Outraged at the NRA: Why I No Longer Support The Nation's Largest Gun Control Lobby" - Page 2

Outraged at the NRA: Why I No Longer Support The Nation's Largest Gun Control Lobby"

This is a discussion on Outraged at the NRA: Why I No Longer Support The Nation's Largest Gun Control Lobby" within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by blueyedevil The NRA has really become a Republican organization, not a gun rights organization. Actually, the support quite a few pro-2A Democrats ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Outraged at the NRA: Why I No Longer Support The Nation's Largest Gun Control Lobby"

Quote Originally Posted by blueyedevil View Post
    The NRA has really become a Republican organization, not a gun rights organization.
    Actually, the support quite a few pro-2A Democrats as well.

i ain't voting for any member of a third political party who has no chance of being elected. So far as i know there are no Libertarians serving in the US congress or governor's mansions.

It's the price of expedience. The NRA wants to do the best they can. They don't take a total hardline stance and have done a lot of good. If you're looking at the situation from a totally principled view, then they seem wishy washy and not as effective.

If you look at it from a political victory view, they've gotten the most done and have certainly helped us out quite a bit. Why would they "waste" time with a 3rd party candidate in a system that only allows 2 parties to be effective. They are going for the lesser of two evils to keep the most gun rights possible. They are a lobbying organization, not a hardline principled one.

With that said, I am a Libertarian and a NRA member. I do think that Libertarians are much bigger supporters of gun rights than almost all of the Republicrats out there, but that doesn't make them necessarily a win for gun rights if they can't get elected. Historically, they can not at the federal level. Right or wrong, that's how it is. So, I'm pretty happy with the NRA doing what they are doing. I'm not going to vote for a Republican or a Democrat over a Libertarian candidate I like because one is friendlier towards guns than the other, but maybe they can get someone on the fence to do so and that's okay with me.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

There ARE things that I dislike about the NRA, but until another more powerful group emerges, my $$ goes to the NRA, and some to the GOA.
    There are some LP individuals I could vote for, but why waste a vote for someone we all know can't win?

I'm disillusioned with the Pub's, but the Dem's would be much worse. Let's face it, we are all in a 'heap of trouble'...and it's just around the corner...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    There ARE things that I dislike about the NRA, but until another more powerful group emerges, my $$ goes to the NRA, and some to the GOA.
    There are some LP individuals I could vote for, but why waste a vote for someone we all know can't win?

I'm disillusioned with the Pub's, but the Dem's would be much worse. Let's face it, we are all in a 'heap of trouble'...and it's just around the corner...

OMO

ret
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

In a place you've only dreamed of where your soul is always free...
    NRA is walking the tightrope between doing more for/against gun owners. They have become more of a lobbying organization than anything else. They will stand behind a politician over a single issue, ignoring everything else they've done. The rest of us are stuck voting against a canditate or voting for the lesser of two evils. Having the support / disdain of the NRA is just another checkbox people use to keep from addressing real issues.
    The NRA lost my support when Charlton started to explain that the 2nd was intended to ensure that there was an armed population, able to rise up against an opressive government. Chuck stopped short and moved on with his speach. When questioned about this, NRA spokessheep claimed he was leading into a speach about hunting and competive shooting and historical artifacts but had to move on because of time constraints.
    Law without force is impotent.
    Blaise Pascal

One thing about the NRA i don't like is that the constant barrage of junk mail that I get. That said, i'm not about to quit em.
    "I no longer list firearms I own as a signature. Why give them another list to use when they come to get them?"

I am not a member of any party, and I do vote in every election.

I am a member of the NRA probably for more years than before most on here were born. I remember being able as a kid less than 18 years, strolling into a hardware country with cash buying a shotgun, rifle, and even a hangun along with ammo walking out with all in hand with no paperwork, yes this was prior to 1968 - the year the NRA strongly supported the 1968 Gun Control Act. One could even buy guns by mail order prior to 1968.

