SC H.3964 needs YOUR help TODAY

This is a discussion on SC H.3964 needs YOUR help TODAY within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Everyone, I've been remiss in not posting this here sooner. Rep. Nathan Ballantine is planning to introduce an amendment to H. 3964 that would make ...

Thread: SC H.3964 needs YOUR help TODAY

Exclamation SC H.3964 needs YOUR help TODAY

Everyone, I've been remiss in not posting this here sooner.

Rep. Nathan Ballantine is planning to introduce an amendment to H. 3964 that would make a parent guilty of a felony if someone under the age of 18 takes a firearm to school. Please contact your rep. to ask him to oppose the Ballentine amendment and to support the unamended H. 3964.

The Judiciary committee added an amendment that will likely kill all SC reciprocity agreements (the mental health amendment). Without the amendments, the bill is a very good one. As amended, it is very bad.

As an aside, someone I know commented after watching yesterday's debate that he was sick and tired of hearing rep. after rep. stand up and say he had an "A" rating from the NRA, owned a bunch of guns, but was opposed to allowing people to carry in schools. Consistent with the NRA's position, no matter how anti-RKBA it is, apparently gets you an "A" rating.

Check out www.scfirearms.org, the website of Grassroots Gunrights of South Carolina, a true RKBA organization of which I am a member.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SCGuy View Post
    Everyone, I've been remiss in not posting this here sooner.

Rep. Nathan Ballantine is planning to introduce an amendment to H. 3964 that would make a parent guilty of a felony if someone under the age of 18 takes a firearm to school. Please contact your rep. to ask him to oppose the Ballentine amendment and to support the unamended H. 3964.

The Judiciary committee added an amendment that will likely kill all SC reciprocity agreements (the mental health amendment). Without the amendments, the bill is a very good one. As amended, it is very bad.

As an aside, someone I know commented after watching yesterday's debate that he was sick and tired of hearing rep. after rep. stand up and say he had an "A" rating from the NRA, owned a bunch of guns, but was opposed to allowing people to carry in schools. Consistent with the NRA's position, no matter how anti-RKBA it is, apparently gets you an "A" rating.

Check out www.scfirearms.org, the website of Grassroots Gunrights of South Carolina, a true RKBA organization of which I am a member.

From N Ballantine
    My amendment does two things (both in concert with the intentions of the bill you support)

1. Protects the rights of responsible gun owners
    2. Protects our children

The amendment makes it a MISDEMEANOR (similar to when a parent's child is not in school - truancy) and it is only if the gun is OWNED by the parent.

Hopefully, this clears up any confusion.

Nathan Ballentine
    www.nathanballentine.com
    House of Representatives, District 71
    Richland-Lexington Counties
    320A Blatt Building
    Columbia, SC 29221
    When outnumbered 2 to 1.
    Shoot twice!
    Gopher

I received the same response from Ballentine, and replied back to him on why I thought his amendment was unnecessary, unfair, and missed the mark. I suggested he offer it as a stand-alone bill if he truly thinks it to be a good thing, but pointed out if he's really wanting "safe storage", he ought to work to limit the times permit holders are forced to leave weapons unattended in cars and at home, by removing the prohibitions against carry in restaurants licensed to serve alcohol, publicly owned buildings, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SCGuy View Post
    ....but pointed out if he's really wanting "safe storage", he ought to work to limit the times permit holders are forced to leave weapons unattended in cars and at home, by removing the prohibitions against carry in restaurants licensed to serve alcohol, publicly owned buildings, etc.
    Excellent point! Wonder how that one will land on him.

Links