Defensive Carry banner

PUT DOWN YOUR COFFEE...Chicago Mayor Daley outraged by lack of gun laws

2K views 27 replies 24 participants last post by  scott4957 
#1 ·
http://www.nbc5.com/politics/13459021/detail.html?rss=chi&psp=news

Mayor Outraged By Lack Of Gun Laws
Daley Rants About Politicians Skirting Issue

CHICAGO -- An outraged Mayor Richard M. Daley on Wednesday unleashed a tirade about gun control, prompted by the 500 shootings of Chicago children so far this year.

Two more Chicago teens were killed this week.

"It's an outrage," Daley said. "Now remember, the national debate of politicians is all about Iraq, not about guns; not about violence in America. You're always overseas. Why don't we just get back and say, 'Well, why don't we just make this a better country, a safer country of 30,000 people?' Can you see 30,000 people getting killed in Iraq? And they want to impeach George Bush because of Iraq? How about looking at all your politicians who are not supporting common sense gun laws?"

Last month the city reported the shocking statistic that an average of one Chicago public school student is murdered every 10 days, usually with a gun.

See less See more
#3 ·
It's amazing that a man with a brain that utterly dysfunctional does not simply go *urk* and die.

:mad:

I'm certain, without looking up stats, that a number of people are stabbed to death and beaten to death in Chicago each year. Why isn't Daley upset about this? Where is his call for knife control, and a law against curling your hand into a fist?

#4 ·
It's amazing that a man with a brain that utterly dysfunctional does not simply go *urk* and die.
I'm sorry, I realize that this is a serious subject but that just made me laugh out loud because it is so very true.

which number is more true...500 this year so far, or one every 10 days? one every 10 days = ~35 per year. 500 so far = ~1000 per year.
odd numbers there and as always I don't believe them unless I know where they came from.

ETA: Ahh I see... 500 is "shootings" and 1 every 10 days is "murders" ... conclusion Chicago is far too dangerous...we should ban the city

#5 ·
Why would I need to put down my coffee? Daley is a statist pure and simple. The only thing that surprise would be to hear that Daley was supporting lifting Chicago's gun ban and supporting concealed carry for Illinois. Now then I would have to put my coffee down. :22a:

#7 ·
Ah my home town; Chicago Illinois, the state of FOID cards.

Firearm Owners Identification Card - you must have one, by law, to own a firearm. I wonder how many of those shootings were done by people with an FOID card? What? Very, very few? How can that be? It's the law! :rolleyes:

#9 ·
Just when you think Hizzoner exhausted his repertoire of asinine statements, this comes along.............:frown:

#10 ·
This is not a gun or gun law problem...it's a community problem.

Daley needs to spend less time grandstanding for applause during speaking engagements and to get his offices working on the obvious which is getting hold of his cities urban youth at the youngest of ages to provide them with means and avenues toward escaping from that place of darkness and to them hopeless blight.
If they didn't have guns they would use knives, clubs, shod feet, chains, and fists in gangs of 3 or more.

The city is already a gun free zone so what's the problem Daley?
As noted by OldMick it it very unlikely any of the shooters were FOID holders.
Education, mental health support, vast improvement of their school system along with support of teachers who when it comes to children are themselves 'first responders' and canaries toward future community citizen results.

More in the way of excuses and responsibility shirking from a career politician.

- Janq

#12 ·
This is not a gun or gun law problem...it's a community problem.

Daley needs to spend less time grandstanding for applause during speaking engagements and to get his offices working on the obvious which is getting hold of his cities urban youth at the youngest of ages to provide them with means and avenues toward escaping from that place of darkness and to them hopeless blight....

...As noted by OldMick it it very unlikely any of the shooters were FOID holders. Education, mental health support, vast improvement of their school system along with support of teachers who when it comes to children are themselves 'first responders' and canaries toward future community citizen results....

- Janq

Well said! :hand10:

#15 ·
The problem is it's not just criminals shooting criminals, as innocents are being caught in the middle if not drawn in to same as well.

Also as means of survival in their jungle often times you are forced to join a gang/group of some sort in order to be able to leave your own home and walk to school or the bus stop. Additionally just being born into a given family circle with associative friends or by happenstance through no choice of the child having to live in a given area, apt. complex, or even block can with little choice else wise pretty much require one to be 'down for' a given group. Not to choose so can in a real way be a fatal decision.

The mayors office is ultimately responsible, in my mind and in my community, for regulation and management of ones town or city. Within that comes public safety, community support, support of schools & education, support of employment & citizen opportunity development, and overall overseeing the life & living of all community members not just those who may have voted for him or even have ability to vote, which children and criminals do not.

