Maine Bill Wording

Maine Bill Wording

This is a discussion on Maine Bill Wording within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok guys , I've talked to my state rep about getting a bill proposed that would eliminate the ability of companies to prohibit legally owned ...

Thread: Maine Bill Wording

Maine Bill Wording

Ok guys , I've talked to my state rep about getting a bill proposed that would eliminate the ability of companies to prohibit legally owned items within PERSONAL vehicles while they are on company property . The problem is , I'm trying to get the wording just right and so far I have this :

A bill to make unlawful , the prohibition of legal items within a personal vehicle by any business operating within maine . No company or business may make it a condition of employment , nor terms for termination , that any legal item within a personally owned vehicle is prohibited while that vehicle is on business or company property .
    Suggestions? Comments? Help?

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I hope you can pull it off but I doubt it will happen because I would
    have a problem if I was a business owner what was allowed in vehicles on my property.Most people just do it and keep quiet.

Well , the wording states "legal" . Business owner or not , if it's legal , I don't see a problem with what someone personally keeps in their vehicle . It's not the "legal" people that businesses need to worry about , it's the jacka$$$s that wouldn't pay attention to what "store/company" policy is anyways .

Most people just do it and keep quiet.
    I do , but hate to think that there will be a "spot inspection" one day that would relieve me of my employment for having something completely legal .

Lew
    Indeed, While I was at Bath Iron Works, they had a huge hissy fit of union members and management having the hunting rifles in vehicles durning hunting season. Right now it is a termination offense, so you will see very few truck window racks now. The wording also include spent casings, heaven forbid you have a hitchhiking .22lr casing in your pants pocket and some one sees it while getting change for the vending machine... really stupid. I hope this gets passed.

Started this Fall I am going to try to get things like this passed... I can't wait to get off the road....
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

Well Lew , so far I've worked for a few different companies that prohibited firearms of any kind on their property . The crappy thing is the shift I was working was perfect to get out of work and go hunting . Had to hide my guns behind my truck seat and hope they didn't want to do some form of "spot inspection" . The current company I work for even had a hissy fit over my keyring knife ( 1 1/4" blade) . They won't even allow a gerber/shrade/ leatherman multi tool on company property .The best part is not being able to even have a box cutter to cut open pallets of goods .

If all goes well my rep will submit this this session , but there's a chance it may have to wait till next session (over a year) . Hopefully cool heads and common sense will prevail in this .

Quote Originally Posted by ptmmatssc View Post
    Ok guys , I've talked to my state rep about getting a bill proposed that would eliminate the ability of companies to prohibit legally owned items within PERSONAL vehicles while they are on company property . The problem is , I'm trying to get the wording just right and so far I have this :

Suggestions? Comments? Help?

while I agree somewhat with your intent, I don't know if I agree with the bill as proposed. For example, you work for company XYZ, if you drove to work with a bunch of signs in your window that say "company XYZ is a bunch of scum-sucking lying crooks" do you really think that management does not have the right to terminate you for this. Just my opinion, but I don't think that government needs to be getting involved in why private businesses can fire their employees. I think if a business wants to let you go because you like the color blue then they should be able to. If they want to say no Led Zeplin CDs in your car on THEIR property then they should be well within their right to fire you for such an offence. Do you believe that you have the right to free speach while on a private business' land? I realize this seems extreme here, but just remember you are speaking about LAW and people will push it as far as it can possibly go to suit their agenda.
    I think about it this way...If you come into my home wearing a Million Mom March tee shirt then I have the right to ask you to leave. Do we really want more government control in personal aspects of our lives (be it at home or business)? This would certainly make it easier on us as CCW holders, but I feel that this issue is a "one step forward two steps back" kind of deal.
    probably not the most popular view around here, but it's how I feel....being a Mainer (currently in temporary exile) I'm not sure I would ask my rep to vote for this measure. Not saying that your heart isn't in the right place trying to advance CCW issues though!!! For that you have my full support. Just some things to think about. If nothing else, thanks for taking some initiative on something that matters to you...not enough people do this.

raysheen

if someone enters your house and you request they leave due to something you don't like about them , you have that right . Maine law allows a business to fire you for no cause . But they cannot discriminate etc as the reason .

Now , remember , a business is just that . They are not "people" . they are a paper construct . Do you really believe that their rights mean more than yours?

i agree that while on their property , i must obey their rules , but while I'm in MY car , that I payed for , pay insurance on , pay excise tax , etc etc , then that is MY personal property within it to do as I may legally please .

I find it hard to understand how people want to protect businesses "rights" when in fact they have none , other than what is granted them vs our rights ( the peoples) which are laid out in our constitution and BOR .

Sorry to rant , but the idea that people seem to be giving up more and more to "business" and gov really strikes a nerve .Personal rights seem to be taking a back seat to what 'business' wants and what gov demands .

Btw Raysheen , do you search you visitors vehicles when they visit or do you consider that their personal property ? I know that when people visit MY home , when they step out into my yard , it's MY rules . Other than that , what they have in THEIR vehicles is not my concern .

company XYZ is a bunch of scum-sucking lying crooks
    That's called libel and covered by law . Nice try though .

Sponsored Links