OSHA Going After the Firearms Industry? Labor Dept Will Revise OSHA Explosives Rule

OSHA Going After the Firearms Industry? Labor Dept Will Revise OSHA Explosives Rule

This is a discussion on OSHA Going After the Firearms Industry? Labor Dept Will Revise OSHA Explosives Rule within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Suppose certain legislators have influence with OSHA? http://www.nssf.org/news/PR_idx.cfm?...R=BP070207.cfm...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Suppose certain legislators have influence with OSHA?
    http://www.nssf.org/news/PR_idx.cfm?...R=BP070207.cfm
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

VIP Member
    Link doesn't work.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    Link doesn't work.
    Hmm, here's the story:

Proposed OSHA Regulation Threatens
    Firearm and Ammunition Industry

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the government agency charged with assuring the safety and health of America's workers, is proposing a regulatory rule affecting the manufacturing, transportation and storage of small arms ammunition, primers and smokeless propellants.

As written, the proposed rule would force the closure of nearly all ammunition manufacturers and force the cost of small arms ammunition to skyrocket beyond what the market could bear—essentially collapsing our industry. This is not an exaggeration. The cost to comply with the proposed rule for the ammunition industry, including manufacturer, wholesale distributors and retailers, will be massive and easily exceed $100 million. For example, ammunition and smokeless propellant manufacturers would have to shut down and evacuate a factory when a thunderstorm approached and customers would not be allowed within 50 feet of any ammunition (displayed or otherwise stored) without first being searched for matches or lighters.

NSSF and SAAMI have already had a preliminary meeting with OSHA officials to begin the process of explaining to them the major problems this proposed rule presents for all levels of the firearms and ammunition industry. Furthermore, NSSF and SAAMI are each seeking a 60 day extension of the public comment period (currently scheduled to expire July 12).

NSSF is urging all retailers to contact OSHA directly and request a 60-day extension of the public comment period. Retailers should inform OSHA that the proposed rule constitutes a "significant regulatory action" as defined in Executive Order 12866 (1993) Section 3(f)(1) in that it will clearly "adversely affect in a material way" the retail sector of the firearms and ammunition industry, productivity, competition and jobs and that the annual compliance cost for all retailers of ammunition will far exceed $100 million dollars.

Click here for a template letter. If you choose to draft your own letter, the reference line must read as follows:

RE: Docket No. OSHA–2007–0032
    Request to Extend Public Comment Period and Request for Hearing on
    "Significant Regulatory Action" as Defined in Executive Order 12866

Please fax the letter to: 202-693-1648 (include the docket number and Department of Labor/OSHA on the cover sheet and in the reference section of your letter).

Please e-mail the letter by visiting: http://www.regulations.gov and following the submission instructions.

Seriously, do you guys even read this stuff? You sure do jump to a lot of conclusions.

No where in any of this did I see anything about stopping the shipments. In fact, they defer all shipping concers to the DOT.

Although OSHA has the statutory authority to regulate working
    conditions at each stage in the transportation of hazardous materials,
    the Agency is not required to exercise that authority. OSHA recognizes
    DOT and the United States Coast Guard's extensive regulatory expertise
    and coverage in the area of the safe transportation of hazardous
    materials. The Agency also believes it is important to avoid
    duplicative or conflicting regulatory requirements between federal
    agencies. As a result, OSHA has no current plans to expand its
    regulation of working conditions during the transportation of hazardous
    materials.
    As for storage... lets get something cleared up.

