A new range and it is supported by tax dollars.

This is a discussion on A new range and it is supported by tax dollars. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Shooting Range Opens in Johnson County May 29, 2007 05:53 PM EDT Shooting Range Opens in Johnson County By Jim Shella News 8 @ 6:00 ...

Shooting Range Opens in Johnson County

May 29, 2007 05:53 PM EDT

Shooting Range Opens in Johnson County

By Jim Shella
    News 8 @ 6:00

JOHNSON COUNTY, Ind. - The governor dedicated a new, multi-million dollar, world-class shooting range in Johnson County Tuesday that is open to the public. It bears the name of a war hero from New Whiteland.

High school students fired some of the first shots at the new Joseph E. Proctor Memorial Shooting Range in the Atterbury Fish and Wildlife Area.

"It's necessary to have a safe, comfortable place for people to shoot," said Mark Reiter, Department of Natural Resources.

The shooting range cost $4.7 million and is state of the art. It's named after Sgt. Joe Proctor, the first Indiana recipient of the Silver Star since the Vietnam War. He died while fighting in Iraq last year.

"I say people'll be coming out here and they'll know what he stands for. That's the biggest thing in America," said Lloyd Proctor, Joe Proctor's father.

"There are men alive today who would not be if not, first for the courage, and then for the skill and marksmanship of this great soldier," Governor Mitch Daniels said.

Twenty-seven members of Joe Proctor's family attended the dedication ceremony. They include a son who joined the National Guard after his father was killed.

"A whole bunch of people are here that don't even know him that are still out here to celebrate this and that means a lot," said Joseph Proctor, Joe Proctor's son.

The facility is open to the public. It is paid for, in large part, by taxes on the sale of firearms and ammunition.

VIP Member
    Wow, very cool. Way to go IN!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    Great! Maybe some of it will rub off on Illinois being so close. OK, probably not. But it was a good thought.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    And I bet everyone has to shoot from those idiotic concrete benches.

The two ranges I normally use are in state parks here in KY. I thought this was common, but I guess we're spoiled. I've never paid a range fee.

I probably would, if we had an indoor range somewhere close. One of the few drawbacks of living in the "hills", I suppose.

I would feel humble to shoot at a range named after such a fine human being!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Cool!

And I just read in the local paper the other day that Palm Beach County is moving further along with plans to open a public shooting range. Currently there is none in the county, and the county is third in the state for number of shooters. The only "public" range here is the sheriff's office range, which is open to the public like only once a month, so it's essentially useless.

So they have been talking about adding a public facility adjoining the sheriff's facility. I have to assume it'll be a county taxpayer-funded thing. GOOD!

Good job!!!!!!! Steve48

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    It's good to see a state out on the leading edge. I hope many more follow suit.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

Links