I can remember relatives of mine buying M-1 carbines in 1950's and early 1960's for $25 just because they were members of the NRA.
    I can remember my relatives talking about how the NRA supporting gun laws against citizens not having machine guns in 1934, my relatives did not own machine guns but thugs and bad guys did guess what thugs and bad guys still have after 70 years,machine guns. One reads the same thing, now about CWP, CCW, CHL or whatever you want to call it only good guys apply for these silly permits like it was a priviledge - which it is really right under the Second Amendment - keep and bear arms, ad guys do not apply for CCW, CWP, or CHL, so good guys in order to carry under the laws supported by the NRA have to "register" themselves as gun owners and in some States even register their guns, so the NRA is supporting gun register, like it or not.

The NRA has some training programs maybe not the best but at least they have something in the training arena.

The NRA has helped in some States but in some States like WY, NC, VA, and MT, the NRA has done more harm than good.

If everyone (or most) that was a member of the NRA also joined the GOA, SAF, SAS, AFA then these organizations would have as much clout as the NRA maybe more clout since they tend not cater to the giving away of our rights like the NRA does at times - trying to make laws which are supposed to take guns away from the bad guys which these laws never do and only end up taking our rights away.

The NRA does not listen to it's membership, whether is on laws or their training courses, they keep on the same path unless it is in their lobbying interest which is their main job and their individual bread and butter.

Has the NRA supported school grounds / building carry by citizens since VA Techmass killings in their own backyard in VA ?

In the Law area - NRA and Katrina, yes the NRA came in to support gun owners, but only after the fact - why did not the NRA support passing laws like this years before Katrina ?

In the Training area - why does the NRA "require" the use of lawyer of the Personal Protection classes Inside and Outside the Home; there is no law that requires a lawyer for this training, it is simply a NRA requirement. Which in the end, many less citizens are trained due to NRA instructors not being able to find or afford a lawyer. The NRA INSTRUCTORS across this GREAT NATION of ours are the back bone and the real training force of the NRA, not the administrators in the NRA.

Can the U.S Constitution Party or Liberaterians win an election over Republicans or Democrats ? Sure they can, when enough people vote (which is a right and not a privledge - which many people do not exercise) and have vote for the person and not the party.

The members of the NRA could easily wake up the NRA by simply quit sending the NRA money, keep your NRA membership and give the NRA no money except for membership dues, then turn around join GOA, SAF. SAS, and AFM using that same extra money you normally do (or at least some of you say you do) give the NRA. All 4 million of us NRA members. I am already a member of all. Take the step, cross the line simply cut off funding to the NRA except for membership dues and join the GOA, SAF, SAS, and AFM. Until then the NRA nor the Democrats or Republicans will listen. What if all 4 million NRA members joined the Libertain and U.S. Constitution Party today.

So the question is, are you willing to cut off NRA funding except for membership dues - join the GOA, SAF, SAS, and SAF then join the Libertain and U.S. Constitution Party - today. Will cost you no more money than you are spending today on the NRA. How many NRA of the 4 million will take the step ? Otherwise the NRA will just continue on it's old path.

Where do you think we'd be now without the NRA?

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    i ain't voting for any member of a third political party who has no chance of being elected. So far as i know there are no Libertarians serving in the US congress or governor's mansions.
    Ron Paul served in the Congress as a Libertarian in the 80's. He's there again now as a Republican, but he still pursues the same agenda: vote no for everything that isn't authorized by the Constitution. (In other words, fulfilling his oath of office, unlike every other member of the Senate and Congress.)

If he's still in the race in November, I'll vote for him. I still believe in voting based on principle, not expedience. If Ron Paul is out by then, I'll vote for Fred Thompson.
    Check out the Free State Project

How does the economy really work? Mises Institute

Laissez Faire Books offers an extensive collection of books on liberty, free markets, philosophy, economics, politics and history.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    12/29/2003

Stop Wasting Your Vote!
    Michael A. Peroutka

by Michael A. Peroutka
    Chairman, Constitution Party of Maryland and Constitution Party Candidate for President in 2004

If you keep doing the same thing over and over again, why would you be surprised that you keep getting the same result?

