Indiana is a great state.

This is a discussion on Indiana is a great state. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Council Shoots Down Gun Ordinance Proposal June 11, 2007 10:47 PM EDT By Eric Halvorson News 8 @ 11:00 INDIANAPOLIS - The City-County Council considered ...

Thread: Indiana is a great state.

Council Shoots Down Gun Ordinance Proposal

June 11, 2007 10:47 PM EDT

By Eric Halvorson
    News 8 @ 11:00

INDIANAPOLIS - The City-County Council considered a proposal for new restrictions on guns in Marion County Monday night.

Applause from people who followed this closely and didn't like what they heard followed Monday night's vote. The proposal that started with such controversy ended with confusion.

"If we say yes, that we're saying yes we're really saying no," Councilor Phil Borst said.

A council committee shot down the proposal and encouraged the council to do the same.

The ordinance would have extended regulations on gun use outside the old city limits.

Since there's more than corn in Indianapolis, supporters said the growth of the county justifies the extension to address what they call celebratory or recreational gunfire.

Opponents challenged that.

"They provided no evidence of any incidents, official incidents, all we had was the councilors' hearsay," firearms instructor Daniel Moulder said.

Gun ranges were among the exemptions authorized by the proposal. And, opponents of the proposal said current law would be sufficient for careless gunfire.

"It's a felony for reckless endangerment with a firearm. You shoot toward someone's house and hit someone's home and endanger them," Pop Guns spokesperson Mike Hilton said.

The proposal failed with an official vote of 16-8.

Critics of the proposal said the ordinance would not have changed the behavior of the careless gun owners who might fire into the air for fun on New Year's Eve.

Those critics would tell you most owners are responsible. But, Hilton said in the past his store has sold more ammunition on the day before New Years than it's sold for an entire month of December.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    It's good to read that opponents of gun control bills are able not only to get themselves heard, but to actually triumph at a city council meeting and keep a stupid law from being passed.

The Common Sense award goes to the guy who pointed out to the rest of them that anyone stupid enough to fire guns into the air on New Year's Eve is going to do so regardless of whether it's been made illegal to fire guns withing the jurisdictional limits.

Firing guns on Independence Day is as American as apple pie, but don't throw your apple pie in the air and don't put bullets in your mouth.

Another case of the old adage - Enforce the laws you have before creating new ones.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

+1 Papa......
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

Good for my home state! God I want to move back there.....I can't wait for a job in my field to come open in Indianapolis. I'd jump at it right now considering how much I hate where I work now.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    I'm liking the state so far... and my like is only growing when I read this kind of stuff!

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Sponsored Links