Storage of complete ammunition:
    Paragraph (h) Small arms ammunition, small arms primers, and
    smokeless propellants. The requirements of proposed paragraph (h) are
    very similar to the requirements in existing paragraph (j). Most of the
    revisions have been made to make proposed paragraph (h) consistent with
    the 2001 edition of NFPA 495.
    Small arms ammunitions are finished consumer products that pose
    lesser hazards to employees when compared with most other forms of
    explosives. There are very small quantities of explosive matter sealed
    in the ammunition shells which, when inadvertently detonated (except
    when confined as in the firing chamber of a weapon), do not constitute
    a substantial projection or mass explosion hazard. Therefore, the safe
    storage and transportation requirements for small arms ammunition are
    different from other explosives.
    Proposed paragraph (h)(1) states that proposed paragraph (h) does
    not apply to in-process temporary storage during the manufacture of
    small arms ammunition, small arms primers, and smokeless propellants.
    This is similar to and replaces existing paragraph (j)(1) except that
    the proposed language uses the phrase ``temporary in-process storage''
    whereas the existing language only uses the phrase ``in-process
    storage.'' The term ``temporary'' has been added to emphasize that in-
    process storage is limited to storage which is temporary in nature and
    is an integral and indispensable part of the manufacturing process.
    However, proposed paragraph (h) does apply to the non-temporary storage
    of small arms ammunition, small arms primers, and smokeless
    propellants. In addition, existing paragraph (j)(1) states that
    existing paragraph (j) does not apply to the intraplant transportation
    during the manufacture of small arms ammunition, small arms primers,
    and smokeless propellants. This provision has not been retained in the
    proposed paragraph because none of the requirements in proposed
    paragraph (h) apply to such intraplant transportation.
    Existing paragraph (j)(2)(i) contains a requirement that states:
    ``No quantity limitations are imposed on the storage of small arms
    ammunition in warehouses, retail stores, and other general occupancy
    facilities, except those imposed by limitations of storage
    facilities.'' This statement has not been included in proposed
    paragraph (h) because it is not mandatory in the existing paragraph and
    does not improve employee safety.
    Proposed paragraph (h)(2) would require the employer to ensure that
    small arms ammunition is separated from flammable liquids, flammable
    solids, and oxidizing materials by a fire barrier wall with at least a
    1-hour fire resistance rating or by a distance of at least 25 feet. The
    proposed requirement replaces the existing paragraph (j)(2)(ii). The
    existing provision defines ``flammable solid'' in terms of the
    classification used by DOT. The proposed rule has dropped the reference
    to DOT's classification because ``flammable solid'' is defined in
    OSHA's Hazard Communication standard at Sec. 1910.1200.
    Storage of smokeless powder (read it all if you want or don't believe me):
    Let me sum it up for you:
    You can't "Display" more than 20 pounds in 1 pound containers in a storefront.
    Storage:
    20-100 pounds in portable or permananet container made from 1" wood.
    100-750 pounds Permanent container with 1" walls, no more than 400# per container. Containers 25ft araprt OR seperated by a 1 hour fire wall (1 hour drywall, you could theoretically add this to your storage container and stack them close together.
    750-5000 pounds, same as 100-750, but adds Sprinkler system, limited access, 1/4" steel or 2" wood/brick/or concrete block seperators, -OR- (in lieu of all the stuff before) a type 4 ATF magazine.

Storage of small arms primers:
    Display no more than 10,000 primers
    750,000 or less primers must be stored in lots of not more than 100,000 and in containers 15ft apart (no mention of fireproof seperators)
    750,000 or more primers must be stored more or less like 750-5000 pounds of smokless powder, not more than 200,000 primers per cabinet.

Basically all they are doing is taking the OSHA standards and making them the same as the already existing, and in most cases more restrictive, standards from other agencies. This allows them to enforce the already existing policies better.
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer him—by force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar

Thanks, don't know what I did wrong there.

They may not stop the shipments but what if your you local ammo place, be it WalMart or a gun shop has to search you for lighters?

How much lost production time would it cost manufacturers if they have to shut down and evacuate every time a thunderstorm approaches?
    (When was the last time you heard about an ammo or powder factory exploding because of a lightning strike?)

Call me paranoid but it sounds like one more underhanded ploy by the antis to get what they're after.
    If the NSSF is concerned, so am I.

It has nothing to do with OSHA. They know darn good and well that the sole purpose is to cut down on firearms and manufacturers of such. When was the last time you heard about an ammo factory going up smoke in the USA?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Again a clear demonstration of trying to fix a problem that DOES NOT EXIST. Its feel better, fluffy legislstion.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

"Seriously, do you guys even read this stuff? You sure do jump to a lot of conclusions."

