age, when my mind wanders it's usually Beyonce' Knowles scrubbing my Harley. Never mused 'bout no ladder.

Kidding aside, I get your point. But your fear is already out there. Read all of the warning labels required on a ladder by law. 'Big Brother' saw you coming. He wants more than your guns.

DC Founder
    You need to post that on some anti-gun websites and see what kind of reaction you get. Interesting way to make point
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Actually, other than the fact it shows that our government is a huge overbloated entity with nothing better to do, "Warnings" on stuff don't bother me so long as it's just a warning printed on the package and not a restriction.

Personally, if they'd just include a "warning" with every handgun and in exchange got rid of all of the other stupidity in place around guns I'd let it go.

I'll even write it for them:

WARNING: The Surgeon General has determined that shooting a goblin can be hazardous for its health.

Another interesting observation. There are places with an anti gun bent, but the antis don't have public discussion forums like this. Ever notice that?

I think they're trying to hide how their ideas don't really make a whole lot of sense when you start talking about them.

Administrator

Thumbs up Euclidean

That was a super worthwhile little "read" ~ I really liked that.
    Did you actually write that or...did you find it from somewhere do a copy & paste?
    That was great!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Great read!

You need to post that on some anti-gun websites and see what kind of reaction you get.
    Unfortunately, the whiny, bed-wetting reaction will be, "Well, ladders weren't invented to kill people."
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Administrator

Betty

Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    Great read!

Unfortunately, the whiny, bed-wetting reaction will be, "Well, ladders weren't invented to kill people."
    You've not ever seen me up on a ladder! I think they just might have been invented to kill people.

Assistant Administrator
    Euc - excellent parallel ....... uncomfortably so!!

Makes me think of all the other things that so illustrate the problems - the Sheep and the Wolf. The frog in pot of water ... so many.

Some of what lies within the ladder deal extends also to the trend these days for an ever more ''nannified'' situation ......... ''we know best'' - ''it's for the kids'' etc. Sadly, the vast majority of folks are actually reasonably OK with looking after themselves - the majority at least (tho when you see some of what the minority can 'achieve'' you might be excused for wondering!) - can and do find enough common sense to be able to survive - without Gov't intervention.

Probably the worst trend (apart from ''PC'' everything) - is this treatment of minority groups as if they were majority.

But then - ''we'', the gunnies - are statistically minority - however with that comes the blaming of very minority sections within (BG's included) for the sins of all. That very much angers me - always has done. Try to impose new laws (more) just because some 0.001% of the gun owning folks have erred and/or committed crimes.... whilst the rest (mega majority) are sane, lawful people who present no threat and seek only to enjoy the recreational aspects of shooting, as well is excercizing their implicit right to a means of defence of selves.

Must be careful - I feel ''soapbox'' status coming on - time to stop!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Links