What happened in/to the UK Shooters?

This is a discussion on What happened in/to the UK Shooters? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was loafing over on the Brady gun control blog for entertainment and someone posted this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkS2BRoCd2I I had not seen it before and ...

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar

I was loafing over on the Brady gun control blog for entertainment and someone posted this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkS2BRoCd2I

I had not seen it before and thought it worth a post here since it is a take that we normally don't see on UK citizens .

Now i know some of our members lived thru the firearms " Witch hunt" in the UK and feel for them. However what struck me is the fact that not one of the folks in the vid so much as mentioned defense of self and family as a reason to resent the travesty that was put on them by their government . A lot was said about " tradition " and " sport" but not one word said about a free mans right to defend himself and his family by the best means possible . Under Old English common law as i understand it every free man was not only required to have one of the feared English Long Bows , but be proficient with it . What a Nation that was , and what an Empire that mindset built. What the hell happened to bring such a great people to this sad state we see today ?
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Assistant Administrator
    Bob - seeing as SD was never for most folks a legal option regarding firearms ...... the majority would probably not have mentioned it - or at least may have wanted to but nothing about guns and SD was legal for them.

True - go back far enough and things were different but you have to go back to an era soon after WWII. IIRC 1964 Firearms Act about buttoned everything up to make it all very restrictive, thus the main emphasis was thereafter ''sporting''.

Of course, any owners naturally had and probably did regard their guns as potential for defence, of the home.

Much was down to what we have to guard against so much - incrementalism. Plus, overall neither party in Gov was really gun friendly and the populace as a whole was paranoidal anti too. One's vote in this regard really counted for little ... heads they won - tails we lost.

I still maintain now, little short of a revolution would change anything much.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Chris , Knowing you have lived thro it once .. I suspect you will do all in your power to see it never happens to you AGAIN . We are not at the point that we here in the USA may wake up as the fella said as a felon if we dont surrender some or all of our guns ... but we are not as far off of it as many think ... folks in the UK thought it cant happen here too . I know the vid is old news , especialy for you and a few others on the board , but its a timely reminder none the less , especialy in an election cycle .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Links