It's pretty easy to stand up on a stage and crow about how guns are the at fault. Guns killed our citizens. Guns shot your childs best friend from the block or schoolmate from homeroom.
The fact is guns are not the problem. It's the hand attached to that gun and the mindset that controls both. Why are these hands not holding a pencil, book, PC mouse, job application, or a ballot to vote in someone other than the proven by results to be ineffective Daley out of office?
Instead the hands of Daley's constituents are holding guns, knives, each others blood, shovels on funeral days, and mothers are holding their own hands clasped in prior wishing their children safe travel be it to school, around the block to a friends home, or into the arms of that of their own individual belief after breathing their last breath.

Something more needs to be done by Daley other than writing speeches and placing blame on laws not being stiff enough.
If laws against guns were the answer then Chicago, Baltimore, New Orleans, DC, NYC, MD, CA, and NJ amongst others would have much lower criminal victimization rates than they do.

How can this be Mayor Daley?
Chicago is a 'gun free zone'.
Why aren't your citizens safe there and why aren't your children studying books rather than shooting bullets or ducking them?
What have you been doing and what have you done, Mayor Daley?

Personally I'm getting sick and tired of hearing these crap excuses and passing of the buck by these people.

- Janq

P.S. - Imagine the amount of Illinois specific and national tax revenue lost over the lifetime of each person under 18 killed due to crime...if only they had been given a n opportunity and some direction toward possibility and opportunity to escape.

#14 ·
Lack of gun laws??? Heck he has his head stuck in a dark place.

There are so many darned gun laws - what is needed is implementation as well as realizing that the gang/drug situation is almost beyond policing in a big city. Plus it will be just those groups who have and will get guns, totally regardless of any laws.

As ever it is the honest Joe who suffers, being potentially impotent regarding means of protection. I am not sure at all what the answer is to solving the murders by low lifes but it sure ain't more gun laws!

#16 ·
This guy is so far out there it's sickening. This is the same guy who destroyed Meigs Field (and airport on the outskirts) literally in the middle of the night after the FAA told him he couldn't. He sent in bulldozers to destroy the runway without warning, stranding I don't remember how many privately owned aircraft that were legally operated out of there.

This man cares nothing for your rights or the laws.

#17 ·
Wish there was a way to hold these people accountable - as apart from votes, there seems little else to control their seeming megalomania :frown:

They seem to want excercize authority way beyond their legitimate brief ........ and yet nothing much seems to stand in their way.

#18 ·
You got that right. The FAA found that he acted WAY illegally and fined the city a whole bunch of money (1.5mil? 3.1 mil?, can't remember). So he gets what he wants, and the taxpayers get fined. Fantastic!

#19 ·
I am astonished at some of the people who get elected in this country. You already made handguns illegal in Chicago, how much more control do you want?

Also while many of the victims are probably under 18, there is a difference in law abiding young children, and those who are actively engaged in crime. Gangs are a survival mechanism in the inner city, I understand that. Some of those who were shot could have been innocents. But the majority of them were probably not.

#21 ·
What they need in Chi town is CRIME CONTROL, and they should probably start by locking the bad guys up for a long time. They should also start at the top (read corrupt officials) and work their way down. JMO

#24 ·
prompted by the 500 shootings of Chicago children so far this year
I'm sorry, isn't shooting children already illegal? What makes the ego man think that making more guns illegal is going to stop someone...does he think their brain process goes- "Crud, now I'm going to be committing two crimes. I guess I better not shoot that person after all. I might go to jail." Oh, that's right, even the criminal's brain doesn't work like that, just the politician's.

#27 ·
Just another reason to stay as far away from IL as possible...let 'em shoot everyone up...let God sort 'em out?

You get what you vote for, and then some...

ret:hand10:

#28 ·
I lived an grew up in IL/WI my whole life, I didn't even know what a handgun looked like until I moved to OK! Anyways, I was amazed at how simple the process was to buy a gun, and how open most people are to guns here in OK. Its a nice change, now both me and my wife will be carrying soon. The job I got out here in OK was supposed to be a short term thing till we could get back to IL or WI, but......I have family in FL as well, and you can carry there LOL.

Don't worry, 40 states can't be wrong, one day you'll be able to carry everywere, but there will always be the uneducated that will hate you for it. The root of the problem IMO is the far left media, they have a hand in controlling the vote and the veiw on guns, which inturn results in jerkoffs like Daley in power. BTW im an air traffic controller, the sh*t he pulled with Meigs is over the top. He should have been forced out after that!

Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.