Long-Range Sniper Rifle Safety Act of 2007 (Introduced in Senate)

This is a discussion on Long-Range Sniper Rifle Safety Act of 2007 (Introduced in Senate) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone else hear of this...this is the first I'm seeing of it even though it's been around for a while. New federal .50 cal ban...well ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long-Range Sniper Rifle Safety Act of 2007 (Introduced in Senate)

Anyone else hear of this...this is the first I'm seeing of it even though it's been around for a while. New federal .50 cal ban...well actually it would redeclare it (and other guns) as a Destructive Device subject to NFA restrictions and registration.

Was introduced May 8th but I just heard about it now. Maybe it's old news to you guys but thought I'd post it anyway.

thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c110:S.1331:

All the usual suspects are the sponsors

This one looks like it can actually ban more than just he .50 since it deals with muzzle energy ...again this might be old news, but I hadn't heard of it yet..

Here is the text:

S 1331 IS

110th CONGRESS

1st Session

S. 1331
    To regulate .50 BMG caliber sniper rifles.

IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES

May 8, 2007
    Mrs. FEINSTEIN (for herself, Mr. KENNEDY, Mr. LEVIN, Mr. MENENDEZ, Ms. MIKULSKI, Mrs. CLINTON, Mr. DURBIN, Mrs. BOXER, Mr. LAUTENBERG, Mr. SCHUMER, and Mr. DODD) introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A BILL
    To regulate .50 BMG caliber sniper rifles.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Long-Range Sniper Rifle Safety Act of 2007'.

SEC. 2. COVERAGE OF .50 BMG CALIBER SNIPER RIFLES UNDER THE GUN CONTROL ACT OF 1968.

(a) In General- Section 921(a)(4)(B) of title 18, United States Code, is amended--

(1) by striking `any type of weapon' and inserting the following: `any--

`(i) type of weapon'; and

(2) by striking `and' at the end and inserting the following: `or

`(ii) .50 BMG caliber sniper rifle; and'.

(b) Definition of .50 BMG Caliber Sniper Rifle- Section 921(a) of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following:

`(36) The term `.50 BMG caliber sniper rifle' means--

`(A) a rifle capable of firing a center-fire cartridge in .50 BMG caliber, including a 12.7 mm equivalent of .50 BMG and any other metric equivalent; or

`(B) a copy or duplicate of any rifle described in subparagraph (A), or any other rifle developed and manufactured after the date of enactment of this paragraph, regardless of caliber, if such rifle is capable of firing a projectile that attains a muzzle energy of 12,000 foot-pounds or greater in any combination of bullet, propellant, case, or primer.'.

SEC. 3. COVERAGE OF .50 BMG CALIBER SNIPER RIFLES UNDER THE NATIONAL FIREARMS ACT.

(a) In General- Section 5845(f) of the National Firearms Act (26 U.S.C. 5845(f)) is amended--

(1) by striking `and (3)' and inserting `(3) any .50 BMG caliber sniper rifle (as that term is defined in section 921 of title 18, United States Code); and (4)'; and

(2) by striking `(1) and (2)' and inserting `(1), (2), or (3)'.

(b) Modification to Definition of Rifle- Section 5845(c) of the National Firearms Act (26 U.S.C. 5845(c)) is amended by inserting `or from a bipod or other support' after `shoulder'.

SEC. 4. IMPLEMENTATION.

Not later than 30 days after the date of enactment of this Act, the Attorney General shall implement regulations providing for notice and registration of .50 BMG caliber sniper rifles as destructive devices (as those terms are defined in section 921 of title 18, United States Code, as amended by this Act) under this Act and the amendments made by this Act, including the use of a notice and registration process similar to that used when the USAS-12, Striker 12, and Streetsweeper shotguns were reclassified as destructive devices and registered between 1994 and 2001 (ATF Ruling 94-1 (ATF Q.B. 1994-1, 22); ATF Ruling 94-2 (ATF Q.B. 1994-1, 24); and ATF Ruling 2001-1 (66 Fed. Reg. 9748)). The Attorney General shall ensure that under the regulations issued under this section, the time period for the registration of any previously unregistered .50 BMG caliber sniper rifle shall end not later than 7 years after the date of enactment of this Act.

2. Remove Ads

She's compensating for something. Perhaps for her gravy-train slurping husband whose sweetheart deals of "government" contracts effectively put him and her on the public dole.

Same ol', same ol'. It's nothing more than an attack on human reason, which has become her metier while in office.

Questions for Feinstein et al:

• How many people have been murdered by .50 BMG firearms during commission of a crime?

• How many instances are on record of long-range sniping with .50 BMG by U.S. citizens? If it represents less than 1/100th of 1% of instances of all murders via firearms, why are you wasting the public's time and money?

• When most every caliber of bullet larger than .22LR has the capacity to stop the human animal, what possible difference does having an X-ft-lbs ceiling make to the suitability of a given firearm for its intended purpose?

• def. Sniping: To shoot at individuals as opportunity offers from a concealed or distant position, as in: The enemy was sniping from the roofs. In other words, to commit a crime of attacking humans from a concealed position. This is not what citizens do. This is what criminals do, and these actions are already justifiably deemed criminal, murderous acts (ie, Muhammad & Malvo, in 2002).

• Why must "loaded" terms consistently be used to villify and demonize firearms of all kinds (ie, "sniper" rifle), regardless of the intended purpose, most-common purpose, actual usage and recorded instances of lawless usage by criminals? What does any of this have to do with the liberties of upstanding citizens, other than unwarranted restriction of those liberties?

