Defensive Carry banner

Best Buy bans concealed carry in Ohio stores

6K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  JT 
#1 ·
#3 ·
A few years ago, a couple with newly aquired carry permits were made at a local Best Buy and were asked to leave. At the time, the store was not posted. To this day, the store is still not posted.

I enjoy browsing that same store while armed, out of principle. However, I will not buy from that electronics chain. Anyone who is against the right to keep and bear arms does not get my support or my money.

#4 ·
I'm with triggertime - any store dumb enough to want to post signs loses my business - and as many of my fellow shooter's too once I get the word spread.

I would also write a strong letter to the big white chief about it.

That said - in PA it is not a problem but if anyone tries it on - well, bring it on! :wink:

#6 ·
Euc - true, sometimes it is not that effective but - and wish I could find the link - last year on THR we had a huge thread running - IIRC it was to do with an Applebees policy - somewhere, but need to check.

Long and short was - they got bombarded with letters and emails from the huge numbers who saw and followed the thread and - in the end recanted.

I must check the facts if I can - and better still find you the link - it was a great example of ''influence''.

#9 ·
Boycotts can work.

Home Depot did the same thing in Ohio last year. They received a flood of complaints and promises of boycott, including from me. I live in Texas, but I had no doubt that if we let them get away with it in Ohio, they would do it in my state also.

Home Depot quickly reversed their decision and took down the signs in Ohio.

During the short boycott period (about 1-2 weeks) Lowe’s got about $100 from me that would have usually gone to Home Depot.

#10 ·
I just called Best Buy. They confirmed that the policy is in affect in Ohio. She also said that the policy would probably go into affect in all other states. She than told me that “there is no reason for anybody to be carrying a gun in the stores”. I asked her if there has ever been a crime committed in a Best Buy or Best Buy parking lot. She claimed there has never been one committed in a Best Buy Store (I find that very hard to believe). She admitted that there had been crimes committed in the parking lot and could not answer my question about how a person was suppose to defend themselves walking from their car to the store.

She was in a hurry to get me off the phone. I went into the licensing and training a CHL holder receives. I also told her she needs to educate herself before she makes blanket statements like she did. I said more before she rushed me off the phone, but I‘m too angry to type any more right now. It ended on me informing her that I would not be back.

Contact Best Buy by Phone
1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289)

Contact Best Buy Online
www.bestbuy.com

#11 ·
Bumper - :biggrin:

Prospector - I agree with your addtional statement.

Chris is correct. On THR we had Applebees and some other folks swamped with letters, emails and phone calls from not only the folks local to the NO CCW, included from all around the country.

Advising the Corporations that if that is they way they treated folks in Shall Issue Areas, then in support of , they would stop buying and advising why in other parts of the country.

IIRC Kroger was another. There was also another grocery chain, that posted this NO CCW and had something like 4 Armed robberies in like 3 locations in one week . Couldn't understand why - the sign "said" No guns :tongue:

Granted some areas have more restrictive Statues than others. We All need to support each other no matter where - other states and such in the Legislative efforts, and to educate the Corporations as to why.

Seems to me Some Corporations only "heard" from the Anti's and read only the "mi-information". When educated with the truth , Corporations can at least make a more informed decision.

The Story of Susan Gratia Hupp is always a great story to relate to Corporations.

She was the Dr., whom in Luby's in Kileen , TX had to leave her CCW in her vehicle due to state law. She lost both parents that day. She is now a District 54 Rep, and works hard for CCW and other 2A/ RKBA efforts.

#12 ·
As a former Best Buy employee, let me assure you that Best Buy does not, nor will they, take any action to ensure shoppers safety while within their stores or parking lots. Best Buy does, however, have reasonably good within- store security to help in preventing/limiting shrinkage. What it comes down to-no surprise here- is Best Buy is concerned with one thing and one thing only-protecting inventory, not ensuring the safety of you or your family. I have e-mailed Best Buy Corporate with my thoughts regarding this, but I seriously doubt I will receive any response, let alone a favorable response. There are MANY other retail establishments that will welcome our guns as well as our $$$. Say what you will regarding Wal-Mart, but at least they do support our right to carry.

#13 ·
Magic #500 Post!!

sm said:
Bumper - :biggrin:

Prospector - I agree with your addtional statement.

Chris is correct. On THR we had Applebees and some other folks swamped with letters, emails and phone calls from not only the folks local to the NO CCW, included from all around the country.

Advising the Corporations that if that is they way they treated folks in Shall Issue Areas, then in support of , they would stop buying and advising why in other parts of the country.

IIRC Kroger was another. There was also another grocery chain, that posted this NO CCW and had something like 4 Armed robberies in like 3 locations in one week . Couldn't understand why - the sign "said" No guns :tongue:

Granted some areas have more restrictive Statues than others. We All need to support each other no matter where - other states and such in the Legislative efforts, and to educate the Corporations as to why.

Seems to me Some Corporations only "heard" from the Anti's and read only the "mi-information". When educated with the truth , Corporations can at least make a more informed decision.

The Story of Susan Gratia Hupp is always a great story to relate to Corporations.

