A religious experience? - Page 3

A religious experience?

This is a discussion on A religious experience? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Now you're just having fun with the topic Tourist... I think we have different terms for pacifism. To me pacifism is not trying to stop ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A religious experience?

Now you're just having fun with the topic Tourist...

I think we have different terms for pacifism. To me pacifism is not trying to stop anyone by physical force even as they're reaming you with the ice pick.

Avoiding hurting others as much as possible under a given set of circumstances is simply what separates us from the reasons we choose to look out for ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist
    Tom357,

Your comments prove my point about this issue being 'maligned.' And with it, fine men wince at the idea of being labeled being a pacifist, as they would at being labeled a pansy...
    How so? I disagree. I maligned no one with the term, and made no qualitative judgement of the philosophy. You wish to see malignancy there, so you do. It is not my path, but I respect it. It is possible to embrace pacifism with bravery and honor, as your examples point out. It is also possible to hide behind the label out of cowardice and dishonor, which is, I think, at the heart of your point. There are some who equate pacifism with cowardice and dishonor. I do not make that mistake.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

The reason that Jesus never carried a sword was because He knew that He was destined to die for the sins of man. His admonishment of Peter for cutting off the man's ear was not because of Peter's defending Jesus, it was because Peter was attempting to stop what Jesus already knew had to happen, His Crucifxion, death, and Resurrection.

Jesus wanted His disciples equipped to go forth and spread The Word. That meant knowing His teachings and being prepared to defend themselves against the brigands that were about during that time. He couldn't have been talking about arming themselves with a Bible because there were no Bibles then. And if He was talking about arming themselves with His Word, why would they need to sell their cloaks to get something thewy already had? It was obvious that Jesus wasn't going to need any spending cash on the cross.

Well put ebd10. I concur.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links