Charles Grennel (Army Reservist) to Jill Edwards (University of Washington)

This is a discussion on Charles Grennel (Army Reservist) to Jill Edwards (University of Washington) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Move this thread if you think it belongs elsewhere. It is a long letter but well worth the read... This letter was written by Charles ...

Thread: Charles Grennel (Army Reservist) to Jill Edwards (University of Washington)

Move this thread if you think it belongs elsewhere. It is a long letter but well worth the read...

This letter was written by Charles Grennel and his comrades who are veterans of the Global War On Terror. Grennel is an Army Reservist
    who spent two years in Iraq and was a principal in putting together the first Iraq elections, January of 2005.

It was written to Jill Edwards, a student at the University of Washington who did not want to honor Medal of Honor winner USMC Colonel
    Greg Boyington.

Ms. Edwards and other students (and faculty) do not think those who serve in the U.S. armed services are good role models.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    To: Edwards, Jill (student, UW)

Subject: Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs

Miss Edwards,

I read of your "student activity" regarding the proposed memorial to Col. Greg Boyington, USMC and a Medal of Honor winner. I suspect you
    will receive a bellyful of angry e-mails from conservative folks like me.

You may be too young to appreciate fully the sacrifices of generations of servicemen and servicewomen on whose shoulders you and your fellow students stand. I forgive you for the untutored ways of youth and your naiveté. It may be that you are, simply, a sheep. There's no
    dishonor in being a sheep --- as long as you know and accept what you are.

William J. Bennett, in a lecture to the United States Naval Academy on November 24, 1997, said: "Most of the people in our society are sheep.
    They are kind, gentle, productive creatures who can only hurt one another by accident." We may well be in the most violent times in history, but
    violence is still remarkably rare. This is because most citizens are kind, decent people who are not capable of hurting each other, except by
    accident or under extreme provocation. They are sheep.

Then there are the wolves, and the wolves feed on the sheep without mercy. Do you believe there are wolves out there who will feed on the
    flock without mercy? You better believe it! There are evil men in this world, and they are capable of evil deeds. The moment you forget that or pretend it is not so, you become a sheep. There is no safety in denial.

Then there are sheepdogs, and I'm a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf. If you have no capacity for violence then
    you are a healthy productive citizen, a sheep. If you have a capacity for violence and no empathy for your fellow citizens, then you have defined
    an aggressive sociopath, a wolf. But, what if you have a capacity for violence, and a deep love for your fellow citizens? What do you have
    then? A sheepdog, a warrior, someone who is walking the unchartered path. Someone who can walk into the heart of darkness, into the universal human phobia and walk out unscathed.

We know that the sheep live in denial, that is what makes them sheep. They do not want to believe that there is evil in the world. They can
    accept the fact that fires can happen which is why they want fire extinguishers, fire sprinklers, fire alarms and fire exits throughout their kids' schools.

But, many of them are outraged at the idea of putting an armed police officer in their kid's school. Our children are thousands of times more
    likely to be killed or seriously injured by school violence than fire, but the sheep's only response to the possibility of violence is denial. The
    idea of someone coming to kill or harm their child is just too hard. So, they chose the path of denial.

The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog.. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference,
    though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheep dog who intentionally harms the lowliest little
    lamb will be punished and removed. The world cannot work any other way, at least not in a representative democracy or a republic such as ours.

Still, the sheepdog disturbs the sheep. He is a constant reminder that there are wolves in the land. They would prefer that he didn't tell them where to go, or give them traffic tickets, or stand at the ready in our airports in camouflage fatigues holding an M-16. The sheep would much rather have the sheepdog cash in his fangs, spray paint himself white and go, "Baa." Until the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog.

The students, the victims, at Columbine High School were big, tough high school students and, under ordinary circumstances, they would not
    have had the time of day for a police officer. They were not bad kids; they just had nothing to say to a cop. When the school was under attack,
    however, and SWAT teams were clearing the rooms and hallways, the officers had to physically peel those clinging, sobbing kids off of them.

This is how the little lambs feel about their sheepdog when the wolf is at the door. Look at what happened after September 11, 2001 when the
    wolf pounded hard on the door. Remember how America, more than ever before, felt differently about their law enforcement officers and military
    personnel?

Understand that there is nothing morally superior about being a sheepdog; it is just what you choose to be. Also, understand that a sheepdog is a funny critter: He is always sniffing around out on the perimeter, checking the breeze, barking at things that go bump in the night and yearning for a righteous battle. That is, the young sheepdogs yearn for a righteous battle. The old sheepdogs are a little older and wiser, but they move to
    the sound of the guns when needed, right along with the young ones.

Here is how the sheep and the sheepdog think differently. The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day.
    After the attacks on September 11, 2001, most of the sheep, that is, most citizens in America said, "Thank God I wasn't on one of those
    planes."

The sheepdogs, the warriors, said, "Dear God, I wish I could have been on one of those planes. Maybe I could have made a difference."

You want to be able to make a difference. There is nothing morally superior about the sheepdog, the warrior, but he does have one real
    advantage. Only one. And, that is that he is able to survive and thrive in an environment that destroys 98 percent of the population.

There was research conducted a few years ago with individuals convicted of violent crimes. These cons were in prison for serious,
    predatory crimes of violence: assaults, murders and killing law enforcement officers.

