FBI investigates Sacramento "CCW for favors" ex-sheriff

This is a discussion on FBI investigates Sacramento "CCW for favors" ex-sheriff within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/316453.html FBI looking into permits for favors and political supporters with ex-sheriff. When I had my CCW permit in Sac in the early 1980s, there ...

Thread: FBI investigates Sacramento "CCW for favors" ex-sheriff

http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/316453.html

FBI looking into permits for favors and political supporters with ex-sheriff.

When I had my CCW permit in Sac in the early 1980s, there were over 3,000 issued. When the new sheriff was elected, it dropped to 10% of that. Any way you look at it, this is not the stability and fair application intended by the legislature - even with a "may issue" requirement.

Of course, this abuse would be eliminated with "shall issue" status.

Looks like the sheriff may have been crooked. How does a sheriff deny a retired FBI agent a carry permit based on something called "good cause?"

Denial is easy.

In CA, I believe that even OFF-DUTY but active federal LEO (FBI, DEA, HSA, etc.) may not carry without a CA CCW permit. But don't worry, if the current Democratic legislature in CA has its way, all criminals will need to pass a background check before they can purchase ammunition, and all spent casings from drive-bys will be microstamped so the police can quickly solve the cases.

Yeah, we're really safe in CA. (Talk about denial...) Here's how the current process goes:

Many sheriffs feel that the private citizen is adequately protected by the local LE. Unless they feel that the citizen is not an unusually valuable crime target, the citizen does not have sufficient "good cause" to qualify for a permit. And, in some counties in CA, even if you are a jeweler who must make deliveries carrying very valuable product, you won't qualify.

Generally, if you are engaged in business and can demonstrate, document or reasonably describe the likely danger you face, you can get a CCW limited to your business activities. (Even then, some counties are said to have ZERO issuance, despite judicial orders that such is not using "proper discretionary review.") And CA does not recognize concealed carry permits from ANY other state.

Of course, if you happen to live in a really crappy area and need to walk to the corner store, you're on your own. The permit you might have as a business owner doesn't cover you when you do a midnight stop at the local mini-mart unless you're there on business. (Hopefully, the clerk is armed!)

move up here to el dorado county. Sherrif Jeff is a good guy and pro issue
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Actually, I'm out of Sac for about a decade now. More importantly, the whole process is out of whack. Consider that if even in El Dorado County, should a CCW-hostile sheriff be elected in the next election, you'd face the same issues facing every other CA resident.

It's broken STATEWIDE, just worse in some counties than others. Remember that the next time you vote, and do your best to educate those around you.

Side note: Don't blame the LEO on the street. There is a very vocal dissatisfaction with active and retired LEOs that the process is biased and CA should become "shall issue." Blame the politicians who have put into place and tolerate a system where all are equal, just some are more equal than others.

And that legislation in process now will affect everyone in CA, not just the cities. No more internet ammo purchases either, if they have their way.

lots of talk about former (and current) Sacramento sheriffs over at californiaccw.org. i'm glad to see that the issuance practices of the last couple decades has finally gotten the attention it deserves. i used to live there, up until about six months ago, and unless you're a celebrity or a campaign contributer you'll never get a permit. The current sheriff, John McGinness, made campaign promises to be more lenient with issuance and get rid of the elitist practices of past sheriff's. So far, he's proven to be far worse than his predecesors.

1943 - 2009
    In CA, I believe that even OFF-DUTY but active federal LEO (FBI, DEA, HSA, etc.) may not carry without a CA CCW permit.
    Not true.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Rivers;450977]

Many sheriffs feel that the private citizen is adequately protected by the local LE.
    QUOTE]

Let's see, over 2500 murders and over 190,000 violent crimes in 2005 in California. Most recent year I have stats on. Pelosi speaks like it's so bad in Iraq. Maybe she should look in her own back yard.
    As far as 'protected by LE', how does LE protect them. I know I have no interaction with LE unless I get stopped for speeding, my car or house is broken into to or maybe I say Hi! to an officer in passing. IMO, it's unreasonable to expect police to protect you, I don't. I would have to be accompanied in all my travels and at night a patrol car whould have to be parked in my drive. Oh, and another one would have to accompany my wife all day also.
    There is no way LE has the manpower to really 'protect' citizens. Keep peace, solve crimes, respond to incidents, etc, yes. When it comes down to it, the only person I expect to protect me is me. That's why I carry and I believe any law abiding citizens that wants should be able to, well almost everybody.
    But Mexifornians, I mean Californians have a much bigger problem. I really feel sorry for a lot of you but I'll do that from here. You're going to have to start voting out some of those liberal democrats before things will get better for you. I do believe though that when or if the gun ban in DC stays overturned it is going to help pro-gun forces all around. Good Luck.

+Remember************************************
    GOOD GUN CONTROL Is Being Able To Hit Your Target!
    Last edited by P7fanatic; August 10th, 2007 at 08:14 PM.

In CA, I believe that even OFF-DUTY but active federal LEO (FBI, DEA, HSA, etc.) may not carry without a CA CCW permit.

Not true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Not true.
    For the agencies I quoted, I was mistaken. By federal law, the law enforcement agents who are authorized to carry while on duty are also allowed off duty. This may vary among the agencies but a call to my local FBI field office clarified this. It appears that each agency gets authorized by law individually rather than a blanket authorization.

Once the agent retires or leaves the agency, he MUST apply for a CA CCW to carry in CA. Unless they have better "good cause" than having put away bad guys for the previous couple of decades, in some counties in CA, they're out of luck.

I know a friend who works for the U.S. Bureau of Prisons and he can carry in all 50 states, including CA as a result of the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act that President Bush signed during the pro-gun rights congress.

Maybe somebody in D.C. can find it helpful to write a "Citizens Safety Act," so those of us who are not LEO's can enjoy the same safety they do.

Rivers, I think I know where you got that info. I've heard it before as well.

".....Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act that President Bush signed during the pro-gun rights congress."

They were not that pro-gun rights. They never passed country wide concealed carry for us ordinary folks.

Does anyone know what the penalty in CA is for carry without ccw? I read somewhere that a first time offense wasn't to bad as long as you can't be proved to be a gang member.

God bless

Administrator

Larryes

Please just remember when asking that sort of question that this is a forum focused primarily on legal concealed carry.
    Members might wish to cautiously consider exactly how to word the reply to your question.

Rule #9 ~
    "Discussion of illegal activities except in reporting the actions of others is not allowed.
    Discussion for the purpose of promoting these activities may subject the poster to being banned.
    Simple admission of illegal activity on your part will normally be removed or the poster given the opportunity to edit their admission out of the post.
    Anyone quoting or referencing deleted or edited posts will have their posts edited/removed as well."
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Larryes View Post
    Does anyone know what the penalty in CA is for carry without ccw?
    I believe it's a felony. Even if it was a misdemeanor, that offense would be a major hurdle should the offender ever attempt to complete the CCW application process. That might even be an understatement.

In short, don't even think about it. If you're faced with that serious a self defense issue, look at every other legal means of protection as "the best immediately available" choice. And get moving into the application process while you are actively engaging the political powers to fix a seriously wounded system.

Sponsored Links