Time to admit the 'gun nuts' are right

This is a discussion on Time to admit the 'gun nuts' are right within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Time to admit the 'gun nuts' are right By Keith C. Burris 08/03/2007 Email to a friendPost a CommentPrinter-friendly In the aftermath of the Petit ...

Thread: Time to admit the 'gun nuts' are right

VIP Member

By Keith C. Burris
    08/03/2007
    Email to a friendPost a CommentPrinter-friendly
    In the aftermath of the Petit family slayings in Cheshire, we all reached for explanations: How do human beings sink this low? How could this tragedy have been prevented? Why?

There are so many nagging questions. They all need to be asked. And maybe some old arguments need to be hashed out again.

Why not a more stringent "three strikes and you're out" law in this state? Connecticut's version is so weak that it's more like "30 strikes and we'll think about it while you strike again."

Why not speed up the criminal trial process for repeat violent offenders? Get them off the streets. It's been proposed many times. Most people agree it should be done. It never happens.

Can't we better monitor the probation process?

Can't we do a better job of predicting -- figuring out which non-violent criminals are about to turn violent?

Are home alarms really effective?

How about dogs?

But somehow all of these ideas pale before the barbarity of this particular crime.

That is why one old question is worth asking again. It is this: What if the Second Amendment is for real? Is it possible that it should it be revered, just like the First Amendment?

Sam Ervin said, "The Constitution should be taken like mountain whiskey -- undiluted and untaxed." Maybe that applies to all of the Constitution.

Is it possible that the Second Amendment is not a quaint and antiquated remnant of a world that will never return, but an idea as relevant and sound today as when it was written?

Is it possible that we are not talking about the right of the government to form a militia when there is no standing army, but the right of the individual to defend himself, or herself, against both tyranny and lawlessness? Maybe we are talking about the right of self-defense -- the right of the individual to take up arms against a government that wants to oppress, be it foreign or domestic. And the right of the individual to defend himself against criminals, brutes, and barbarians when local police seem unable to stop them.

Might the Second Amendment matter almost as much as the First?

I think the answer is yes.

And just like the First, the Second is practical, newly relevant, and far wiser than the watered-down alternatives.

I don't think George Bush wants to impose martial law on his fellow citizens. But he has diluted habeas corpus. And he has enlarged Big Brother. You have to stop and think about a government that wants to control the thoughts and behavior of its people.

Should such a government be permitted to disarm them as well?

And whereas the reform of the criminal justice system along some of the lines suggested above (a real "three strikes" law and faster trials for violent offenders) would not have saved the lives of Jennifer, and Hayley, and Michaela Petit, a gun might have.

I don't say it would have.

I say it might have.

Had Dr. William Petit had access to a gun and known how to use it, he might have been able to dispatch the two perpetrators, who were armed with only an air gun and ropes.

Moreover, the three victims here were women.

What if Mrs. Hawke-Petit had been trained in the use of firearms? Suppose she had been able to get to a gun after her husband was beaten into unconsciousness by the invaders? Or when she was forced to take one captor to the bank to fetch him money?

It's worth thinking about.

Women and children are now the major targets of predators in our society. Government is not protecting them very well. Many professional women who work in cities know this and take courses in self-defense. A gun may be the only realistic self-defense against the sort of criminals we are talking about here.

And if a few women took care of a few thugs in cases like this; if a few stories like this one ended in a different way -- with a woman blowing one of these brutes to kingdom come -- it might be a deterrent. Lives upon lives might be spared.

A friend of mine said: "The gun nuts are back."

They are.

And they are right.

Mind you, we are talking about arming people who are trained and know how to use a weapon.

No one should have a gun who has not been trained.

Just as one gets training in handling a boat, motorcycle, or car, one must learn how to use and safely store a gun. (The National Rifle Association maintains an extensive national network of programs in firearms training and education.)

And, obviously, no one would be forced to own a gun.

A second caveat: Encouraging citizens to arm themselves is no "answer" to crimes like the Petit murders.

An "answer" does not exist.

But it is one of several remedies when we are faced with palpable evil.

All possible remedies should be on the table:

-- Various reforms of the justice system, like a real three-strike-law for predatory offenders.

-- Better psychological treatment for troubled youth.

-- Religious training, in both love and self-restraint, especially when people are young.

-- Prison programs that both retain the hard core and educate the educable.

-- More and better home alarm systems.

-- More cops visible in more neighborhoods.

-- Dobermans.

All of these approaches have merit.

So does self-defense.

None of these options "fix" a society that can produce human beings who torture and kill the defenseless for sport.

No one step or program can plug every hole in America's justice system, or its soul.

But there are times when a gun in the hands of a potential victim may save a life.

Let's admit -- since the murderers, and druggies, and psychos, and thieves already have guns -- that arming the peaceful, law-abiding, decent, and productive people, whether in a school, or a private home, or on the way to a parked car, is an option that also has merit.

--------
    Keith C. Burris is editorial page editor of the Journal Inquirer.
    ©Journal Inquirer 2007
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Wow....what radical thinking!

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

I think he might be onto something there.

Maybe, just maybe, a few more fence sitters will cross over to our side with that one. A few more on our side, is a few less on there side.

Edit to add, This tragidy reminds me of the almost exact same thing in Richmond Jan01, 2006. A family of 4, killed in there own home, the house set on fire to cover it up, and the BG's used box cutters and tape found in the home, no real guns, unfortuinatly no real gun in the hands of the victoms either.

Sad, sad, sad.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Maybe some people are starting to wake up. I hope that is the case.

It is sad that most of that family had to be horribly butchered for some people to begin to see the light.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    It is sad that most of that family had to be horribly butchered for some people to begin to see the light.

...and, unfortunately, many still don't yet understand, either.

Nice post Miggy...
    You're preaching to the choir here...

I also think that today's juveniles should be treated as 'adults' when they do 'adult' crimes...
    We now have 10-12 year olds running around shooting people, car-jacking, and commiting armed robbery...these are not 'kids'...they have earned adult status...they should be treated as such, automatically!

Build more prisons...eliminate good behavior (what is good behavior, anyway?)...eliminate early out, you do ALL your time, period! Lastly, make prisoners work to pay restitution and/or for their room and board. No TV or weights...if you do crime in prison, double the time...each time!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    That has got to be one of the best, most intelligent, most evenly-balanced and reasonable treatises on what we should be doing to combat violent crime that I have ever read.

If anything has the potential to make fence-sitters and even anti-gunners see it our way, that essay does. What can they argue against? He doesn't say guns are a panacea. He says that it is very likely that they are part of what's needed, and have the potential to help greatly. There's simply no arguing with that; anyone who argues with that is not participating in the discussion in good faith.

Senior Moderator
    Great post Miggy
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

It is refreshing to see a journalist who "gets it!"

I wonder what is stand on firearms was like before this happened. If he was a long-time supporter, then his readers would say it was just more of the same. It would be nice if he was a new convert.

Sponsored Links