The vast majority said that they specifically targeted victims by body language: slumped walk, passive behavior and lack of awareness. They
    chose their victims like big cats do in Africa, when they select one out of the herd that is least able to protect itself. Some people may be
    destined to be sheep and others might be genetically primed to be wolves or sheepdogs. But, I believe that most people can choose
    which one they want to be, and I'm proud to say that more and more Americans are choosing to become sheepdogs.

Seven months after the attack on September 11, 2001, Todd Beamer was honored in his hometown of Cranbury, New Jersey. Todd, as you recall, was the man on Flight 93 over Pennsylvania who called on his cell phone to alert an operator from United Airlines about the hijacking.

When they learned of the other three passenger planes that had been used as weapons, Todd and the other passengers confronted the terrorist hijackers. In one hour, a transformation occurred among the passengers - athletes, business people and parents --- from sheep to sheepdogs, and together they fought the wolves...ultimately saving an unknown number of lives on the ground.

"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men." - Edmund Burke. Here is the point I like to emphasize,
    especially to the thousands of police officers and soldiers I speak to each year. In nature, the sheep, real sheep, are born as sheep. Sheepdogs are born that way, and so are wolves. They didn't have a choice.

But, you are not a critter. As a human being, you can be whatever you want to be. It is a conscious, moral decision. If you want to be a
    sheep, then you can be a sheep and that is okay, but you must understand the price you pay. When the wolf comes, you and your loved ones are going to die if there is not a sheepdog there to protect you.

If you want to be a wolf, you can be one, but the sheepdogs are going to hunt you down and you will never have rest, safety, trust or love. But, if you want to be a sheepdog and walk the warrior's path, then you must make a conscious and moral decision every day to dedicate, equip and prepare yourself to thrive in that toxic, corrosive moment when the wolf comes knocking at the door.

This business of being a sheep or a sheepdog is not a yes-no dichotomy. It is not an all-or-nothing, either-or choice. It is a matter of degrees, a
    continuum. On one end is an abject, head-in-the-sand-sheep and on the other end is the ultimate warrior.

Few people exist completely on one end or the other. Most of us live somewhere in between.

Since 9-11 almost everyone in America took a step up that continuum, away from denial. The sheep took a few steps toward accepting and
    appreciating their warriors, and the warriors started taking their job more seriously. It's okay to be a sheep, but do not kick the sheepdog.

Indeed, the sheepdog may just run a little harder, strive to protect a little better and be fully prepared to pay an ultimate price in battle
    and spirit with the sheep moving from "baa" to "thanks."

We do not call for gifts or freedoms beyond our lot. We just need a small pat on the head, a smile and a thank you to fill the emotional tank
    which is drained protecting the sheep. And, when our number is called by "The Almighty," and day retreats into night, a small prayer before the
    heavens just may be in order to say thanks for letting you continue to be a sheep. And, be grateful for the thousands --- millions --- of
    American sheepdogs who permit you the freedom to express even bad ideas.

excellent letter

I really liked this:
    Still, the sheepdog disturbs the sheep. He is a constant reminder that there are wolves in the land. They would prefer that he didn't tell them where to go, or give them traffic tickets, or stand at the ready in our airports in camouflage fatigues holding an M-16. The sheep would much rather have the sheepdog cash in his fangs, spray paint himself white and go, "Baa." Until the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog.

It's a sad commentary on contemporary "civilization" when being reminded there are wolves causes those who fear wolves to fear sheepdogs. I believe it's completely true.

I'm no sheepdog by profession. I certainly have stepped up on several occasions to assist, help, thwart violence. I have helped provide medical attention, though strictly in a support capacity. I have run to get help while others stayed with the victims. I have stood with a group of people silently preparing to defend against the risk of a mob spilling over to the "non-combatants" (briefly, until that situation dissipated). I've helped a friend who was under attack. I've defended myself on several occasions, once since carrying that required drawing. All in all, that's plenty for an average person across 30yrs of being out and about. Does any of that earn a medal or commendation? Not worthy of it, though I've earned respect for myself knowing I helped and would do so again. I hope I don't see another situation ... though I know with certainly I will, at some point. And I'll gladly step up to do what's necessary.

Still, all of that pales in comparison to the level of commitment, dedication and effort reached by those who would selflessly defend an entire foreign people against the violent and the murderous, to help rebuild their country for their own long-term benefit. It's hard to understand how someone could justify "spitting" on the person who makes such a commitment and take such a stand.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Yeah, we owe our service men and women, and our law enforcement officers a debt we can never actually repay. But, we can offer our gratitude and commitment to supporting them in their efforts.

Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep; And thank you Lord for the protection of the warriors on duty between society and the ravenous wolves.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Senior Moderator
    Nice letter,

Sheepdogs are sheepdogs no matter their profession, they must help/protect the sheep. Just as wolves are incapable of doing anything but preying on the weak/innocent.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Kinda makes you want to put a "sheepdog" bumper sticker on my car.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Belgian sheepdog

just like with our soldiers the sheep must realize that the sometimes vicious sheep dog is a necessary evil. because in order to protect someone or something you must be able and WILLING to resort to EXTREME amounts of violence if needed. but for some reason sheep only see many things in black and white, not in shades that they are.

Sponsored Links