Bloomberg Dealt Major Setback in Quest for Gun Control

This is a discussion on Bloomberg Dealt Major Setback in Quest for Gun Control within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Bloomberg's Gun Campaign Is Dealt a Blow By BRADLEY HOPE Staff Reporter of the Sun June 29, 2007 In a blow to Mayor Bloomberg's campaign ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bloomberg Dealt Major Setback in Quest for Gun Control

Bloomberg's Gun Campaign Is Dealt a Blow
    By BRADLEY HOPE
    Staff Reporter of the Sun
    June 29, 2007

In a blow to Mayor Bloomberg's campaign against illegal guns ( ), a Senate committee yesterday voted 19–10 to pass an amendment that mandates prison time for police officers who use federal gun-trace data for anything except specific investigations.

Mr. Bloomberg responded to the vote with a harsh statement, saying the senators who voted for the amendment made America less safe.

"Today's vote … showed Congress at its most craven, buckling to pressure from the gun lobby to protect those who traffic in illegal guns — even if it means locking up police officers," he said. The new amendment will "empower criminals, undercut cops, and endanger innocent citizens," he said.

Senator Shelby, a Republican of Alabama, sponsored the amendment, which is a more strongly worded version of an amendment sponsored by Rep. Todd Tiahrt, a Republican of Kansas. That amendment has been renewed annually for the last three years.

Mr. Bloomberg's aides said the Shelby amendment would prevent police departments from releasing aggregate trace data to mayors and would mandate five years in prison for any police officer who uses the data for anything except a criminal investigation.

Mr. Shelby said in his prepared remarks to the committee that Mr. Bloomberg's decision to send undercover investigators into southern states last year "jeopardized" ongoing investigations by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives.

Members of the House Appropriations Committee will vote on a version of the Tiahrt amendment in the second week of July.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Moderator
    Senator Shelby, a Republican of Alabama
    I'm glad his is my Senator.
    He's always been very pro-second.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Assistant Administrator
    Can I maybe suggest Bloomberg suck that up!! Pretty convincing vote.

He is not the guardian of the peace and all that prevails in gun control or things constitutional. He's a mayor, not the Prez ... (I pray not).
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Can I maybe suggest Bloomberg suck that up!! Pretty convincing vote.

He is not the guardian of the peace and all that prevails in gun control or things constitutional. He's a mayor, not the Prez ... (I pray not).
    Glad to see this happen, especially after VA told him to back off or face prosecution in their state.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    He can put that in his pipe and smoke it.

I wonder if any of the Mayors in his group will bail out now, that is a pretty strong message.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Does Ex-Post-Facto apply here?
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer him—by force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

I hope he runs for POTUS as an independent and splinters the vote for the antis! What a bargain!

Also real happy to see a 19-10 vote on the Shelby amendment in committee!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Also real happy to see a 19-10 vote on the Shelby amendment in committee!
    Amen! My Senator on the committee (Alexander, TN) voted for us.

It is amazing that the city has no pressing needs right now that allow their Mayor to pursue his own ideals.

If I lived in New York, I would ask for his resignation on two fronts. One, he has a completely distorted view of the Constitution, and two, because he should focus on New York city, rather than all this rhetoric regarding his potential run for office.

If I spent my time at my office looking for another job, my boss would ask me to leave....
    NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

Kay Bailey Hutchinson from Texas supported it too!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Thumbs down

If I lived in New York, I would ask for his resignation on two fronts. One, he has a completely distorted view of the Constitution, and two, because he should focus on New York city, rather than all this rhetoric regarding his potential run for office.

If I spent my time at my office looking for another job, my boss would ask me to leave....[/QUOTE]

This mayor needs to check out his own back yard. NYC seems to always be having troubles. I remember reading some where that they have money problems ever so often. Maybe its due to the fact that the mayor is medding in every body elses business .

VIP Member
    f I spent my time at my office looking for another job, my boss would ask me to leave....
    Absolutely! The man needs to focus there. Of course his constituents probably appreciate it when he starts doing things elsewhere. It takes the pressure off of them.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Wink Must be a Yankee thang

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    Absolutely! The man needs to focus there. Of course his constituents probably appreciate it when he starts doing things elsewhere. It takes the pressure off of them.
    I heard today that the MAYOR of Philly waited for HOURS to get his NEW iPhone until somebody passed by and asked what he was doing there with the MURDER rate in his town so high? That would drop if they'd just issue more CCWs and maybe post a bounty on bad guys...
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Years ago, Todd Tiahrt knocked on my door when he was running for Kansas house of Rep's. He did his speil, than asked for my vote. At the time we had a very anti gun mayor, and she got a lot of press. I asked him what he was going to do about all the guns out there, and he was tactful, and 100% 2A. This is one Rep that won't sell out on his convictions. Glad he is my district.

'... a Senate committee yesterday voted 19–10 to pass an amendment that mandates prison time for police officers who use federal gun-trace data for anything except specific investigations.'
    I'll bet Bloomberg was apoplectic. Too bad it wasn't worse.

Good for the Senate! A specific investigation is required, and the trace data may only be used insofar as it's related to a given investigation. The alternative, which Bloomberg obviously prefers, is no-holds-barred, general-purpose, over-reaching, surreptitious invasion of privacy of individuals based on mere suspicions. Let's just hope the Tiahrt and Lautenberg gems also die in the fiery furnace, just like Bloomberg's attempts at naked fascism.

Unwarranted actions should be illegal, even criminal. The Senate agrees. It's about time.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links