The absurd seems possible after all!

This is a discussion on The absurd seems possible after all! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; And taxpayers PAY these idiots to think up this kind of crap? I would't go to/travel in/or visit California if it were the last place ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The absurd seems possible after all!

And taxpayers PAY these idiots to think up this kind of crap?

I would't go to/travel in/or visit California if it were the last place left in the U.S. Give it back to Mexico...they just about own it anyway...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    REVOLVERS FOR EVERYONE!!!!
    There is no reason why microstamping could not be applied to a revolver.
    Simply apply the identifier markings to the hammer/striker of a revolver or within the barrel of said revolver just as applied to a semi-auto.

Below is info toward how microstamping is proposed to be applied...
    Microstamping - Frequently Asked Questions

What is microstamping?

Microstamping is a new technology that would allow police to positively link used cartridge cases recovered at crime scenes to the firearms and criminals that fired them.

How does it work?

The basic technology of microstamping involves the use of powerful lasers to make extremely precise, microscopic engravings on the firing pin or inside the firing chamber of a gun. Police at a crime scene can immediately read the microscopic serial numbers on the shell casings and link the evidence to the specific gun that fired the round. Manufacturers would decide what the identifying marks look like and where they're placed, making it harder for criminals to tamper with the firearm.

Source - http://www.csgv.org/issues/illegalma...tics/msfaq.cfm
    All one needs to solve this problem is identify how their gun is microstamped and if it's at the firing pin/striker then swap that part out for an aftermarket or used source which is not microstamped.
    If the barrel is microstamped then simply order an aftermarket one as well, for a semi-auto. Additionally some applied light filing or even acid etching of the metal would obscure if not remove such an identifier...all abilities within the range of an average 100IQ level criminal.

It seems with schemes like this and cartridge cataloging (MD) the assumedly educated pencil pushers have a focus on the low hanging fruit, at what ever exorbitant tax payer cost necessary.
    IIRC MA has investigated toward applying the same tech here.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    While I'm sure some BG's would try it, I'd like to think that forensics could show that the powder residue on the victim and other items wouldn't match the stuff inside the planted casings. Sneaky trick, though.
    The forensics would show your casings were planted, but the problem that I see is the time/money you would need to spend on your defense until that point. I doubt the police would give you the benefit of being innocent until the forensics were confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by OrganDonor View Post
    The forensics would show your casings were planted, but the problem that I see is the time/money you would need to spend on your defense until that point. I doubt the police would give you the benefit of being innocent until the forensics were confirmed.
    Bingo! ^^

As well there are _numerous_ cases of people taken through the justice system wringer in current modern times because police di d not care to do extended checks of the simplest of science basics. Not to mention ot every police force nationwide has a CSI dept. and even amongst those that do they are not infallible or even absolutely reliable, as based on very many later to be discovered false arrests and imprisonments.

Also what if you are Joe Average and don't have the coin to hire Barry Scheck and build up a 'dream team' toward your defense? What if you can only afford a public defender? You're screwed.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array incredipete's Avatar
    Aren't there already like... eleventy jillion guns floating around that DON'T have that?

Sounds like a dumb idea.
    Gun Control means never having to say "I missed you."

- Glock 27 (.40)
    - Kel-Tec p3at (.380)
    - Beretta 96FS (.40)
    - Smith & Wesson 5906 (9mm)

JD
    Administrator
    Microstamping is a new technology that would allow police to positively link used cartridge cases recovered at crime scenes to the firearms and criminals that fired them.

Link cartridges to a gun, fine. But how will it link them to criminals who obtain the guns illegally, unless they happen to:
    A: Find the BG with the gun still in his possession.
    B: Fin the BG's prints on the gun or the casings.

What will this accomplish for a smarter guy that wears gloves when loading and shooting and then just ditches the gun?

insert sarcasm
    I know, how about we propse a law that issues a neon sign with every gun that will later be used for a crime, when a crime is commited the neon sign that is mandated to be carried by the owner while the gun is in his possesion will light letting everyone know that a crime has been commited.

I'm sure the BG's will carry these neon signs as they obey all the laws to the letter anyway.

end of sarcasm, carry on

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    There is no reason why microstamping could not be applied to a revolver.
    Simply apply the identifier markings to the hammer/striker of a revolver or within the barrel of said revolver just as applied to a semi-auto.

