New Jersey moving to 1 a month law

This is a discussion on New Jersey moving to 1 a month law within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Gun rationing is being considered...... TRENTON, N.J. (AP) - June 11, 2007 - New Jersey moved closer on Monday to becoming the fourth state to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Jersey moving to 1 a month law

Gun rationing is being considered......

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) - June 11, 2007 - New Jersey moved closer on Monday to becoming the fourth state to prohibit people from buying more than one handgun a month when the Assembly voted 51-25 to impose the proposed limit.

Assemblywoman Joan Quigley, a bill sponsor, represents Jersey City, which last year adopted its own law making it illegal to buy more than one handgun per month. That measure was struck down by a judge who ruled the local law pre-empted state authority.
    "I personally can see no reason why anyone would want to go out and buy guns in multiples," said Quigley, D-Hudson.

The Senate has not considered the bill, but if the measure is approved, New Jersey would join Virginia, Maryland and California as states that restrict people to buying one handgun per month. California was the last state to adopt such a law, doing so in 1998, according to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.

The bill is opposed by gun rights groups.

"Rationing firearms to responsible citizens to reduce gun crime makes about as much sense as rationing knives to restaurant-goers to reduce stabbings," said Scott L. Bach, president of the New Jersey Association of Rifle and Pistol Clubs - the National Rifle Association's state organization.

The proposal comes with New Jersey increasingly concerned about gun crimes, particularly from street gangs.

But you have to admit that limiting gun purchases to one a month will keep the BG's from having so many guns...Yeah...Right!

Another dumb law from a group of highly paid idiots...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Assemblywoman Joan Quigley, a bill sponsor, represents Jersey City, which last year adopted its own law making it illegal to buy more than one handgun per month. That measure was struck down by a judge who ruled the local law pre-empted state authority.
    "I personally can see no reason why anyone would want to go out and buy guns in multiples," said Quigley, D-Hudson.
    Well, does she even see a reason anyone would want to buy a firearm? Probably not. Wonder if she has ever gone to the store to buy laundry detergent, and they had such a good deal, she bought two instead of one?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Assistant Administrator
    Yep - this will REALLY hurt the BG's - no doubt about it. Bet they are bemoaning this as we write.

Oh well ........ guess it make some folks feel good.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Man...

I'm glad that I got out of NJ when I did. It's only getting worse. And to think, in NJ, you already have to have THREE, yes 3, background checks before you can purchase a handgun!!

You need to have an FID card.
    A Pistol Purchasing Permit.
    and then the NICS instant check!

It's great....and there is a built in 3 month waiting period from when you apply for the pistol permit and when it shows up...

yeah... wonderful. ugh.
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Let's limit golf clubs to one per month - I personally can see no reason why anyone would want to go out and buy clubs in multiples.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

If this passes I fully expect all our New Jersey members to rise to the challenge and make sure they buy a handgun every month.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    If this passes I fully expect all our New Jersey members to rise to the challenge and make sure they buy a handgun every month.
    my first thoughts as well!!!

JT
    One gun a month law? Does that mean you would be required to buy a gun every month? That would strain the budget, but I would do my best to comply.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Senior Moderator
    Okay, wait a second.. he said he'd see NO reason why anyone would want to buy multiple guns.

Excuse me, my brother is in the Navy and stationed in Naples, Italy. He saves up all stinken year so that he can come home on leave and buy as many guns as he can get his hands on. I've seen him buy more than seven guns in ONE DAY!!!

He's not buying them to supply. He puts careful consideration into what he wants, he saves, he plans, he makes phone calls, he locates what he wants, he anticipates, he darn near drools for his moment to get out there and spend his money and when that moment arrives he jumps at it and snatches up what he's been waiting for for over a year.

What about people like him? You have to tell him that he's been saving up for a YEAR to come home and buy ONE gun, before his leave expires and he's got to go back to Italy (and leave his guns here anyway).

I can tell you right now, he'd be PISSED!

I wish I could talk the wife into letting me buy 1 gun a month...but it would cause me to get divorced...
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

I don't get it... I thought guns were illegal in NJ anyway!

Seriously, I have no problem with this, as long as it stays in NJ. Complaining about this is like complaining about anti-gun laws in Chicago. If you don't like it, get out of NJ! There's no law requiring you to live in that gestapo dump of a state.

Personally, I think some states should be set aside into a separate political entity, where they have their own Constitution and don't have to obey the 2A. These states should be allowed to ban guns altogether, and to ban self-defense, to require employed citizens to give 80% of their paycheck to welfare recipients, etc. People who don't like this can move out to the rest of the USA which still follows the constitution, and people who don't like to work for a living can move into NJ and apply for welfare. After a decade or so, we'll see how things are going over in NJ-land.

After all, no one here complains about any anti-gun laws in Canada or Mexico, because they don't affect us personally since we're non-citizens in those countries. So we should make it so that we don't have to complain about anti-gun laws in places like NJ.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    dwolsten,

As someone who was and is very proud of the fact that I initially came from NJ I take offense at what you're saying. You say that people have the choice to move whenever they want, and while that's true, there are many people who have strong roots in NJ (I have them, to this day, and I'll always have them.) Most of the people who are in NJ work very hard to stay get and stay ahead. And there are more gun owners in NJ then the politicians would have you believe. Don't they deserve our support?

Besides which, if we let the battles like the one in NJ go because it doesn't affect us personally, then ultimately, we'll all lose. Stand together, or fall individually. I know where I stand.

Sorry, I'm not trying to offend, but the whole, oh well, they chose it for themselves attitude drives me nuts.

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by firefighter4884 View Post
    Man...

I'm glad that I got out of NJ when I did. It's only getting worse. And to think, in NJ, you already have to have THREE, yes 3, background checks before you can purchase a handgun!!

You need to have an FID card.
    A Pistol Purchasing Permit.
    and then the NICS instant check!

It's great....and there is a built in 3 month waiting period from when you apply for the pistol permit and when it shows up...

yeah... wonderful. ugh.

I hear ya...former NJ resident myself.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

While we know such a law will do nothing for crime it will have one adverse affect to some degree on the good guys. Once the law is in place and crime doesn't drop, NJ will blame PA for its gun problems because of PA's laws. With the wrong people in office this argument could gain traction, thus affecting more than just NJ.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links