New Jersey moving to 1 a month law - Page 2

New Jersey moving to 1 a month law

This is a discussion on New Jersey moving to 1 a month law within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here in Maryland, you can submit a notarized statement to the State Police claiming your a collector, then they send you a letter saying your ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Here in Maryland, you can submit a notarized statement to the State Police claiming your a collector, then they send you a letter saying your a bonafide collector, and your exempt from the 30 limit. Some of the gun shops will even give you the statement, and notarize and mail it for you. It only cost the stamp. (This is not a Federal thing, it's just a state thing. It does nothing to help with the 8 day wait or anything, it only gets you around the 1 a month rule.)

I agree that the one a month law sucks, that's it's stupid, and that it will not effect crime rates at all. I'm just saying it's not the end of the world. This is assuming that NJ allows for collecting.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter4884 View Post
    As someone who was and is very proud of the fact that I initially came from NJ I take offense at what you're saying. You say that people have the choice to move whenever they want, and while that's true, there are many people who have strong roots in NJ (I have them, to this day, and I'll always have them.) Most of the people who are in NJ work very hard to stay get and stay ahead. And there are more gun owners in NJ then the politicians would have you believe. Don't they deserve our support?

Besides which, if we let the battles like the one in NJ go because it doesn't affect us personally, then ultimately, we'll all lose. Stand together, or fall individually. I know where I stand.

Sorry, I'm not trying to offend, but the whole, oh well, they chose it for themselves attitude drives me nuts.
    I'm sorry, but they did choose it for themselves. They elected anti-gun politicians. This is a (representative) democracy, remember? Therefore, we're responsible for our government. You say they work hard; well they aren't working too hard for their RKBA, now are they? Do they deserve my support? Hell no. If they want support, they can move somewhere where people agree with them. There are more gun owners than the politicians would have me believe? I doubt that; politicians don't get elected by a minority of voters, after all. Someone's voting for the anti-gun politicians, and it's probably not the gun owners.

If you don't like your neighbors, move away. It's that simple. "Roots"? What are those? As someone who's lived in many different states, I can't relate. If family members don't want me moving away, maybe they should think about moving as well. I've been through that with one parent. I'm not going to live in some dump just because some relatives can't imagine not living in the same place their whole life, and for some weird reason think I should live nearby. I'd rather live someplace where I'm happy.

Complaining about the anti-gun laws in NJ is like complaining about all the Mormons in Utah and their effect on the politics there, or all the liberals in San Francisco. There's a lot more of them in that place than there are you, so you might as well go someplace where your attitudes are similar to the other inhabitants'.

As for standing together, what about standing together with other countries where guns are banned, like the UK? Why don't we all go over there to make them change their laws? Oh yeah, it's because we're not citizens there, and it's none of our business. I wouldn't appreciate a bunch of anti-gun UK citizens flying over here and holding demonstrations against gun ownership, just like I wouldn't appreciate a bunch of NJ citizens flying here to Phoenix to demonstrate against our permissive gun laws here.

Just like I'm not too concerned with the anti-gun silliness going on in UK (did you hear they're thinking of banning knives now?), since I have no plans to move there, and I'm not too concerned with the anti-non-Muslim silliness going on in the Middle East (you know insulting Islam can get you executed there?) since there's no way in hell I'd ever move there, I'm also not too concerned with oppressive laws in the tiny little state of NJ since I'll never live there. Besides, I took a bus through Newark once on the way to the airport, and I don't think I'm missing anything.

Interestingly enough, neither you nor your fellow ex-NJ poster even live in NJ any more! So much for "roots". I used to live in VA at one time, but I don't send letters to the politicians there anymore, since I'm not a constituent.

Efforts to support gun ownership and fight against anti-gun laws are best used in places where it'll do the most good, not in places where it's a lost cause. 94% of the states in the US are better candidates for strengthening the pro-gun position, and it's working in places like Florida, which pioneered the CCL and Castle Doctrine, while NJ hasn't budged at all. "United we stand"... bah. United with who? Pick your allies carefully, and let others fend for themselves.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Main difference is that they are under the Constitution just as we are, while I can agree that they could leave (and probably should in most cases) that is not the point. If you take away or limit the rights of the "lesser" of us, how long until you or I am next?

Most times you do not win or loose a war in one huge battle. It takes the outcomes of many many small ones (such as DC or NJ) to decide such things.

Sure such things are not happening in your backyard yet but how long until it does, especially since there is already strong precident in places where you do not live (and apparently do not care about)

Do not fool yourself, what happens in DC or NJ or even North Dakota will affect all of us at some point. Just a matter of when.

You personally do not have to give any support, just don't rag on those of us that do.

(and for the record I have no connection at all with anybody or thing in NJ. I am a southern boy. :)
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsbane View Post
    Main difference is that they are under the Constitution just as we are, while I can agree that they could leave (and probably should in most cases) that is not the point. If you take away or limit the rights of the "lesser" of us, how long until you or I am next?
    I'm not saying anyone is "lesser", just that the people there have pretty overwhelmingly shown their opinion on the issue. Personally, I'd really like it if we could just set up a governmental system where they can live the way they want (in an unarmed "utopia"), while I can live the way I want (where we still follow the 2A).

Most times you do not win or loose a war in one huge battle. It takes the outcomes of many many small ones (such as DC or NJ) to decide such things.
    True, which is why in war, sometimes sacrifices are made. If your toe has gangrene, it's time to cut it off in order to keep it from spreading and to save the rest of your body.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links