You wanted to end the national disgrace of abortion, so you voted Republican.

-The murder of innocent American children continues.

You wanted to preserve your God-given right to keep and bear arms, so you voted for a Republican.

-Attacks on your Second Amendment protections intensify.

You want a better education for your children, so you vote for a Democrat or perhaps a Republican who promises to throw more money at the government school system.

-The system keeps getting worse and schools get to be even more dangerous places for your children.

You wanted government to be smaller and more efficient, so you voted for George Bush.

-Yet, in one year he enlarged the budget of the government by 5.6%. By contrast, on average, federal spending only grew by 3.5% per year under President Bill Clinton.

Why don't you stop wasting your vote?

A vote for Michael Peroutka is a vote for honest and efficient government because it is a vote for Constitutional government. According to the U.S. Constitution, most current Federal spending is not permissible. Think about it; that means the Federal government is acting outside the law. This is a hard thing to say and to hear, but it must be understood.

If you want a President who follows the rule of law, a President who is committed to take action to end abortion, a President who understands the meaning of shall not be infringed and who has the courage to terminate unConstitutional programs, please stop wasting your vote on Democrats and Republicans.

But you say, Michael, you cannot win. Saul said the same thing to David moments before Goliath had a rock sunk into his forehead. David knew, and so do I, that the outcome is in the Hand of God and the duty is in the hands of men - your hands.

Vote for Michael Anthony Peroutka for President of these United States.
    http://www.constitutionparty.com/news.php?aid=55

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Being the "third largest political party" in a two party system is pretty meaningless. I love the absolutist view of the Second Amendment and I've got a pretty strong libertarian streak in my own political views, but I can't blame the NRA for not endorsing Libertarian Party candidates. Until the Libertarian Party proves that it can win elections on a regular basis, endorsing their candidates is just going to piss off whichever Democrat or Republican ends up winning. The Libertarian Party needs to show they're a contender before they can expect support.
    The only way ANY candidate wins is through the support of organizations and individual voters. To say, "Win - then I'll support you," is like saying,"Be born, grow up, don't get in trouble, and make us proud - then your mother and I will decide to have a child." Somebody has to lead. Somebody has to say, "I will vote based on principle, and hope there are still enough Americans left with the guts to do the same, because, if there are not, America is lost anyway." Freedom is an all or nothing deal. Compromise leads only to totalitarianism. Are we trying to merely slow the slide into slavery or fighting for a free America?

When you say that a vote for a third party candidate (who stands for freedom when no one else does) is a wasted vote, you are saying that Americans are gutless followers. You are saying that freedom has already lost. You may be right. I hope not.
    Check out the Free State Project

How does the economy really work? Mises Institute

Laissez Faire Books offers an extensive collection of books on liberty, free markets, philosophy, economics, politics and history.

Quote Originally Posted by Lochinver View Post
    One thing about the NRA i don't like is that the constant barrage of junk mail that I get. That said, i'm not about to quit em.
    No joke, save your money and a few trees and stop sending me a bunch of crap to get me to renew. You want me to renew, protect my rights.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    You can easily have that stopped. All you have to do is call the number on the back of your card. NRA Membership 1-877-NRA-2000
    Ask to be put on the "DO NOT PROMOTE List" All you get is basically the Magazine and 3 renewel notices before you are about to expire. If you ever get a piece of mail from NRA and it dosn't have your Membership number on it. Some how you have been duplicated either by different spelling in the name. You can have it stopped takes about 3 weeks after you call for your stuff to be purged from the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Lochinver View Post
    Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by sailormnop View Post
    Somebody has to lead. Somebody has to say, "I will vote based on principle, and hope there are still enough Americans left with the guts to do the same, because, if there are not, America is lost anyway." Freedom is an all or nothing deal. Compromise leads only to totalitarianism. Are we trying to merely slow the slide into slavery or fighting for a free America?
    Well said ! And, I believe, very true.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links