OSHA Going After the Firearms Industry? Labor Dept Will Revise OSHA Explosives Rule

This is a discussion on OSHA Going After the Firearms Industry? Labor Dept Will Revise OSHA Explosives Rule within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just talked with the NRA-ILA. The representative there was not aware that SAAMI had requested the changes to the OSHA rules. Then he read the ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OSHA Going After the Firearms Industry? Labor Dept Will Revise OSHA Explosives Rule

Just talked with the NRA-ILA. The representative there was not aware that SAAMI had requested the changes to the OSHA rules. Then he read the part of the OSHA document where SAAMI had petitioned OSHA to change the rules. Then he said that he would "call the NRA lawyers."

This morning i tried to talk with Mr. Rich Patterson of NSSF. Patterson is the SAAMI man at NSSF. Told the receptionist that SAAMI had petitioned OSHA to change the rules in 2002. There was a very long pause and i was told that Mr. Patterson "was not at his desk." Left a message on Patterson's voice mail. He has not returned my call and i do not expect him to.

To set the record straight:
    1. In 2002 SAAMI petitioned OSHA to change the rules.

2. OSHA changed the rules as requested by SAAMI.

3. NSSF and SAAMI are now crying that the sky is falling. What happened to the SAAMI guy who asked for the rule change?
    4. Three weeks before the comment period is due to expire, everyone gets up in arms at OSHA for doing what SAAMI asked them to do.

There is a lesson here: When any government agency exercises minimal authority over your industry leave well enough alone, even of their regulations are 30 years out of date.

Yes, OSHA can put you out of business. Just ask the US Army. OSHA and the EPA ganged up on the US Army in about 1986 and stopped all TNT production in the USA. TNT production just resumed at Radford Army Depot last year.

2. Remove Ads

NRA ALERT: OSHA Regulations RE: Ammo and Handloading

NRA ALERT: PROPOSED "SAFETY" REGULATIONS WOULD DRY UP AMMUNITION SALES
    The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has proposed new rules that will have a dramatic effect on the storage and transportation of ammunition and handloading components. The proposed rule indiscriminately treats ammunition, powder, and primers as "explosives."

The public comment period ends July 12. To file your own comment, or to learn more about the OSHA proposal, go to http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspublic/component/main. Click on the first box in the "Search Documents" section, scroll down and choose "Occupational Safety and Health Administration" then hit the submit button at the bottom of the page. When the page pops up, the title you want is the second one on the list. It is titled "Explosives." The last two columns on the right will permit you to read the document and to submit comments electronically, or by fax or mail.
    No guns, no peace.
    Know guns, know peace.

Since there has never been a problem for these insane regulations to address, the point is not to increase public safety, but to flush the 2nd. amendment down the toilet without congress having to go on record as being guilty of that act.

Read The Declaration of Independence very, very carefully!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

"Since there has never been a problem for these insane regulations to address, the point is not to increase public safety, but to flush the 2nd. amendment down the toilet without congress having to go on record as being guilty of that act."

Congress and Nixon made a very big boo-boo when they allowed OSHA to play God. If this becomes law it is the over the counter retailers who will suffer. Many will stop selling ammo because it is too much hassle.

"Read The Declaration of Independence very, very carefully!"

Done that, thank you sir. My 4th great Grandfather, John Hart, signed it.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Come on, folks, it really is time for the firearms industry as a whole to give a big " you!" to anti-gun whacko legislators by [i]flatly refusing to sell any arms or ammunition or equipment to ALL LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES in any state or city whose politicians push for this kind of regulation.

If a city wants to sue gun makers, or regulate ammunition makers out of existence, let that city try to manufacture its own guns when the companies all say "tough."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Come on, folks, it really is time for the firearms industry as a whole to give a big " you!" to anti-gun whacko legislators by [i]flatly refusing to sell any arms or ammunition or equipment to ALL LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES in any state or city whose politicians push for this kind of regulation.

If a city wants to sue gun makers, or regulate ammunition makers out of existence, let that city try to manufacture its own guns when the companies all say "tough."
    Amen!!!

That's a really, really good idea. Whether it's viable is another question. One must find out what percentage of overall sales are going to law enforcement vs the private sector. And the American gun manufacturers would have to get HK, Sig Sauer, Glock, and all the other overseas competition to agree to this law enforcement reverse-boycott.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

too much $$$ at stake for the dealers,some might say "hell yeah" but me thinks most would'nt do it,law enforcement agencies would probably find a way around it anyway and get their weapons direct from the manufacturer. just my thought on it?

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I submitted my opposing comments. I urge everyone to pull all the stops on this one. I don't care what moron asked for the rule changes. It's not worth pushing this off to someone else to complain. Everyone reading this has too much to lose if this rule change goes through.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Exclamation OSHA pulling fast one Serious Ramificatons

Just got this from the NRA

Sounds like it could be serious if OSHA arbitrairily passes this into law!

You might want to check into it and post a comment Before July 12 Deadline

The website is not very user friendly! I've been trying to do a docket search using the criteria provided and not coming up with results. Typical!

Proposed “Safety” Regulations Would Dry Up Ammunition Sales

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has proposed new rules that would have a dramatic effect on the storage and transportation of ammunition and handloading components such as primers or black and smokeless powder. The proposed rule indiscriminately treats ammunition, powder and primers as “explosives.” Among many other provisions, the proposed rule would:
    Prohibit possession of firearms in commercial “facilities containing explosives”—an obvious problem for your local gun store.
    Require evacuation of all “facilities containing explosives”—even your local Wal-Mart—during any electrical storm.
    Prohibit smoking within 50 feet of “facilities containing explosives.”
    It’s important to remember this is only a proposed rule right now, so there’s still time for concerned citizens to speak out before OSHA issues its final rule. The National Rifle Association, National Shooting Sports Foundation, and Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute will all be commenting on these proposed regulations, based on the severe effect these regulations (if finalized) would have on the availability of ammunition and reloading supplies to safe and responsible shooters.

