Best BBQ evAr... 4 squad cars, about 6-8 uni's, a helo! and a RIOT SHIELD. hah

This is a discussion on Best BBQ evAr... 4 squad cars, about 6-8 uni's, a helo! and a RIOT SHIELD. hah within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So the guys on opencarry.org Virginia area decide to arrange a bbq at a county park because it's such a beautiful weekend, and we wanted ...

Thread: Best BBQ evAr... 4 squad cars, about 6-8 uni's, a helo! and a RIOT SHIELD. hah

Best BBQ evAr... 4 squad cars, about 6-8 uni's, a helo! and a RIOT SHIELD. hah

So the guys on opencarry.org Virginia area decide to arrange a bbq at a county park because it's such a beautiful weekend, and we wanted some good food too... HAH. Who shows up to crash the bbq? 4 squad cars, about 6-8 uni's and a RIOT SHIELD. Hah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh6dbWl4l_4

(Un)Fortunately that's where the drama ends... Two cops out of the 6 or so came up and circled the picnic area, we offered them a couple burgers, and asked who "our leader" was straight out of a cheezy UFO-flick. They said they'd be back, and shortly left along with the cruisers. When they came back about a half hour later, it was two different uni's (maybe from the pack that held back) and we had a nice friendly conversation for about 20 mins or so. Good stand up guys who handled it professionally and more importantly legally by not demanding ID from anybody (they asked) or escalating the situation to anything other than a nuissance because somebody else in the park didn't know the law... besides the one rogue cop in the treeline with the riot shield hah.

Full recap here, but it's kinda boring:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...90&forum_id=54

2. Remove Ads

The cop who had the shield? He was also Mr. Nice Guy at the second visit, and actually came on our board to say hi after the fact.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...o=45028#p45028

Hi folks! As promised, I came to check out your site... and what do I find? Not much concern for the welfare of the poor guy who had to lug that shield about 200 yards through the woods, thats what! Haha. I coulda had a heart attack. Not as young as I used to be...

Seriously, I want to thank all of you for being so professional today. I had never heard of OCDO, but am impressed with everything I saw there, and here. You clearly have a mission, a plan, and the will to conduct yourselves with class and style. Plus, you seemed to be having a good time!

The account given is fair and accurate, as far as I was involved. I can help with a couple of points that may give you a bit of insight as to how we work, and why we do some of what we do.

The shield - not a riot shield, but a ballistic one. What we were told was that a lone peron was in the park with a gun. That could easily have been a husband/boyfriend looking to find his better half (who he thinks is stepping out on him), an emotionally disturbed person responding to an alien invasion, a suicidal subject intent on ending his life, or any of a number of other things. We often just don't know going in, and that's normal. The ballistic vest is a fine invention, but the shield can stop bullets from hitting other parts of my body to which I've become very fond... if you get my drift. We had a situation not too long ago in which one of those shields took 4 rounds (from a suicidal subject)... instead of an officer. Good piece of gear, IMHO.

Of course we wish that only responsible, law-abiding people would carry guns... but we all know that that's often not the case. Gotta be ready, when things go bad, they can go bad pretty fast!

The helo - was going elsewhere, pilot chose to come by and help us out in case it turned out to be a rough one. Happens all the time.

The Park Authority - Fine people, first time I've dealt with this particular manager. They had an outdated set of regs - a few years ago open carry in the park would have been a class 4 misdemeanor, but that's been changed. Worth the time to show them, so they are on board and can educate the rest of their employees... kinda like what you all do, right? The long convo at the end was, I believe, completely unrelated. As was the discussion going on at the park entrance. We tend to talk where the calls bring us together.. and yes, sometimes we talk sports on county time!

In any event, I want to say thanks again... it was a pleasure to meet you all, and I'll be stopping by to keep up with things!

Long Arm
    Last edited by JD; June 23rd, 2007 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Profanity Work Around

JD
    Administrator
    I'd say this goes more under 2A News and Discussions than general firearms discussion.

Glad everytihng turned out OK, me and the wife may be moving to VA, I'll have to try and get in on the next BBQ.

Outstanding. Wish I could've been there.

WOW, by FCPD i'm assuming fairfax county? if so, that makes all the sens in the world!

The fact that the one LEO took the time to post to the open carry board is very encouraging to me. Shows he knows the law, at least now, and is informed and a pretty good guy too.

Sounds like it went OK....about as well as any interaction with the police can go for that type of thing.

Thanks for posting that. It was quite interesting.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Sounds like good fun! haha Which park was it??

Wish I could have gone. But alas, I don't live in the area anymore and I was chased-off OCDO and accused of being a troll. LOL Meh. I still think they're stand-up guys.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

The Fairfax County Police are a very professional group.

I guess I better visit OCDO more often.

Sounds like I missed a great BBQ!
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Sounds like a good out come to me. The cops seemed very professional in the vids that were posted. Go out come.
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

VIP Member
    Those Burgers looked pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by simon View Post
    Those Burgers looked pretty good!
    Absolutely delicious. Yum!

It certainly was a surprise to have those two cops act so professionally, and well above and beyond, even friendly. > )

Links