"No where in any of this did I see anything about stopping the shipments. In fact, they defer all shipping concers to the DOT."

Exactly. Most of this stuff is being stirred up by dealers. Two close friends have called me in a total panic over this stuff. Dealers told then that they could no longer handle re-loading stuff if this went through. It is my personal belief that a lot of guns shops do not want to be bothered with black powder, so they do not order it."

First, the pro-gun organizations (NRA, GOA, RKBA,etc.) care so much that they had not even bothered to comment as of four days ago. This is not a big deal for ammunition manufacturers.

"Explosives" is a very broad category that encompasses nearly everything from small arms primers to big bombs.

Several guys on other sites have made a big deal out of black powder being classed in 1.1D as a high explosive. Federal agencies have classified it that way for at least 15 years. Yes, we all know BP is not a high explosive. But because of it's sensitivity to heat, sparks, friction, static electricity, etc. it is classed as such.

i can tell you this, OSHA is not the lead agency or regulatory authority for explosives and black powder. i'm a federally licensed user of high explosives. The ATFE is the lead agency for all licensing of manufacturers, licensing of users, storage, and inventory compliance of explosives used by civilians. In many respects ATF explosive storage rules are more stringent than military explosive storage rules. If something gets lost in shipment or stolen from storage it is the ATFE who is coming to town.

There are several federal agencies who get in explosive shipping, storage and use. First there is the military, for military only. Then there is the US Army Corps of Engineers for COE stuff only. DOT rules on shipment. OSHA has its own regulations that apply only where nothing else applies. In 25 years i've never seen a situation where OSHA rules applied.

Scanned the proposed rules. Me thinks it is not a big deal. There were very few comments on this proposed rule until a few days ago. Most of those were by private individuals who use black powder recreationally.

i remember the primer panic about 12-14 years ago. Supposedly Slick Willie was going to force ammunition companies to stop selling primers. There was a total buying binge.

Exclamation So, I wonder who's behind all this?

So I got an interesting email today. I'm not really loving the price of ammo and seems like this could not only make ammo/powder prices rise but also a lot harder to get. Not to mention the impact on suppliers/stores small and large. Below is the email with links you decide...
    -----
    from news@tgscom.com

ALERT - Protect Your Firearm Rights

The National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) has issued a press release that details a proposed regulatory change by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) that could adversely affect small arms ammunition supplies, artificially drive the ever-rising cost of small arms ammunition and impose undue hardships on both retailers and consumers. For instance, one of the proposed changes states a customer could not be within 50 feet of ammunition unless he/she is searched for matches or lighters. See the release here: http://www.nssf.org/news/PR_idx.cfm?PRloc=common/PR/&PR=BP070207.cfm

TGSCOM, Inc, a family owned and operated firearms retailer, strongly opposes any regulation on the firearms industry, and its supporting industries, that threatens an American citizen's 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms. We believe such ill-advised regulation of ammunition manufacturers and retailers will result in price spikes in ammunition that will make pre-ban magazine prices look affordable. We encourage you all to add comments to this proposed regulation here: http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspubli...OSHA-2007-0032

Remember, this is a proposed regulatory change. We have the right and responsibility as United States citizens to make comments and point out the shortcomings and potential consequences of these changes. It is important that we make our voices heard.

Sincerely,

Eric Thompson
    President, TGSCOM, Inc
    TopGlock.com TheGunSource.com XDPistols.com

NRA on it now

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=3145

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has proposed new rules that would have a dramatic effect on the storage and transportation of ammunition and handloading components such as primers or black and smokeless powder. The proposed rule indiscriminately treats ammunition, powder and primers as “explosives.” Among many other provisions, the proposed rule would:
    Prohibit possession of firearms in commercial “facilities containing explosives”—an obvious problem for your local gun store.
    Prohibit delivery drivers from leaving explosives unattended—which would make it impossible for delivery services such as UPS to deliver ammunition or gun powder.
    Require evacuation of all “facilities containing explosives”—even your local Wal-Mart—during any electrical storm.
    Prohibit smoking within 50 feet of “facilities containing explosives.”

