No guns on campus, even for police

This is a discussion on No guns on campus, even for police within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; According to a post over at The Volokh Conspiracy , the City College of San Francisco refuses to let college police officers carry firearms. The ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No guns on campus, even for police

No guns on campus, even for police

According to a post over at The Volokh Conspiracy, the City College of San Francisco refuses to let college police officers carry firearms.

The police chief at City College of San Francisco has resigned over a question of security. He wanted his officers to be able to carry guns on campus, especially in light of a recent incident, but he was overruled.

In late April, 52-year-old Peter Lee rushed into a classroom in the science building, dressed in camouflage. Students say he threatened to kill everyone. But campus police had to wait until S.F.P.D. arrived before they could respond. That's because campus cops don't carry guns -- only pepper spray and batons.

Fortunately, Lee was not armed either and they arrested him without incident....

Carl Koehler, CCSF Police Chief: "In this day and age, there are guns on campus, but the police don't have them." ... [Koehler] was fighting a 70-year-old college policy prohibiting its officers from carrying guns.
    Doesn't this make you feel safe?

2. Remove Ads

1943 - 2009
    That's because campus cops don't carry guns -- only pepper spray and batons.
    And flowers in their hair.............

Hey, it's San Francisco, what more need be said?

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Looks like Grossman's essay on fits this situation well.

Here is an excerpt:

"Let me expand on this old soldier's excellent model of the sheep, wolves, and sheepdogs. We know that the sheep live in denial, which is what makes them sheep. They do not want to believe that there is evil in the world. They can accept the fact that fires can happen, which is why they want fire extinguishers, fire sprinklers, fire alarms and fire exits throughout their kids' schools.

But many of them are outraged at the idea of putting an armed police officer in their kid's school. Our children are thousands of times more likely to be killed or seriously injured by school violence than fire, but the sheep's only response to the possibility of violence is denial. The idea of someone coming to kill or harm their child is just too hard, and so they chose the path of denial."
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

VIP Member
    A society where even police officers don't have guns. Oh, yeah. That was UK, wasn't it? Where a sword wielding civilian had to save 4 officers? EGADS MAN!
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Until four years ago, the campus police at my University weren't allowed to carry firearms.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Can we sell California back to Mexico for oil?

"[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

dakota taht is truely funny!!!!. im not sure mexico would take it though!....lmao

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by palmgopher View Post
    dakota taht is truely funny!!!!. im not sure mexico would take it though!....lmao
    Yeah, but I'm halfway serious-well a quarter anyway, we could sell it back to Mexico then build a wall and they get to keep all the movie stars (with the exception of Tom Selleck) and we take care of a good portion of the illegal alien problem and the liberalism and Nancy Pelosi all at once.

then we could sell New York to Canada for some beads. Then we wouldn't have to worry about HR 1022 and Joe Stalin in drag running for President.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger View Post
    Yeah, but I'm halfway serious-well a quarter anyway, we could sell it back to Mexico then build a wall and they get to keep all the movie stars (with the exception of Tom Selleck) and we take care of a good portion of the illegal alien problem and the liberalism and Nancy Pelosi all at once.

then we could sell New York to Canada for some beads. Then we wouldn't have to worry about HR 1022 and Joe Stalin in drag running for President.
    for some reason i doubt that Tom Selleck spends much time in Hollywood anyway.

... the City College of San Francisco refuses to let college police officers carry firearms.
    The wish to be PC ... even if it kills them. Sad, sorry state of affairs. In such cases, "PC" ends up meaning something entirely different: pretty callous.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

This is why AZ just enacted a law allowing sworn peace officers to carry...anywhere but prisons, and when they are suspended.
    38-1102. Carrying of firearms by peace officers; exceptions; definitions

A. This state, a county, a city or town or any other political subdivision of this state shall not prohibit a peace officer from carrying a firearm if the peace officer is in compliance with the firearm requirements prescribed by the Arizona Peace Officer Standards and Training board.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

SF Campus Cops Can't Carry Guns...

there is no good holster for their 'chaps'...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ok enough of the california jokes..:P

As a resident of the great state of Kalifornia (thankyou governator) I propose selling only the southern half (right up to sacramento) back to them. Us northerners/ruralites like our guns.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

However, psychos and rapists will still be armed.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The wish to be PC ... even if it kills them. Sad, sorry state of affairs. In such cases, "PC" ends up meaning something entirely different: pretty callous.
    I beg to differ, sir. They wish to be PC... even if it kills someone else.

The sheep making this decision won't be the ones killed if, God forbid, there is an incident there. It'll be a student, or one of the unarmed police.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links