Kansas’s junior Representative weighs in on Gun Control

This is a discussion on Kansas’s junior Representative weighs in on Gun Control within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is what Kansas’s newest Representative has to say about gun control. She beat out the incumbent Republican who ran one of the worst races ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kansas’s junior Representative weighs in on Gun Control

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!

Kansas’s junior Representative weighs in on Gun Control

This is what Kansas’s newest Representative has to say about gun control. She beat out the incumbent Republican who ran one of the worst races of his life, and is the darling of the local press. I hope she keeps her word.

June 1, 2007

Dear Mr. XXXX, (Name changed to protect the innocent)

Thank you for contacting me about the issue of gun ownership and the importance of the Second Amendment. Please accept my apologies for the delay in this response. My office receives literally thousands of pieces of correspondence a week, and my staff and I are making every effort to streamline an efficient mailing system.

As your representative in Washington, D.C., I approach all gun-related bills with a goal of protecting the right of Kansans to own guns for shooting, hunting, and self-protection. I'm also working to educate my colleagues from urban districts about the integral role of guns in rural life. The Second District of Kansas includes some of the best deer and turkey hunting lands in the state as well as hundreds of family farmers who protect their crops and livestock against vermin. I am dedicated to preserving this way of life and the essential role that guns play in it.

The awful shootings at Virginia Tech have caused many people to call for new tougher gun control laws. I believe that tragedies like these are preventable, but I believe the path to doing so is through better mental health care, not tougher gun control. I will not join in with those who rush to pass new gun control laws whenever a person uses a gun to grab headlines. We have sufficient laws on the books; we need to enforce them.

As I evaluate gun-related issues in the 110th Congress, I have tried to keep honest, gun-owning Kansans in the forefront of my mind. I want you to know about the following actions that I have taken:

Opposing the Reinstatement of an Assault Weapons Ban

In 1994, Congress passed a law banning the sale of certain semi-automatic guns. That ban expired in 2004. Rep. Carolyn McCarthy introduced H.R. 1022, the Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007, to reinstate the ban while slightly modifying the definition of "assault weapon."

I oppose H.R. 1022 and will not vote for it. Federal statistics show little effect from the first ban, and there is no reason to believe it will work any better the second time around.

Supporting the Repeal of Excessive Gun Control Laws in D.C.

Washington, DC has some of the most restrictive gun control laws in the country. Since 1976, District residents have been banned from owning new handguns, and they can not keep loaded guns in their house. Carrying an unloaded gun from room to room in their house violates the ban on "transporting" weapons. All this in a city with one of the highest violent crime rates in the country.

The courts have begun to strike down some of these laws, but we should not wait for the courts to step in. I am a co-sponor of H.R. 1399, the District of Columbia Personal Protection Act. H.R 1399 would (1) permit law-abiding citizens to possess handguns and rifles in their homes and businesses; (2) repeal the registration requirement for firearms and ammunition; and (3) repeals the ban on semiautomatic weapons. This is common sense legislation that has passed the House twice, and I will vote to pass it again.

Supporting the Expansion of Lands Available to the Public Hunters

Since 1995, Kansas has opened over 1 million acres of private land to public hunting through its WIHA (Walk In Hunting Access) program. Preserving access to hunting lands is just as important to preserving access to hunting weapons - we need to have more programs like these. I am a co-sponsor of H.R. 2473, a bill to provide $20 million in grants to states to expand conservation and public hunting-access programs. I will work to get this program enacted, either as part of the Farm Bill or as a separate program.

Thank you again for writing me. I will keep your concerns in mind as further issues arise, but please do not hesitate to contact me. I appreciate your input, and I look forward to hearing from you again in the future on matters of importance to you.

Sincerely,

Nancy Boyda
    Member of Congress
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Seems you have a good one!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I like a politician who actually answers a question...she didn't seem to beat around the bush...good luck with her...the proof will be in her future votes? What did the NRA say about her prior to her election?

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Not only did she not beat around the bush but she specifically and correctly stated instances and reasoning as to why firearms might be not only possessed by lawfully and necessarily used by her constituents.
    That is an example of a person who is of and amongst those they represent, not just from, and who understands the real world that those constituents live in.

Very rare.

- Janq

"I'm also working to educate my colleagues from urban districts about the integral role of guns in rural life. The Second District of Kansas includes some of the best deer and turkey hunting lands in the state as well as hundreds of family farmers who protect their crops and livestock against vermin. I am dedicated to preserving this way of life and the essential role that guns play in it." - Nancy Boyda, Representative (KA)
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Lead Moderator
    Do you think she'd go over and talk to the Maryland members for us?
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Great letter! Maybe with some work Kansas will give reciprocity to Utah permit holders soon. I have many friends in Kansas and would like to be able to carry while visiting them or driving through the state.
    Semper Paratus (Always Ready)

Wow!!!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Sounds like those of you in the Second District of Kansas have a "keeper!"

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Having a representative like that, who tells it straight and sees the truth, is like a dream! OMG you are lucky!

Assistant Administrator
    We have sufficient laws on the books; we need to enforce them.
    Wish the Daley, Bloomberg brigade and Brady Bunch would see that sorta sense
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

She got positive press in Texas too! It's amazing - she is pretty conservative - but represents the district that includes Lawrence, KS and Johnson County too IIRC.

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    She got positive press in Texas too! It's amazing - she is pretty conservative - but represents the district that includes Lawrence, KS and Johnson County too IIRC.
    Yes but the rest of the area she represents is still debating those radical ideas that Darwin was promoting.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Looks like I might try doing some pro-bono work for her while I'm in Topeka.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Wow!!! she sounds like a good one...
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Now IF she ran for President, there's a woman I'd vote for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links