Ignoring the trend, VA candidate comes out strongly anti-gun

This is a discussion on Ignoring the trend, VA candidate comes out strongly anti-gun within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Longtime Democrat Johnny Joannou is being challenged in the primary by Henry Light ( http://www.henrylight.com/ ), an attorney. I saw Mr. Light's TV ad last ...

Thread: Ignoring the trend, VA candidate comes out strongly anti-gun

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Longtime Democrat Johnny Joannou is being challenged in the primary by Henry Light ( http://www.henrylight.com/ ), an attorney. I saw Mr. Light's TV ad last night. Very scary. Lots of ominous music and visions relating to the VT massacre, highlighting Joannou's defeat of mental health records checks in 2004 (?).

Ends with, "It's about time for common sense gun laws in VA."

Anybody think he's got a chance in this urban gerrymandered district?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Well being up north in the 33rd I don't know much about the 79th. Incumbents typically have the edge unless they really screwed something up. Not sure how the ad went as I didn't find it on the site. There is one about how the incumbent voted against schools and medical aide though. Obviously he or his people believe the gun issue will help him or he is looking for a differentiator. I see Mark Warner endorsed him.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

VIP Member
    It's called pandering..........he is just using the killings at Va Tech to convince people he 'cares' & just wants whats best 'for the children'. Politicians are getting all wound up & telling which every group they are in front of what they want to hear.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    he is just using the killings at Va Tech to convince people he 'cares' & just wants whats best 'for the children'.
    Trouble is, the "cure" is worse than the problem. Save a couple thousand children per year, but everyone then gets to suffer a couple million violent assaults and crimes annually without the ability to defend against them, and we cement the governing body's ability to usurp every last right that's left. Discouraging though the childrens' lives may be, that's a bad, bad trade. It's a permanent trade that itself will cause deaths once criminals overrun every nook and cranny. Yes, that's short-sighted pandering at its worst.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Saw the ad - had nightmares (and I don't even live in VA).
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Let's just hope that he loses, and that it reinforces the lesson that being anti-gun is a very good way to find yourself NOT in politics!

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I can't believe that guy was a NAVY SEAL/Frogman/UDT guy.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I sent a note to VeriSEAL....to validate his claims of being UDT/SEAL

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Longtime Democrat Johnny Joannou is being challenged in the primary by Henry Light ( http://www.henrylight.com/ ), an attorney. I saw Mr. Light's TV ad last night. Very scary. Lots of ominous music and visions relating to the VT massacre, highlighting Joannou's defeat of mental health records checks in 2004 (?).

Ends with, "It's about time for common sense gun laws in VA."

Anybody think he's got a chance in this urban gerrymandered district?
    While I think that all states already have all the "common sense gun laws" they need, and then some, that quote doesn't sound like "strongly anti-gun" to me. He might well be strongly anti-gun, but that's not a quote that demonstrates it.

I just went to his site and watched his t.v. ad, but it's one about school funding, not gun control. Would have left a comment, but you have to register to do that, and I didn't wanna.

Man, it's one thing to advocate for children; it's quite another to whore them out in your commercial, giving them lines to say that they obviously wouldn't say if you hadn't put the words in their young, innocent mouths. Do the kids know how they're being used when politicians do that? Of course not. These politicians disgust me, even before I know where they stand on the issues.

Here's an email I got from the coaition to take all your guns away.

CSGV logo
    Home
    Take Action
    Make a Donation
    Issues & Campaigns
    Get Involved
    News
    Research
    New to the Issue?

June 11, 2007

ACTION ALERT Help Elect Henry Light to Keep Virginia Safe

There are only a few short days left before you go to the polls and make some important decisions about the future of safety in Virginia. The Coalition to Stop Gun Violence has endorsed Henry Light for Delegate in House District 79. Henry Light has been an outspoken champion of sensible gun laws in Virginia and we need your help to elect him.

Virginia needs strong, effective leaders like Henry Light who will work to stem the tide of illegal guns on our streets and keep our children safe from firearms. Henry Light has pledged to close the gun show loophole in Virginia by requiring background checks on gun purchasers at gun shows. Henry Light has courageously stood up to the special interest gun lobby -- now we need to stand up for him!

Here's how you can help:

1. Vote for Henry Light on June 12. You can confirm your Virginia voter registration here.

2. Learn how you can volunteer in the last push before the primary!

3. Forward this e-mail to friends and family and tell them a vote for Henry Light is a vote for a safer Virginia.

Thank you for your continued support.

Paid for by the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence and not authorized by any candidate.

© Copyright CSGV. All Rights Reserved.

I sure hope he doesn't get elected...Guys like this need to go crawl back under the rock from which they came.
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

Well, Mr. Light went down with a surprising 42% of the vote.

VCDL's candidate went down with 16%, not surprising since he was running against an incumbent, "the fireman's friend."

When I voted at 6:30 p.m., I was only the third voter to vote in that Republican primary, as there was a hotly contested Clerk of Court race on the Democratic side (Franklin). Too bad Third Party voters can't vote in both!

Mr. Light is now the looser, according to WAVY News. I guess it wasn't very bright of Mr. Light to be such a bliss-ninny. Probably he is sitting at home saying 'Watt happened, why did I get so few volts'?
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Links