Outraged at the NRA: Why I No Longer Support The Nation's Largest Gun Control Lobby"

Outraged at the NRA: Why I No Longer Support The Nation's Largest Gun Control Lobby"

This is a discussion on Outraged at the NRA: Why I No Longer Support The Nation's Largest Gun Control Lobby" within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Outraged at the NRA: Why I No Longer Support The Nation's Largest Gun Control Lobby" by Fran Tully Chair of the Libertarian Party of Utah ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Outraged at the NRA:
    Why I No Longer Support The Nation's Largest Gun Control Lobby"
    by Fran Tully
    Chair of the Libertarian Party of Utah
    http://www.LPUtah.org

Over the past couple of years, I have given the NRA an earful, blasted them on the radio, and have derided them on websites on the Internet.

Before you blast me, understand that I have been a long-standing member of the NRA and the GOA. I realize that both organizations have done tremendous good for gun owners since their inception, but especially in the case of the NRA, I can say without hesitation that their willingness to compromise our Second Amendment rights is costing us our liberty.

For the past several months, I have received phone calls, post cards, and magazines from the NRA telling me who to vote for: “Across the nation, anti-gun candidates think the way to get elected is to pose as friends of gun owners and hunters…they are saying whatever it takes to lull you into believing your rights aren’t in jeopardy on election day.”

Let me start by saying that the 20,000 gun laws on the books today were put there by REPUBLICANS and DEMOCRATS. In fact, in the past ten years, many of these laws were written by the NRA! The fact is, the NRA and the Republicrats are the ones who have lulled us into putting the wrong people in office.

The fact that the NRA does not endorse candidates from the third largest political party in the country should tell people that they are a fraud. The Libertarian Party platform has always and will always state that it is against gun control and gun regulation of any kind. The LP is absolutely clear when it states that “the right to bear arms shall not be infringed.”

Yet in their infinite wisdom, the NRA gurus in DC tell NRA members in New Jersey, Utah, Idaho, and every other state that it can make no endorsement for US Senate and House of Representatives candidates from third parties! In fact, despite an “A” rating from the NRA, Jim Dexter (LP candidate for US Congress) received no mention from the NRA, let alone an endorsement!

This organization who has taken our money for years and promised to lobby for gun rights, represent the voices of gun owners and evaluate candidates based on their Second Amendment stances has used that money instead as a slush fund for the corrupt Republican machine.

It gets worse!

Some of our earliest gun restrictions were drafted by NRA president, Karl Frederick. In 1930, he helped write the Uniform Firearms Act which requires a license to carry a pistol concealed on one’s person or in a vehicle; requires the purchaser of a pistol to give information about himself which is submitted by the seller to the local police authorities; and to specify a 48-hour time lapse between application for purchase and delivery of the weapon.

In the excellent book, The Ballad of Carl Drega by Vin Suprynowicz, the author gives fourteen pages of evidence on the NRA and GOA’s fraud. That’s right, FRAUD – deception deliberately practiced with a view to gaining an unlawful or unfair advantage!

L. Neil Smith, in his book “Lever Action” has an essay titled “Am I the NRA?” which concludes, “Worse than thieves, murderers, or cannibals, those who offer compromise slow you and sap your vitality while pretending to be your friends.”

In the 1968 issue of The Rifleman, NRA Executive VP Frank Orth’s quote reads: “the NRA has supported gun control since 1871.”

Dennis Fusaro left the NRA to work for the GOA back in 2001 because he wanted to get tough with the politicians and hold their feet to the fire. He would tell politicians, “If you vote any way but for our gun rights, we will work against you in the next election; we will defeat you.” Although it was effective, the GOA Board of Directors fired him, he believes, because they believed that Bush’s re-election and keeping a Republican majority was paramount to their cause, despite the questionable voting habits of several Republican office holders.

“The NRA will often award its ‘A’ or ‘B’ rating to GOP turncoats who have voted for half the gun-control laws to come down the pike, endorsing House incumbent Republicans over Libertarians or other third party candidates who vow to repeal every gun law on the books,” says Fusaro. “Why insist on the plain language of the Second Amendment (‘shall not be infringed’) if the end result is fewer cocktail-party invitations next year?”

Dr. Sarah Thompson, formerly head of the GOA Utah, said, “I think the NRA ultimately wants to move into taking over the gun-control in this country; they could become the Department of Gun Control or some such nonsense.” She continues, “the NRA actually supports registration via NICS checks and permits.”

“We had two wonderful solid pro-gun conservative people running…and the NRA insisted on backing Hatch and Leavitt, [2002]” she continues. “It’s about winning, going back to your members and saying 80% of the people who won had NRA endorsements; never mind if they’re anti-gun…”

Back in 1999, Bill Richardson (founder of the GOA) instructed GOA staffers to “go easy” on politicians like G.W. Bush who favor compromise gun-control schemes, so long as they’ve “done some good for the pro-life movement.”

Richardson further stated that “We shouldn’t do anything to Bush because it’ll upset our people, and Bush did some very good things for the pro-lifers in Texas.”

These so-called “gun rights” organizations will so frequently endorse a Republican conservative who’s weak-kneed on gun issues over a Libertarian or other third-party candidate; even when that third-party candidate vows to repeal every gun law on the books. Of course, their excuse that a Libertarian can’t get elected is pure crap.

