Maine Senators Reply

Maine Senators Reply

This is a discussion on Maine Senators Reply within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sent a letter to my reps regarding talk of changing the laws for college weapons policies after the VT incident . So far , this ...

Thread: Maine Senators Reply

Maine Senators Reply

Sent a letter to my reps regarding talk of changing the laws for college weapons policies after the VT incident . So far , this is the only reply I have gotten . But , seems like decent reply to my letter . Gonna have to do a little research on her voting record to see just how sincere she is . Lemme know what you think .

( Bold is mine )

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXX

Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to increased gun control measures in the wake of the tragedy at Virginia Tech. I appreciate hearing from you.

I was deeply saddened by the horrific events which occurred on the Virginia Tech campus on April 16, 2007, and you may be interested to know that the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, of which I am the Ranking Member, held a hearing on April 23, 2007, to address issues related to security preparations on college campuses across the nation.

During the hearing, my Senate colleagues and I heard from college administrators, campus public safety officials, and mental health counselors, who cited a number of measures being implemented to protect those who live, work, and study on college campuses. In addition, these witnesses put forth a number of recommendations aimed at making our campuses safer. These recommendations include providing additional resources to increase campus counseling services and an improved communications system to alert the campus community to security problems. I remain committed to making our institutions of higher education as safe as possible for our students, school personnel, and community at large.

Throughout my tenure in the Senate, I have consistently defended the Second Amendment, and I oppose the legislation that would restrict the right of law-abiding citizens to own guns. I grew up in northern Main where responsible gun ownership is a part of the heritage of most families. Denying the rights of law-abiding citizens will not change the behavior of those who misuse firearms for criminal purposes . Our laws should be directed toward those who misuse firearms , not law abiding citizens , and you may be assured that I will continue to support the rights of responsible gun owners .

Again, thank you for contacting me.

Sincerely,

Susan M. Collins
    United States Senator

Collins is so-so on guns. The big black mark she gets from me is that she voted to extend the 94 "assault weapon" ban back in 04. For that she is on my "list" since I'm a Mainer. But then so did Snowe...I think they really went against the wishes of the majority of the state on that one.

Collins:
    Gun confication during emergencies + (against)
    assault weapon ban extention - (for)
    trigger lock requirement - (for)
    gun show ban + (against)

Snowe voted the same

+ is good
    - is bad
    only my opinion on what is good and bad though so

Not Impressed...

The Maine Senator gave some 'warm fuzzies' about guns and hunting...

"...number of recommendations aimed at making our campuses safer. These recommendations include providing additional resources to increase campus counseling services and an improved communications system to alert the campus community to security problems..."

but how does campus counseling and improved communications make a campus safer from wacko's with weapons?

Just let those with CCW permits be prepared to defend themselves, this WOULD make a campus safer.

OMO

Stay armed...study hard...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I agree. That was my point when writing my letters . Although preventative measures are a good thing( to a certain extent) , the person most responsible for their safety is themselves . Therefore , let them have the ability to to protect themselves , as well as deter those that would harm others knowing that they are "easy game" . I'm doing a follow up letter on this issue and hope to get a more precise response to the issue.

Sponsored Links