Defensive Carry banner

50 Caliber Rifle Question

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  the-fly 
#1 ·
In Maine one of our gadfly State Senators has introduced a bill banning these weapons.

Senator Strimling was on the radio this morning hawking his new and improved plan to relieve us if our evil "assault guns'. Part of the plan involved also taking 50 caliber long range target rifles.

When challenged as to the 'why' of such a ban, he noted two cases, per the press, where such guns had been used in crimes and mentioned in passing another dozen or so occurences.

Those of us at the station, all well versed on such things, were amazed.

I have spent MANY hour looking for even one example of a 35lb multi thousand dollar 50 caliber rifle ever being used in a crime and cannot come up with any. I have hunted the FBI, Dept of Justice, and old ATF sites withour success.

I believe there has never been such a weapon actually used in a crime in the USA. I do know the difference between a news report and the real events.

Does anyone have any data on this.

See less See more
#2 ·
Jim - welcome :smile:

I wish I did have data - sadly not. So much with .50's is unmitigated hype and the peons swallow it up with alacrity. It is getting (has gotten) old - really old.

If the media showed just some semblance of balance, instead of constantly promoting the anti's agenda I might feel less p'd off - but no - every time an anti wants a free ride, they get it - further polluting the peon mindset - which of course follows thru right up to senatorial level.

LIke, a ban on .50's is gonna ''reduce crime'' - what a load of hogwash. :rolleyes:

#3 ·
No, I've never heard of a crime with a .50 calibre, as you describe it.

Let's just hope that the media doesn't find out that tens of thousands of deer hunters use a .50 calibre rifle every year on whitetail. They would be horrified to learn that thousands of these rifles are sold at reputable sporting goods stores every season.

I usually work sharpening knives with about six of these .50 calibre rifles behind me on the rack.

I'm sure many of you just said, "Oh, Chico, that's silly! Those are blackpowder .50 calibre rifles."

Silly? Look at what the media can do with minor information. There was a story reporting that California was seeking to ban the new .500 Mag SW revolver. The reason was that they were afraid a .50 calibre weapon might fall into the hands of gang-bangers.

To the media there is only one .50 calibre weapon. A bad one.

#4 ·
That is one thing we do not have to worry about as they exempt antique arms including replicas.

I remember the Seige at Waco when the press all reported multiple times that the Davidians had one of the evil rifles. When the smoke cleared and all the bodies were removed, no such weapon was found.

I suspect my good state senator is using similiar press reports but it is very hard to argue if one is not absolutely sure of the real facts.

I am hoping for a link to a government site with the data. I cannot find it on the sites I know.

#5 ·
It's a perfect example of the irrational hysteria and ignorance that fuels the anti-rights movement.

I think the reason things like this are so successful is because even people who might own a gun or three, such as myself, could never conceive of owning something chambered for .50 because it's just too gosh darn expensive and impractical.

To be honest this is one of those things I look at and say "Fascinating, but I'll pass." Same for these .500 caliber revolvers.

But just because it's something you'd never want to have doesn't mean you have any right to tell someone else they can't have something they're willing and able to pay for. That's just arrogance and fascist elitism.

#6 ·
I think it's ignorance--not in the sense that these people are stupid--but in the sense that they do not know the facts.

For example, ask then their opinion on a "semi-automatic rifle." Listen to the canned speech. Then hand them an older style Browning BAR, with rich wood and a deep blue finish. Usually the comment is, "This is a sport rifle, that's a diffent issue." Then tell them it's semi-automatic.

Diane Feinstein was on '60 Minutes' and was handed a Colt Sporter, She identified it as "one of the weapons banned." She was stunned to find out it was a rifle made following her mandates.

For me, it's a one on one dealie. For someone that knows nothing about guns I take them to a gravel pit--by ourselves only--with a simple Ruger 22/45, a box of Walmart copper-splashed ammo and a few pop cans.

The usual response is "When can we go again?"

I've come to the conclusion that many anti-gunners imagine a world of 'Hollywood guns.' You know, a Dirty Harry revolver that takes a bad guy and flings him across a room. Heck, I'd be afraid of that.