• What is the dramatic urgency that justifies this, among all the things that could be done by a senator, as needing attention? What grave social damage will be halted via this legislation? Of what possible use would such legislation be, beyond salving the consciences of an offended few?

... were reclassified as destructive devices ...
    Yeah, and all firearms should be understood to be such things from the outset. Just like screwdrivers should be classified as "sharp, pointy objects" and fire extinguisher contents should be classified as "flame resistant materials." Somebody's missing something.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    [*]What is the dramatic urgency that justifies this, among all the things that could be done by a senator, as needing attention? What grave social damage will be halted via this legislation? Of what possible use would such legislation be, beyond salving the consciences of an offended few?
    The NYS Assembly passed a .50 cal ban this year (as they do every year)...you should have heard the discussion...it was discusting.
    One of the representatives actually had the nerve to say something along the lines of :
    this kind of weapon might not be used on police...it could be used on much bigger targets...like us (refering to NY law makers)
    made me sick to hear

then of course there's the whole "shooting down a plane" argument.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    and so, the attack begins on the only weapons supposedly held sacred by Feinstein, etc. : hunting rifles.

This is a very sneaky and incrementalist way to do it, but I'm sure every one here can see through it. This bill has nothing to do with .50 BMG. That's a smoke screen to make people overlook the real meat.

`(B) a copy or duplicate of any rifle described in subparagraph (A), or any other rifle developed and manufactured after the date of enactment of this paragraph, regardless of caliber, if such rifle is capable of firing a projectile that attains a muzzle energy of 12,000 foot-pounds or greater in any combination of bullet, propellant, case, or primer.'.
    All it takes if this becomes law is a few low-key amendments here and there lowing the muzzle-energy limit and removing the "developed after this date" clause, and next thing you know, 30-06, .308, etc. rifles will start falling over the limit, in very hot loadings.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Questions for Feinstein et al:
    With troops actively engaged in combat in at least two countries, with the current state of affairs of issues such as illegal aliens and health care, and with major threats to us from countries such as North Korea and Iran, how can you waste your time and my money non-issues such as this?
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

BAC
    I emailed Feinstein with the following.

Please explain the reasoning behind the Long-Range Sniper Rifle Safety Act of 2007.

How many weapons, as described in the proposed bill, have ever been used in the commission of a crime?

How often have such weapons, as described in the proposed bill, been used for murders in the United States?

How many such weapons, as described in the proposed bill, have ever shot down an airplane, or hit a car from a mile away, or any other such allegations?

How many such weapons, as described in the proposed bill, have been confiscated from the persons or automobiles of a criminal? For those that have been, have any of them been used in the commission of a crime?

How is the .50 BMG rifle any different than the .338 Lapua? Or a 30-06 large game rifle? Why does this one rifle present such a threat, when throughout its existence it has never proven to be a credible threat?

Are residents of of the United States under a threat from highly-trained snipers armed with .50 BMG rifles? If so, what evidence is there to support this?

I thank you for your time, and sincerely hope, for the good of this country at all stages of its life, that legislation will not pass that has not been properly analyzed and thought through.

-Brian
    I'm not sure if I should expect a response.

-B

BAC, I applaud your effort. I do respectfully suggest that you continue to breathe deeply while you wait for a reasoned response.

E gads. Taking down a plane with less than a full auto would be some feat. I guess when I get the money together for mine it will have to be a .499 cal.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Where is the NRA, SAF, GOA ?

Are they fighting this tooth and nail ?

Let's look at the obvious...

How many police depts have a .50 as a "sniper" rifle since this seems to be the "best" we have?

I mean they do get the best, right? It's a "sniper" rifle since it's .50, right?

Then what's the 12 g shotgun since that's .72 to .73? And the 10 g too? They always find a reason... and we need to fight back even harder. I have yet to hear of one case where somebody used a 10K priced (or more) rifle using $30-50 bullets to commit a crime. This is so obvious that I really wonder about the sanity of these people.

How many real "snipers" use the .50?

How about my 50 caliber flintlock shooting patch and ball? Jeez!

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    The Government should be afraid of its citizens. That is the only check against tryanny. The way I see it every able law abiding decent American should have a full auto M-16, .50 sniper rifle, 12 gauge shotgun, 9mm/45 ACP pistols and a boat load of ammo.

"Some may say I'm a dreamer, but I not the only one."
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

VIP Member
    As has been said, it's not about the .50BMG per se, but about incrimental control. The Barret and its ilk are large, powerful, scary looking weapons that Mrs. Sally Soccer Mom has absolutely no exposure to - her daddy never used one for deer hunting, her uncles didn't take one to the skeet range. It is therefore that much easier to convince her that it is the "weapon of choice" for street thugs and other criminals.

Just like the vast majority of gun-control measures, this is intentionally based on lies, mis-information, emotional manipulation, and "feel good" BS, and it's intended result is not the control of guns, but the control of people.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

There are very, very few people who can hit a small target with the .50 at any greater range than they would have been able to hit that same target with a common 'scoped deer rifle. In Viet Nam, hits were made at extreme distances with the 308. During the Civil War, a general was killed with a black powder muzzle loading rifle at an honest mile.

Obviously, it ain't the 50BMG that the anti-s are after!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Why don't our politicans spen their time doing something worth
    while for a change.50 cal rifles are expensive to own and shoot which
    do not make them attractive to crooks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links