With 4.3 million NRA members and over 300,000 GOA members, a candidate from ANY party could get elected with a strong endorsement. It isn’t about gun rights, it’s about money, Republicans, and anti-abortion groups. Of course, that’s not what they tell us when we sign up for $18 or $35 a year…

Quote Originally Posted by DOGOFWAR01 View Post
    The fact that the NRA does not endorse candidates from the third largest political party in the country should tell people that they are a fraud. The Libertarian Party platform has always and will always state that it is against gun control and gun regulation of any kind. The LP is absolutely clear when it states that “the right to bear arms shall not be infringed.”
    Being the "third largest political party" in a two party system is pretty meaningless. I love the absolutist view of the Second Amendment and I've got a pretty strong libertarian streak in my own political views, but I can't blame the NRA for not endorsing Libertarian Party candidates. Until the Libertarian Party proves that it can win elections on a regular basis, endorsing their candidates is just going to piss off whichever Democrat or Republican ends up winning. The Libertarian Party needs to show they're a contender before they can expect support.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    All I can say is come visit Canada, look at our gun laws, you will be happy to have the 2nd amendment and the NRA! It may not be perfect, but it is likely the most efficent pro-gun organization in the world.

"It may not be perfect, but it is likely the most efficent pro-gun organization in the world."

Bingo!!!! Some of the enemies of the Second Amendment even give the NRA high marks:

""THE NRA DOES THE BEST JOB OF ANY GROUP IN LOBBYING MEMBERS....
    IT'S JUST GOOD, STRAIGHT DEMOCRACY.""

Rep. Barney Frank

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Just another outsider looking in with an opinion who focuses on all the bad somebodies done and non of the good. Hummm CCW, AWB, DC, KATRINA I guess Americans truely do have a short attention span. I wonder what Paris Hilton is doing in jail?
    Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Just another outsider looking in with an opinion who focuses on all the bad somebodies done and non of the good. Hummm CCW, AWB, DC, KATRINA I guess Americans truely do have a short attention span. I wonder what Paris Hilton is doing in jail?
    Well, your attention span sure is short....... .......she got out today............ Now the world can be saved <cough cough>

Like 'em or not, the NRA is our strongest lobby

Well like it or not, the NRA has done more for our rights than any other. It may not be perfect but I feel they do a good job.
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

I support the NRA

I agree that the NRA may not be perfect but they are our best orgainzation to protect our rights. Besides, as a member, I can work to improve the NRA better than I could not being a member.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    REALLY your right I wasn't paying attention.. I wonder what shes going to be doing next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Well, your attention span sure is short....... .......she got out today............ Now the world can be saved <cough cough>

Like 'em or not, the NRA is our strongest lobby
    Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member
    A contentious topic for many. Keep it on topic and free of vitriol please.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I consider a vote for a third party canidate as a waisted vote unless there is a very good chance of that canidate winning. I think of this as a divide and defeat tactic. Be it a Democrat or Republican our goal is to protect our rights first.
    The NRA may endorse a canidate useing a gradeing system but it is up to you to do your own research as to how he votes. I consider the NRA gradeing system as just another source of information.The NRA may not be perfect but they are the best orgination out there when it comes to protecting our gun rights. Where would we be now if it were not for the NRA.

My concern is that the anti-2A groups would love to peel off a few hundred thousand NRA members, to weaken it's ability to lobby Congress. The sliver of conspiracy theorist in me thinks this may be what is happening with a crucial election on the horizon.

I haven't read all the bills the NRA opposes or supports to know if I agree or disagree with it's stance. (Which is the only way I think one can honestly assess the merits or flaws of anything.) I tend NOT to just take the opinions of people with whom I am not familiar. I also don't like to "throw the baby out with the bath water" as it were.

Also, FYI The Constitution Party lays claim to "the third largest political party in the U.S.A. If you haven't checked us out yet, here is a link to our Party's Platform. http://www.constitutionparty.com/party_platform.php

VIP Member
    I'll continue to support the NRA, GOA, VCDL etc......

I may not agree with the NRA all the time (sort of like the current Administration), but they are better than the ones fighting against them. Keep in mind, the NRA is not run by zealots. They are people that are trying to be un-offensive, & may at times give in to easily. They are on our side & the alternative is...............

They are ONE of the best organization & the ONE with the most power politically. If you don't like what they are doing, contact them & help steer them in the right direction!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Too many people expect perfection and will complain anytime something doesn't go their way.

Like it or not, without the NRA, we would now be either trying to remember what a gun looked like or hiding the guns we did not turn in.

If any organization pleases everyone all of the time, they are not doing their job.

In the article, notice what I call the "pipe dream" mentality, where they say that ANYONE from ANY PARTY can get elected with a strong NRA or GOA endorsement.

If that were true, we would have no gun control now.

Just 2 cents from an NRA Life Member.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Well I agree with the guy, and I am and vote Libertarian. And Libertarians can and do get elected. There are very few that get elected to the senate or congress, and that is because they can not compete with the MONEY that their opponents get from lobbyists to campaign. The NRA has really become a Republican organization, not a gun rights organization. They do some good things alot of the time, but they also sell us down the river every once in a while. And that's why I have never and will never support them, I do however support the GOA and local gun rights groups.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links