Long-Range Sniper Rifle Safety Act of 2007 (Introduced in Senate)

This is a discussion on Long-Range Sniper Rifle Safety Act of 2007 (Introduced in Senate) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Note the interesting difference between this ban attempt and the AWB. This ban reclassified all currently owned .50BMG rifles as Destructive Devices under the ATF ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Long-Range Sniper Rifle Safety Act of 2007 (Introduced in Senate)

Senior Moderator
    Note the interesting difference between this ban attempt and the AWB.

This ban reclassified all currently owned .50BMG rifles as Destructive Devices under the ATF guidelines.

So, if you own one, there are two possibilities:

• If you live in a state that does not allow ownership of DDs, you can turn in your $5,000 (or more) rifle for destruction. You will receive no compensation.
    • If you live in a state that does allow DDs, then you can apply for a tax stamp from the ATF, either with local chief LEO sign-off or with a trust or corporation.

Of course, if the Feinstein / Schumer / Clinton / Kennedy bunch are in control of the White House, you can bet that the ATF won't be issuing many (any) tax stamps at that point.

So you can turn in your very expensive rifle for destruction, without compensation.

Another interpretation is that since NFA items cannot be grandfathered (i.e. you must have registered them and received the magic stamp prior to taking ownership), every .50BMG rifle would become contraband overnight. "Mr. and Mrs. America turn them all in."

Just another insidious step toward Ms. Feinstein's stated goal of confiscating all privately owned guns.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Mr. and Mrs. America turn them all in."
    Anybody that thinks Mr. and Mrs. America would turn them all in is living in fantasy land and should be immediatley instutionalized because they are a danger not only to themselves but to their country.

Yeah...right.
    Some some ugly overweight woman over 1000 miles away is gonna say the magic word and expect me to turn my stuff in. Uh-huh.
    Fanatasy land, Im tellin ya.

People own guns to keep people like her in check. Its about the only thing that the immoral heathens lie awake at night thinking about.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    The NYS Assembly passed a .50 cal ban this year (as they do every year)...you should have heard the discussion...it was discusting.
    One of the representatives actually had the nerve to say something along the lines of :
    this kind of weapon might not be used on police...it could be used on much bigger targets...like us (refering to NY law makers)
    made me sick to hear

then of course there's the whole "shooting down a plane" argument.
    As a NY state resident who has these slugs running my state I am NOT going to say what I think of that statement... nope, not going to do it... may think about it (not personally) but not going to advocate it...

Here is the email I sent to my two senators:

Senator,
    It has come to my attention that S 1331 IS, the "Long-Range Sniper Rifle Safety Act of 2007", was introduced in the Senate back in May.

I know that you have been one of the most vocal representatives in bringing the current presidential administration to task for behavior and actions that most citizens deem misguided and not in the interests of America and her citizens. I thank you for this and ask that you do the same for members of Congress who introduce pointless and frivolous legislation when there are so many more important issues such as the war, unemployment, healthcare, and national education to be working towards solutions for.

I believe the above bill to be a waste of time and effort on an issue that has had little to no ill effects on any American citizen other than those overseas in combat theaters. I ask you to consider the following questions and to pose them yourself to Senator Feinstein and her cosponsors on this bill:

How many people have been murdered by .50 BMG firearms during commission of a crime?

How many instances are on record of long-range sniping with .50 BMG by U.S. citizens? If it represents less than 1/100th of 1% of instances of all murders via firearms, why are you wasting the public's time and money?

Definition of Sniping: To shoot at individuals as opportunity offers from a concealed or distant position, as in: The enemy was sniping from the roofs. In other words, to commit a crime of attacking humans from a concealed position. This is not what citizens do. This is what criminals do, and these actions are already justifiably deemed criminal, murderous acts (ie, Muhammad & Malvo, in 2002).

Why must "loaded" terms consistently be used to villify and demonize firearms of all kinds (ie, "sniper" rifle), regardless of the intended purpose, most-common purpose, actual usage and recorded instances of lawless usage by criminals? What does any of this have to do with the liberties of upstanding citizens, other than unwarranted restriction of those liberties?

What is the dramatic urgency that justifies this, among all the things that could be done by a senator, as needing attention? What grave social damage will be halted via this legislation? Of what possible use would such legislation be, beyond salving the consciences of an offended few?

I appreciate your service and your time and I hope to hear from you on this issue. Thank you.