She was the Dr., whom in Luby's in Kileen , TX had to leave her CCW in her vehicle due to state law. She lost both parents that day. She is now a District 54 Rep, and works hard for CCW and other 2A/ RKBA efforts.
I'd love it if Gratia-Hupp ran for federal office. We need more like her in DC!

Denny's pulled this crap a few years ago. My gun club and several other regional clubs in south Florida used to go en masse to a Denny's with a sign posted banning CCW's. We'd all go in, about thirty of us and you could always see the manager with $$$ signs in his eyes. Then somebody would point out the sign and we would all get indignant and storm out and the manager would be chasing us all the way pleading about corporate policy and then we'd leave him looking glum and go to the next Denny's. Grand way to spend a Saturday with friends, especially after an IDPA match. Denny's AND Blockbuster video were dissuaded from this policy very quickly.

#14 ·
Well okay here you go:

To Whom it May Concern:

It has come to my attention lately that Best Buy stores discriminate unfairly against certain members of the general public.

These people are often welcomed by other retail establishments but not Best Buy. These people are lawful citizens who have concealed handgun permits.

Anyone who possesses a concealed handgun permit has never committed a felony, has their fingerprints on file with both the local authorities and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, has had extensive background checks, and has passed mandatory training by the state.

Simultaneously, there are recorded incidents of retail stores such as Best Buy being targetted for robbery due to the presence of signs which state that persons with concealed handgun permits are not welcome. If there is less risk associated with robbing your stores than there is with your competitors, this makes me personally feel safer in your competition's stores.

You'll find many if not most people with concealed handgun permits are typically lawyers, doctors, business people, accountants, engineers, educators, and the like. These are people who either make use of the products you sell extensively and/or they are people with disposable income who like to buy fine eletronics for recreational purposes. If you do not get their business your competition will.

Would Best Buy not allow someone in their stores just because they have a permit to operate large commercial vehicles? Would Best Buy not allow someone in their store just because they have a permit to sell tobacco and/or alcohol?

It makes no sense for Best Buy to discriminate against a group of people simply because they possess a legal permit to do, own, carry, or operate something, especially when it means less in the way of sales.

There is a Best Buy opening approximately 3000 feet from me. A competing store is opening up not 150 feet away from your new location. I'd hate to think I couldn't shop at Best Buy while I was being welcomed at the other store.
That's true too, they literally are about to open a Best Buy and a Target and a couple of other stores very close to me. If CHLs aren't welcome at Best Buy I simply won't go in there because there's an alternative right next to it. Their loss.

#16 ·
armoredman said:
Nice card, but could someone update it from an HR .32 revolver to something a little better? I would love to hand those out....
Someone more creative will have to do that but I also had this one specifically for Texas if anyone wants it....

#17 ·
Store Policy is one thing....thank God, I've yet to see an establishment in Texas that tries to post a sign saying no guns....get it right! Specifically, the law mandates "exactly" what has to be posted and where. Obviously, non of the stores I've been to have ever read the law, so their futile efforts to prohibit me from carrying in their establishment are impotent. Yahoo! I carry. :tongue:

#18 ·
Randy - glad you posted that card image - I have meant to make up something on that line - and will try and make a new one very similar when time - if OK with you - probably a close copy but tweaked a bit.

#20 ·
P95Carry said:
Randy - glad you posted that card image - I have meant to make up something on that line - and will try and make a new one very similar when time - if OK with you - probably a close copy but tweaked a bit.
Help yourself, P95, they were snatched from somewhere a long time ago but can't remember where. I would like to have a good one to print out maybe 4 to a page and leave them at stores when I notice their sign. Boycotting doesn't help unless they know you are boycotting them.... :biggrin:

#21 ·
Thank God for WA. Businesses can post all they want.....and if they do make me (never happen), all they can do is ask me to leave.

Moreover, not many places in WA have the silly signs. In fact they're INCREDIBLY scarce. The only place I can think of off the top of my head is the local Westfield mall chains, and anyone who knows anything about WA malls knows that know prudent CCWer would be caught there unarmed, especially in the parking lots.

#23 ·
#25 ·
Emailed em, let em know I will not shop their stores. I believe contacting em may help reverse policy. After all look at the # of CCW issuing states anymore.

#26 ·
I thought it had fallen on deaf ears but I got this in my email today:

Thank you for contacting Best Buy. I'm Ken with Customer Care and I
apologize I was not able to respond sooner.

We appreciate your concern with our stores displaying signs banning
guns on the premises. We are committed to abiding to all state and local
regulations, and we are also committed to the safety of our customers
and employees. Best Buy does not have a company-wide policy prohibiting
customers from lawfully carrying hand guns in our stores. Signs
prohibiting the lawful carrying of guns in our stores have been removed or will
be removed in the near future.

We apologize for any misunderstanding this matter has caused. Best Buy
strives to provide our customers with the highest level of service,
convenience and selection. We value receiving your comments so we may use
this feedback to improve the shopping and service experience for all
our customers.

Thank you for sharing your comments with Best Buy. Please don't
hesitate to contact us with additional questions or concerns.

Best wishes from Best Buy,
Ken and the Customer Care Team
Some of you guys in Ohio see if they make good on that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.