The public comment period ends July 12. To file your own comment, or to learn more about the OSHA proposal, click here or go to http://www.regulations.gov/ and search for Docket Number OSHA-2007-0032”; you can read OSHA’s proposal and learn how to submit comments electronically, or by fax or mail.

-----------------------------

OSHA Docket Office Docket No. OSHA-2007-0032 U.S. Department of Labor, Room N-2625 200 Constitution Ave., N.W. Washington, DC 20210

Re.: Docket No. OSHA-2007-0032 (Explosives—Proposed Rule)

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am writing in strong opposition to OSHA’s proposed rules on “explosives,” which go far beyond regulating true explosives. These proposed rules would impose severe restrictions on the transportation and storage of small arms ammunition—both complete cartridges and handloading components such as black and smokeless powder, primers, and percussion caps. These restrictions go far beyond existing transportation and fire protection regulations.

As a person who uses ammunition and components, I am very concerned that these regulations will have a serious effect on my ability to obtain these products. OSHA’s proposed rules would impose restrictions that very few gun stores, sporting goods stores, or ammunition dealers could comply with. (Prohibiting firearms in stores that sell ammunition, for example, is absurd—but would be required under the proposed rule.)

The proposed transportation regulations would also affect shooters’ ability to buy these components by mail or online, because shipping companies would also have great difficulty complying with the proposed rules.

There is absolutely no evidence of any new safety hazard from storage or transportation of small arms ammunition or components that would justify these new rules. I also understand that organizations with expertise in this field, such as the National Rifle Association, National Shooting Sports Foundation, and Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers’ Association, will be submitting detailed comments on this issue. I hope OSHA will listen to these organizations’ comments as the agency develops a final rule on this issue.

Sincerely,
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Moderator
    That doesn't sound good. I suspect, if passed, Walmart would stop carrying ammo.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

"The proposed transportation regulations would also affect shooters’ ability to buy these components by mail or online, because shipping companies would also have great difficulty complying with the proposed rules."

This is the part that i have big heart burn with. For one, it is just not true. OSHA proposes no such thing and says so in their proposed rules. Secondly, it does not enhance the credibility of guns rights organizations to put this kind of trash in a form letter and ask their members to send it out to politicians and OSHA.

i have been a loyal member of the NRA for 50 years and contribute heavily to our cause. But when they twist the truth it makes me wonder if anyone there knows what they are doing.

Yes, OSHA is a tyrannical federal regulatory bureauracy. Yes, they can put you out of business. No, they are not going to regulate the transportation of small arms ammunition and re-loading components.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    10,000 primers is not much at all. That's 10 bricks - divided among all the primer manufacturers. Ever know of a retailer that doesn't like to display items for sale?

For those who think this is "no big deal," perhaps you should look at what's (or who) is driving this. ANY change that makes it more difficult to buy firearms or supplies is an infringement on our collective rights. This IS a big deal and it should be met with heavy public resistance. The proposed regulations address a "safety threat" that does not exist.

Please get involved..................
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

"For those who think this is "no big deal," perhaps you should look at what's (or who) is driving this."

OK, tell me who is driving this?

The only part of the proposed regulations that i am concerned about is the proposed regulation of retail establishments.

Neither of the Wal Marts in Lawton sell powder or primers except for some Pyrodex and 209 primers during muzzleloader season.

Many retailers already comply with all or most of these proposed regulations since most larger cities force them to comply with NFPA 495. NFPA 495 allows 50 pounds of powder to be on display. Some city codes do not allow any powder to be on display.

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    Now I'm not a lawyer and I've just been skimming the OSHA docket in my spare time, but it seems to me that they make very clear distinctions between small arms and other explosives in the proposed changes. For example:

"Small arms ammunitions are finished
    consumer products that pose lesser
    hazards to employees when compared
    with most other forms of explosives.
    There are very small quantities of
    explosive matter sealed in the
    ammunition shells which, when
    inadvertently detonated (except when
    confined as in the firing chamber of a
    weapon), do not constitute a substantial
    projection or mass explosion hazard.
    Therefore, the safe storage and
    transportation requirements for small
    arms ammunition are different from
    other explosives."

Pg 18825 of Docket Number OSHA-2007-0032

And on the next page:

"Proposed paragraph (h)(2) would
    require the employer to ensure that
    small arms ammunition is separated
    from flammable liquids, flammable
    solids, and oxidizing materials by a fire
    barrier wall with at least a 1-hour fire
    resistance rating or by a distance of at
    least 25 feet."

Sounds to me like WalMart now has to separate their ammunition and automotive department by 25 feet...whoop de do...

Am I missing something here? Can someone point out in the document the part that would require WalMart to evacuate should a thunderstorm pop up?

The only thing I saw in their about "Prohibit[ing] possession of firearms in commercial “facilities containing explosives”—an obvious problem for your local gun store." involved not allowing people (other than security guards) to CARRY firearms in places that sell ammunition. Now I know that's not a good thing by any means, but if that's the only problem that this document proposes, then we should be trying to focus our energy on that particular part instead of listening to all of the alarmists out there who are claiming that OSHA is trying to institute a ban on small arms.

Anyone who has a problem with these proposed regulations would be better off citing the portions they have problems with rather than firing of a cookie cutter letter from the NRA.

Please feel free to point out anything that I may have missed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links