LCPL SemperGumby
    Co A, 1/25, 4 MARDIV, USMCR
    OIF 5-7
    Thanks to ccw9mm for the use of those questions that were the meat and potatoes of my emails. Very succinct and with wonderful logic that will be hard to ignore. Hopefully they will actually read it and I won't just get a form letter reply from a staffer.
    Mike

Spring Break Fallujah '06
    "Always Flexible"

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DOGOFWAR01 View Post
    Where is the NRA, SAF, GOA ?

Are they fighting this tooth and nail ?
    What makes you think they aren't?

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    What makes you think they aren't?
    McClure / Volkmer circa 1984, maybe 1985.

Here's my take on it: By just reading the statements made by these bags of pus, it is easy to see that the "ruling class" has absolutely no interest in the truth. They have an interest in fulfilling their agenda, which includes ultimately disarming every American citizen.

Waging a reasoned, cogent argument based upon cold hard facts is absolutely wasted on them - you might as well be sending such letters to "Santa Claus - North Pole" for all the good it will do. They do not care that there is no basis in truth for their arguments - they already know that. Lying is just another tool in their "political bag of tricks". As such, informing them of facts that they are already aware of is meaningless.

The salient point, imho, is one of a centralized federal government that is totally out of control. They no longer see us as those served, but as those who serve. They are now our masters, rather than our servants and they fully well know it.

The US Constitution laid out a blueprint for a union of individual States (as in individual countries, not political subdivisions of a larger governing body). Since the Civil War, State's Rights have been erroded away until we now have this out of control monster that totally dominates each of the states. That is not at all how it was originally spelled out. The Federal Government was created to provide a uniform system of weights and measures, a standing navy (a standing army is strictly prohibited), roads and a uniform currency for interstate (international) commerce between the 50 states. All other functions are to be carried out at the State and local level. A county Sheriff is supposed to be the highest law enforcement authority in existance.

Since the US Constitution has not been followed for at least a century, the Federal Behemoth has grown fat and sassy. They will not listen to those they believe to be their "serfs". It ain't gonna happen.

This trend will continue until we have lost every single one of our civil liberties UNLESS a grass roots political movement develops in which the carreer politicos get tossed out on their fat, lying arses. In closing, all I have left to say is : Ron Paul for President!!!

www.ronpaul2008.com

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland View Post
    In closing, all I have left to say is : Ron Paul for President!!!

www.ronpaul2008.com
    Truer words were never spoken.

-B

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    Correct me if I am wrong, but hasn't Kennedy's car killed more people than all of the .50 BMG's in this country since the mid 60's?
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mech1369dlw View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but hasn't Kennedy's car killed more people than all of the .50 BMG's in this country since the mid 60's?
    I cannot say for certain, but I believe you may be correct.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    BAC, good letter.

I would ask her if there is anyone at all in the U.S. armed services who is trained and competent to SHOOT DOWN a MOVING AIRCRAFT using a .50 BMG.

I mean, unless I'm mistaken, the idea of anyone, trained well or not, using a .50 cal. for the distinct purpose of shooting down aircraft in flight is laughable.

Let's make sure that the public understands this. If enough people do, Feinstein will be too much of a laughing stock for people to take her idiotic proposal seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I mean, unless I'm mistaken, the idea of anyone, trained well or not, using a .50 cal. for the distinct purpose of shooting down aircraft in flight is laughable.
    Unless its full auto. Quite recently (and maybe still?) there were .50 cal machineguns on the decks of naval ships for antiaircraft duties. but single shot? Thats a long shot.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I emailed Feinstein with the following.

I'm not sure if I should expect a response.

-B
    I wouldn't hold your breath.
    If they can get this to pass, the .338 and the 30-06 will come later. You know as well as I do that gun control is the aim.
    More government control over the people is what the democratic party is all about and they buy their votes with social programs and welfare.
    What gets me is that even some educated people keep voting
    for the people that come up with this liberal crap.

It's true, liberalism is a mental disorder.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

More people have been killed by the .22 than by .50 BMG.

It's all about gun control and control of the people.

GOOD GUN CONTROL is Being Able To Hit Your Target!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    The Government should be afraid of its citizens. That is the only check against tryanny. The way I see it every able law abiding decent American should have a full auto M-16, .50 sniper rifle, 12 gauge shotgun, 9mm/45 ACP pistols and a boat load of ammo.

"Some may say I'm a dreamer, but I not the only one."

and a .30 minigun or a .50 Browning M2
    maybe an M1 Abrams tank (family car/sport ute)

Check out the Free State Project

How does the economy really work? Mises Institute

Laissez Faire Books offers an extensive collection of books on liberty, free markets, philosophy, economics, politics and history.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links