Posted at American Signature Furniture

This is a discussion on Posted at American Signature Furniture within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was in one of their stores last Thursday and noticed the signs, which included that they provided a 'safe and secure' environment. I asked ...

Thread: Posted at American Signature Furniture

Posted at American Signature Furniture

I was in one of their stores last Thursday and noticed the signs, which included that they provided a 'safe and secure' environment.

I asked one of their employees how they were making their environment safe since concealed weapons were not allowed and I did not see any armed security guards. I was told that this was a corporate policy. (She personally disagreed with it. Her daughter is LE.)

I emailed corporate on Friday and received this reply today:

"Thank you for taking the time to contact our corporate office in writing.

The concealed weapons policy has been put in place for all of our corporate stores and was implemented for the protection of our customers and our business. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

Thank you for your inquiry.

This is an automated email. Please do not reply to this message."

I cannot describe just how disgusted I am at this reply.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Screw'em...spend your money elsewhere.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

Buy from someone else, but first tell them what you think of their stupidity.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Greetings MC45...

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    I was in one of their stores last Thursday and noticed the signs, which included that they provided a 'safe and secure' environment.

I asked one of their employees how they were making their environment safe since concealed weapons were not allowed and I did not see any armed security guards. I was told that this was a corporate policy. (She personally disagreed with it. Her daughter is LE.)

The concealed weapons policy has been put in place for all of our corporate stores and was implemented for the protection of our customers and our business. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

This is the first sign I've heard of in FL...
    Hey, enjoyed lunch...

ret/Ken
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    This is the first sign I've heard of in FL...
    Hey, enjoyed lunch...

ret/Ken
    Actually, we were in Knoxville, TN (at the birth of our first grandchild-a girl-she is perfect, by the way, in case anyone is wondering

But, I emailed corporate and got the reply y'all read.
    I am trying to decide whether or not to even attempt to reason with them.

I enjoyed lunch as well, Ken and all the rest of the 'Gang that couldn't shoot straight.'
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post

Then send them another letter, this time on paper, addressed to the CEO. Ask him directly how putting that policy in place increases the safety and protection of his customers and business.

Ask him who's planning on protecting you, the other customers, and the employees if a criminal comes in to rob the place and ignores the sign he thinks is doing such a wonderful job of protecting everyone.

Senior Moderator
    Hey, it's Florida. The sign might make them feel better, but it means nothing.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Hey, it's Florida. The sign might make them feel better, but it means nothing.

Matt
    Exactly. There is no provision in the Florida Statutes for a 'no concealed carry' sign. My understanding is that if a business posts one, it carries no force of law and you can basically ignore it. However, if the proprietor or employees figure out that you're carrying and ask you to leave, you must do so immediately or risk being reported as an 'armed trespasser.'

So sayeth my CCW instructor anyway....

Brian

Then send them another letter, this time on paper, addressed to the CEO. Ask him directly how putting that policy in place increases the safety and protection of his customers and business.
    As a particularly pointed recent example, refer to the quote from the spokesperson of Virginia Tech (Larry Hincker), who is infamously known for his all's-well-in-fairie-land statement that "... the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus." This wondrously rosy view was expressed in response to the VA Legislature's refusal to pass HB 1572, which would have granted concealed-carry on campus.

Yeah, well. There's feeling safe, and then there's being safe. In Hincker's case, foot-in-mouth disease was his downfall. The risk of head-in-sand disease, however, can well be death in the face of zero preparedness and a "blue sky" attitude about security risks.

Frankly, the result of a lethal assault with a firearm in which only the good guys have been disarmed results in one thing: the bad guys having the run of the place. From the viewpoint of looking down the muzzle knowing you're disarmed and have nothing to say, that's about all ye need know. And that's the only practical ramification of such policies. Sure, negligent discharges will have been nearly eliminated, but at the cost of everyone's newfound inability to do anything more than goggle at the muzzle being pointed at their foreheads.

You want an explanation from the CEO? The CEO needs to explain the difference between feeling safer and actually being safer, specifically in terms of how "blue sky" signs and exhortations of "safety" actually result in any increase whatsoever in practical safety. The knowledge that the company's policy will safe us if lethally attacked is comforting, no? Not when the "minefield" has been cleared of all "mines" (ie, all upstanding people have all been disarmed, except for the bad guys who will continue to ignore such signage, laughing all the way to the bank).

Feeling safer? I'd much rather actually be safe, thank you very much.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links