#7 ·
Part of the reason bulls**t bills get passed is because of apathy from the very community it affects the most. Many times, freedoms that are taken for granted never seem to be that big of deal until they are lost! Everyone needs to do their part!

#8 ·
The few references I can find to the issue seem to be very conflicting. The press covers the airwaves with reports of a .50 Cal, like they did in the Bulldozer tank in Granby Colorado, but these seem to be followed up by other reports, much more quiet, that the police did not actually produce such a weapon after the event.

Did Marvin Heemeyer actually have a .50 or was this all media hype?

I cannot find a definitive answer.

#9 ·
jim verdolini said:
The few references I can find to the issue seem to be very conflicting. The press covers the airwaves with reports of a .50 Cal, like they did in the Bulldozer tank in Granby Colorado, but these seem to be followed up by other reports, much more quiet, that the police did not actually produce such a weapon after the event.

Did Marvin Heemeyer actually have a .50 or was this all media hype?
I cannot find a definitive answer.
It seems many of the rumors about .50 cal rifles and such was more lies and media hype than the truth! Read on....

Grand County Emergency Management Director Jim Halihan knowingly and deliberately lied to press and news media that Heemeyer had a .50 caliber machine gun and was supposedly shooting at everybody in town. The Denver Post newspaper, channel 7 KUSA and channel 9 KMGH reported this as fact. Only CBS affiliate KCNC channel 4 refrained from broadcasting the lie, and eventually confirmed that Heemeyer did NOT have a .50 caliber machine gun, which they made clear in their broadcast.

While most news media has reported that some unidentified witnesses said that Heemeyer was firing shots form his homemade tank, a D9 Caterpillar bulldozer covered in armor plating and concrete, other witnesses who were less than 100 feet from the 53 ton vehicle say that Heemeyer never fired a shot, that only police and sheriff’s deputies were firing.

Certain facts remain indisputable: No weapons or guns have been produced, least of all any kind of a .50 caliber weapon, and no one was hurt or injured during the 2 to 3 hour melee, save for Marvin Heemeyer, who was found dead inside of the cab of the vehicle at 2:00 AM Saturday morning, after SWAT and sheriff’s deputies spent an hour using a cutting torch and 3 separate blasts with military high explosives, to gain entry through the top of the make-shift tank.

Grand County Sheriff’s Office released a statement claiming that Heemeyer shot himself in the head with a pistol, and that the pistol was found on the floor of the bulldozer. Heemeyer’s body wasn’t removed until several hours later, because cops said that they feared Heemeyer may have booby trapped himself. There were also claims that Heemeyer had at least 2 rifles mounted up inside the cab of his make-shift tank, aimed out small port holes, however, one local fireman who assisted in extricating Heemeyer’s body from the vehicle, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said that there were no weapons inside of the cab, and that he had been present for several hours and never saw any weapons removed.

#11 ·
Okay Okay.....doggonit I demand that they ban gasoline....I know for a fact that several arson cases showed evidence the perpetrators ignited the blaze with gasoline!!!! Gasoline is evil and in the wrong hands can kill....owning gasoline is not a "right" protected by the Constitution, so don't anyone give me any crap....I'm gonna call my congressman, there oughtta be a law!! :trytofly:

#14 ·
Welcome Monty :smile:

''Hoot to shoot''? I'd say a ''blast''!! Stand well to rear and not to side - it is easier on the body as the shock wave washes over!. :biggrin:

#15 ·
P95Carry said:
Welcome Monty :smile:

''Hoot to shoot''? I'd say a ''blast''!! Stand well to rear and not to side - it is easier on the body as the shock wave washes over!. :biggrin:
Thanks!

The two biggest suprises with that rifle, how little recoil it really has and how incredible that shock wave is from the muzzle break. Even from 30ft behind it will rattle your teeth.

Monty

#16 ·
jim verdolini said:
Thanks...my topic got moved, probably wisely, but it took some time to find it again...
Yeah, I moved it from the "Forum News, Feedback, Problems & Comments" forum to the appropriate forum here. You can use the "New Posts" link in the blue bar above to find new posts that have been posted since your last visit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.