Below is info toward how microstamping is proposed to be applied...

All one needs to solve this problem is identify how their gun is microstamped and if it's at the firing pin/striker then swap that part out for an aftermarket or used source which is not microstamped.
    If the barrel is microstamped then simply order an aftermarket one as well, for a semi-auto. Additionally some applied light filing or even acid etching of the metal would obscure if not remove such an identifier...all abilities within the range of an average 100IQ level criminal.

- Janq

Yes but then they will make it a felony to modify any part of the firearm that is involved in the marking process.

All this money dumped into a stupid law and all it takes to get around it is 5 mins with a file.

I think the goverment works much like the company I work for. We often make up things to do that have no value what so ever. But, the time spent on these projects gets people promoted and keeps everyone paid. If your not busy doing somethin then you don't need to be paid. The worst thing you can do is sit around with idle hands.

Doesn't make sense.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Yep. :\

- Janq

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I don't get it!!! Where do you put the micro Stamping "TECHNOLOGY" on the Firing pin or in the Chamber, on the ejector, extractor?

What are you going to do ban semi-automatic barrels now and firing pins in CA. I mean COME ON all you have to do is buy a new Firing pin, or Striker, and a new barrel, OOO No maybe a new Ejector and or Extractor. If I were the gun companies I would just say forget you Peace out we are done with you California. How do those people sleep at night over their.

OO forgot with armed security personal from the USC Offensive line, attack animals that are cross bread from a rotweiller, cheetah ( for speed) tiger (for the pure Sex look) and camel's so it can spit at you as you jump over their fence trying to evade the *** (Film Actors Guild) Pansy's while they shoot at you with their full-auto gold plated HK MP5's. OO those are exempt because the Film Actors Guild is way better then us normal people and deserve way more rights then the average joe-quote Jane Fonda.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I'd like my cases microstamped with "Law abiding citizen was here"

If the Companies don't take a hard stand against this, then the customer can boycott any company that Microstamps. If it looks as if the companies are going to fold, then just start buying up all the used guns you can for spare parts.

As a matter a fact, that last part sounds like a good Idea for now. I need to start shopping for more 1911 type guns.(more then I am now that is)

heres the letter Brady is sending out
    SENSIBLE GUN LEGISLATION MOVES FORWARD!
    Your Phone Calls Made a Difference

Dear California StoptheNRA Member,

Thanks in part to your phone calls, the Crime Gun Identification Act of 2007 (AB
    1471) cleared its first major hurdle in passing the State Assembly by a vote of
    44-31. This crime fighting bill that will help law enforcement solve crimes and
    reduce gun trafficking is now one step closer to becoming law. Thank you again
    for all your help.

The Crime Gun Identification Act would require that starting in 2010, new
    semi-automatic handguns be equipped with technology to allow police to match
    bullet shells found at a crime scene to the handgun that fired the bullets. This
    technology, known as "microstamping" would substantially enhance law
    enforcement's ability to rapidly identify and link shell casings found at a crime scene to the
    individual semi-automatic handgun from which it was fired.

You can read more about the passage of the Crime Gun Identification Act in a
    recent article from the San Francisco Chronicle here:
    http://www.bradynetwork.org/site/R?i...9AFNEMWTydbqUA.. We will keep you
    posted on the next steps needed to pass this important legislation.

For more information on this legislation or to get involved locally in the gun
    violence prevention movement, please contact the California Brady Campaign
    Chapters (www.bradycampaign.org/ca).

Thank you for working for safer communities in California!

Sincerely,
    Your Friends at StoptheNRA.com
    www.stopthenra.com

Click here to donate to our work to Stop the NRA.
    Right now we have a Matching Gift from an anonymous donor. Your gift will be
    worth twice as much today!
    http://www.bradynetwork.org/site/R?i...sB3No0Mkw1Vz8g..

You can also mail a check to:
    The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
    1225 Eye Street NW, Suite 1100
    Washington, DC 20005

If this e-mail was forwarded to you, click here to sign up for your own
    StoptheNRA alerts.
    http://www.bradynetwork.org/site/R?i...fwlZZnEYlghjNA..

Click here to update your e-mail preferences
    http://www.bradynetwork.org/site/CO?...Oy5l1&cid=1741