It’s important to remember this is only a proposed rule right now, so there’s still time for concerned citizens to speak out before OSHA issues its final rule. The National Rifle Association, National Shooting Sports Foundation, and Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers’ Association will all be commenting on these proposed regulations, based on the severe effect these regulations (if finalized) would have on the availability of ammunition and reloading supplies to safe and responsible shooters.

The public comment period ends July 12. To file your own comment, or to learn more about the OSHA proposal, go to http://www.regulations.gov and search for Docket Number OSHA-2007-0032”; you can read OSHA’s proposal and learn how to submit comments electronically, or by fax or mail.

-----------------------------

OSHA Docket Office Docket No. OSHA-2007-0032 U.S. Department of Labor, Room N-2625 200 Constitution Ave., N.W. Washington, DC 20210 Re.: Docket No. OSHA-2007-0032 (Explosives—Proposed Rule)

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am writing in strong opposition to OSHA’s proposed rules on “explosives,” which go far beyond regulating true explosives. These proposed rules would impose severe restrictions on the transportation and storage of small arms ammunition—both complete cartridges and handloading components such as black and smokeless powder, primers, and percussion caps. These restrictions go far beyond existing transportation and fire protection regulations.

As a person who uses ammunition and components, I am very concerned that these regulations will have a serious effect on my ability to obtain these products. OSHA’s proposed rules would impose restrictions that very few gun stores, sporting goods stores, or ammunition dealers could comply with. (Prohibiting firearms in stores that sell ammunition, for example, is absurd—but would be required under the proposed rule.)

The proposed transportation regulations would also affect shooters’ ability to buy these components by mail or online, because shipping companies would also have great difficulty complying with the proposed rules. For instance, the rules against leaving any vehicle containing “explosives” unattended would make it impossible for companies such as United Parcel Service to deliver ammunition to businesses or consumers without massive changes in their operations (such as putting a second driver on any truck that might happen to deliver a case of shotgun shells).

There is absolutely no evidence of any new safety hazard from storage or transportation of small arms ammunition or components that would justify these new rules. I also understand that organizations with expertise in this field, such as the National Rifle Association, National Shooting Sports Foundation, and Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers’ Association, will be submitting detailed comments on this issue. I hope OSHA will listen to these organizations’ comments as the agency develops a final rule on this issue.

Sincerely,

"The proposed rule indiscriminately treats ammunition, powder and primers as “explosives.”"

Ammunition, powder and primers have always been treated as "explosives."

All explosives are classed into one of six Hazard Classes/Divisions" Small arms ammunition under .50 caliber falls into 1.4 S. Black Powder falls into 1.1D.

1.1 Mass Explosion

1.2 Non-Mass Explosion, Fragment Producing

1.3 Mass Fire, Minor Blast or Fragments

1.4 Moderate Fire, No Blast or Fragments

1.5 Explosive Substance Very Insensitive, Fragment Producing With Mass Explosion Hazard

1.6 Explosive Substance, Extremely Insensitive

IMO this is not a big deal. This proposed rule change has been posted since 13 April without comment from industry or the pro gun groups. Now it is suddenly a big issue. i don't think so. BTW, OSHA regulations do not even apply to businesses with fewer than ten employees.

If these rules are applied the way NRA/NSSA/GOA believe, they could be used to cripple the industry. Under a H Clinto Presidency, they WOULD be used in such a way. Of course, wouldn't this also cripple the military ammo supply?

I see fireworks plants exploding at least once every two years...they are still around.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

It gets worse. SAAMI petitioned OSHA for the change. See page 18793.

"On July 29, 2002, OSHA received a
    petition (the Petition) from the Institute
    of Makers of Explosives (IME) and the
    Sporting Arms and Ammunition
    Manufacturers’ Institute (SAAMI) to
    revise the standard. A copy of the
    Petition can be found at Docket No.
    OSHA–S031–2006–0665 (Ex. 2–1). IME
    is an association of manufacturers of
    high explosives and other companies
    that distribute explosives or provide
    other related services and the SAAMI is
    an association of manufacturers of
    sporting firearms, ammunition, and
    related components. The Petition
    claimed that § 1910.109 does not reflect
    significant technological and safety
    advances made by the explosives
    industry since the standard was
    promulgated. It further contended that
    the standard contains outdated
    references, classifications, and
    jurisdiction-related provisions that do
    not accurately represent the current
    regulatory environment.
    The Petition requested OSHA to make
    a number of changes to the standard,
    including the following, and provided
    draft regulatory language:
    • Exclude the manufacture of
    explosives from the PSM requirements
    of § 1910.119 and incorporate revised
    PSM requirements for the manufacture
    of explosives into § 1910.109;
    • Replace references to outdated DOT
    explosives classifications with the
    current DOT classification system;
    • Eliminate the provisions in
    § 1910.109 covering the storage of
    explosives and the construction of
    magazines because they are regulated by
    the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco,
    Firearms, and Explosives (ATF);
    • Eliminate provisions in § 1910.109
    applicable to the transportation of
    explosives on public highways because
    such transportation is regulated by DOT;
    • Update provisions for guarding
    against accidental initiation by sources
    of extraneous electricity;
    • Include provisions governing the
    intra-plant transportation of explosives;
    • Include provisions for the use of
    nonelectric detonation systems;
    • Revise provisions regarding the
    crimping of detonators to safety fuse;
    • Update provisions for clearing the
    blasting area of unauthorized personnel;
    and
    • Update the provisions for the
    design of bulk delivery and mixing
    vehicles and of mixing equipment.
    In response to the Petition, OSHA
    carefully reviewed the requirements of
    the current standard and other related
    OSHA standards. It analyzed the
    recommendations as well as the draft
    regulatory language provided in the
    Petition. OSHA also examined the
    regulations of other federal agencies
    relating to explosives and consulted
    with interested parties about the need to
    revise the standard. Apart from IME and
    SAAMI, these interested parties
    included the International Society of
    Explosives Engineers (ISEE), the
    American Pyrotechnics Association
    (APA), the United Steel Workers of
    America (USWA), and the Paper, Allied-
    Industrial, Chemical and Energy
    Workers International (PACE). In
    addition, OSHA consulted with other
    Federal agencies about their explosives
    regulations and procedures. These
    Federal agencies included the DOT,
    ATF, the Interagency Committee on
    Explosives (ICE), the Department of
    Defense Explosives Safety Board
    (DDESB), the Consumer Product Safety
    Commission (CPSC), and the Mine
    Safety and Health Administration.
    Based upon its review of the Petition
    and the standard, OSHA has concluded
    that the following actions are
    appropriate. These actions are discussed
    in greater detail in the summary and
    explanation section of the proposed rule
    (see section III).
    A. Update the Standard
    Workplace hazards associated with
    explosives activities pose significant
    risks to employees. OSHA has
    determined that the existing standard
    needs to be updated to adequately
    protect employees from these risks."

"........"

BAC
    I've done my part through OSHA's site, will be emailing and faxing tomorrow.

Dear Sir or Ma'am,

I cannot support these changes.

As per the design of prosecution in this country, the burden of proof rests on
    OSHA to prove that existing storage and transportation practices are unsafe;
    that the proposed changes in OSHA-2007-0032 would improve safety practices; and
    that proposed changes in OSHA-2007-0032 are not an unconstitutional infringement
    upon civil rights.

What evidence exists that existing practices are so unsafe that they must be
    changed?

What evidence exists that such proposed changes are, or would be, safer?

Can you provide, for public scrutiny, any sources for such obtained evidence?

Until OSHA can explain the questions I have posed, I cannot, as a responsible
    citizen and an avid shooter, support OSHA-2007-0032 proposed changes. They would
    create immense and unnecessary problems for existing businesses relating to the
    manufacture and selling of firearms and their ammunition, and unless such
    practices can be positively linked to a decline in public safety such proposed
    changes are purely whimsical.

A concerned citizen,
    Signed yours truly.

-B

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links